Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sizing Windshield for a 55 F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drewski, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Drewski

Drewski

I currently trying to determine the correct size for a new windshield for my chopped 55 F100. I want to eliminate the bulky look of the stock style windshield weather strip. I've seen a few F100s with windshields installed using urethane with a small molding similar to what would be used in a late model car. Not really sure what I might be getting into, I've made a fiberglass pattern of the stock windshield to use to determine the correct size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After pulling the pattern and doing a rough trim to fit the opening, I found the pattern to be a little too flexible so I cut a plywood reinforcement rib, clamped the pattern back on the windshield and glassed in the reinforcement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know if anyone here on the Hamb site has tried this, but I know that we have a lot of guys with glass experience here. How much of a ledge is required for the glass to rest on with a urethane installation. What is the typical gap around the glass for the vinyl T molding to be installed. I fully expected to have to modify the pinch weld area, but after setting the pattern in on some 1/4" blocks to to represent glass thickness I'm not so sure anymore.

I know this is not a traditional install and hopefully I won't have to put on my asbestos coveralls for the suggestions that I may get.

2. Drew, go to your local glass shop and get some samples of the molding.....it comes in several sizes. I'd use the smallest you can. If you can keep the gap small, your pinchweld should be ok. Getting the right height of the glass will be critical in how the finish install looks. The glass needs to set pretty flush with the opening. It may take some trial and error...