Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Sitting and Rotting.............picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jan 31, 2009.

1. bajones238

bajones238
    from SC

I took the pictures at the NH yard. The more artistic pictures were taken by others. Some I found online. I visited Mack Waugh's yard in Georgia about 20 years ago, but was on a parts hunt and did not take any photos at the time,unfortunately.

2. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Well maybe one of the guys at the front office will swoop it up.I'll post after work and let you know the out come.

3. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I would think even Eskimo's living in an igloo would know a 57 Chevy 2 door is worth more than scrap price!!

4. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

I have driven by this thing a hundred times and I finally decided to take a picture. I even walked up to the door to see if it was for sale. The people are renters and the owner is out of state. They said that if I would leave my number, they would ask the next time they talked to him. Honestly, I don't even know what it's worth. I just know that I would rather have it at my house than seeing it rust to pieces where it's at.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  5. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Imagine how much trouble is involved in selling and shipping those old cars down the lower 48 and it starts to make some sense for the scrapyard owner. It's more cost effective for them to crush and stack them on a junk barge headed to where ever.

Shipping logistics probably explains how so many of them ended up staying in AK for all these years too. Not worth the trouble for an average joe and the average car.

6. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

What happened with the '57 Pleeeease tell me SOMEONE had he sense to save it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I often wonder how hard it would be to grab a car from Alaska and bring it to Alberta, it's not ridiculously far... I wonder how the Alaska title system is?

8. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

The out come wasn't good . I have a picture if any one wants to see.

9. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

Still full. We picked up some Econoline stuff this past spring.

10. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

That sucks... might as well post them.

11. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Doesn't anyone there want old cars at all?

12. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Yes me and two guys at the front office, But the owner wants $ metal$ He told us to knock it off with " the cars". the most I can do is get what I can off of them before the day is out......It S U C K S ....

13. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

The Owner has a Desoto . he said" its around here some where" runs drives but he has know idea where it is ?

14. 46stude

46stude

"I don't care what it IS, I care what it WEIGHS."

15. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

:eek:

Exactly :(

16. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

What are cars going for scrap there? Here it's $120/ton.

17. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I think 180 a ton

18. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Yeah, that would get expensive fast I bet...

I could never do your job... elephant prostate exams and playing hot potato with a land mine seem like more fun to a car guy than having to see those cars get wasted.

19. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I know But I would much rather be the guy weighing up someones bags of cans and copper then the guy bringing the cans in to get weighed . The car slaughtering area is out back.I can't help but go back there to see whats come in. I can't seem to go a day with out running back there to have a look and just when I think it can't get any worse .

20. VonKool13

VonKool13

Next time you see something like that siting in front of work, you better drag it home, because that is just plane ridiculous!

21. Gotta say, I'm not diggin' the death row/killing floor pictures.

Sitting and Rotting implied hope that some may be rescued and
    live again.

It's kind of ruined this thread for me.

22. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I know .I thought for sure the guy up front would grab it..Maybe after I'm there a while longer I can figure something out. two of the guys that bring cars in try to give me a heads up if they come across anything "old ". I was saving my asking the boss for that day A 32 ford or some drivable 1950 Cadillac came in!

23. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I deleted what I could Flowmeister .Sorry never wanted to be the guy to ruin anything for any one. My bad.

24. Jay.S

Jay.S

ImageUploadedByTJJ1349161166.488802.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. Jay.S

Jay.S

26. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Just saw this on eBay, so at least it wont be sitting and rotting anymore.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

27. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the second one of these early Gray-Dort engines I have found this summer, sold the last one to the grandson of the founder of the original company for his own restoration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  28. I guess we all have mixed feelings about seeing some of these pics. And there are still waaaay more old classic cars & trucks than collectors with space and $$$ to save all of them; it's just a sad reality. Many of the pics showing one, two, or twenty old classics typifies how some people have tried to save but have to give them up due to loss of storage space, health issues or other reasons. If given a choice I'd much rather see 'em 'sitting and rotting' instead of 'crushing and shipping' them off to the Orient only to come back as cheap & ill-fitting repops. Just MHO Thanks to all who have contributed the great pics & stories here!

29. Sauli

Sauli

Hey LN7, is that front grille mesh somehow unique to Canadian-made ´59 Fords? The pattern on that one looks different from those on the US-made similar cars I´ve seen. And the hood crest looks like one on a Lincoln.
    As I understand, the Canadian "Meteor" -brand cars were based on Mercury´s, right?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  30. jreeder41

jreeder41

It's amazing how far some of the Lycoming motors end up from here. My Great Grandfather worked in the foundry before WW II. I would love to get my hands on that Dort motor.