Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sins Of Steel Saturday June 2nd 2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Feb 29, 2012.

1. I have another dilemma. I don't know anyone that works on cars/ like ours in my area. None of my friends do , so I'm alone with this project. Don't know anyone which don't help. So I have this site as source to ask and parts.. Kinda sucks.

2. As for some of the WTF cars that get in the show. We try..... I didn't work the gate this year, I was parking em. It comes with the territory of a traditional Hot Rod and Kustom show. Unfortunetly any turd thats painted flat black, has a spider web or 2, and a god know why exhaust system gets gets lumped in with "us" . I have seen it at every show from the Pile Up to Lonestar. Hey theres a guy in my neighbor hood that painted his Dodge Colt flat black and the wheels red. Like it or not we get tagged with the "Rat Rod" name and many of the shows we all support as such. Hell now there is a magazine called Ratrod for god sake as well as the OSR magazine... maybe those piles will get popular enough that they will start there own shows and leave us alone....

A word of warning though. If that scene picks up you wont be able to find S-10 parts anymore........

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  3. So I guess I'll be sure not to attend anymore " poor boys shows" since I'm to poor to immediately put paint on my Merc.. Sorry my car is not perfect like the cars in your club!!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  5. Dude! That car is near perfect!

The "piles of shit" we're talking about are the ones like these:

http://multimedia.detroitnews.com/p...0602235939_2012-0602-dm-sins-of-steel0617.jpg

http://multimedia.detroitnews.com/p...0603000658_2012-0602-dm-sins-of-steel1048.jpg

http://multimedia.detroitnews.com/p...0603001722_2012-0602-dm-sins-of-steel1021.jpg

It's about not having a vision of what a traditional hot rod or custom is supposed to look like. It's all about someone just welding a bunch of shit together, on a modern exposed chassis, with skulls and spider webs all over it (or even a fucking Big Bird head).

Your car? It's perfect! A bunch of us are on tight budgets when we build this stuff and most of our cars aren't finished. Some never will be finished, but we don't stop trying. :D

The point is that there are those that have unfinished hot rods and customs (which get labeled as rat rods) and someone that goes out of their way to build a shitty-looking car and has no understanding of the basis of what we do (which also get labled as rat rods). Just for shits-n-giggles, search Craigslist, or eBay, for "rat rod" and you will be amazed at the complete garbage that comes up. Your car? Far from being garbage my friend. I would welcome that ride into driveway ANY time.

Oh yeah... And my car is far from being "done" too.

6. Gator

Gator

Damn dude, lighten up! You took what Matt said COMPLETELY the wrong way - got a chip on your shoulder or what? Nobody was knocking your car - Hell who doesn't like a chopped Merc?

I believe the point he was trying to make is that the general public can't tell the difference in a cool car like this:

[​IMG]

and a TURD like this:

[​IMG]

They're both flat black, so they must both be RAT RODZ, right?

By my count there were maybe half a dozen cars at the show that I would call shitboxes - and at least 4 of those made it into the Detroit News article mentioned earlier - THAT's the point he's trying to make.

BTW here are some of the club cars that were there - see any expensive paint jobs? The FLAT BLACK Caddy belongs to the Detroit Chapter's President.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a couple of the Tennessee guys that made it up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as getting help with your car, I'd be willing to bet if you hung around and got to know the guys in the club you'd have all the help you'd need.

7. I read the flat black paint job.. Thought I would be classified in that lump.. I'm sorry I felt like I was be tossed in there with the others being I happen to park next to that car.. It's gravy fellas.. Now who the fuk wants to help me on my car lol!!!

8. I hear ya brother! I need someone to help me figure out the logistics of my chop job.

I look forward to seeing your Merc in person one day :D

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

What needs done? You're not far....and The Nightmares love to work on old junk.

10. These teardrop headlight bezels.. Bodywork ,interior . Never done this stuff.. My first car

Attached Files:

11. I don't want the tear drop junk.. Need to redo the subframe.. Not center..

12. You obviously DIDN'T read it. Were you driving a primered Dodge Colt????

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Dodge Colts are rad.

14. There will always be a couple cars you don't like, at even the best shows.

If that is enough to ruin your whole week, stay home.

15. Especially flat black ones!!!!

16. Thats perfect Ian..... now someones gonna get upset that you told them to stay home:D...... Thanks you ruined my whole week:D:D:D:D

Thanks for coming out year after year!!!! Can you stripe in the dark???? Midnight Mass 2013!!!

17. xon

xon
    from detroit

They probably let that car in after they met the builder and driver...Young wounded veteran just back from multiple tours in Afghanistan... Working hard as a welder and fabricator...super nice kid.... ya maybe his vision is a little off but he has skills and will only get better...sometimes you let things slide when you see the big picture... i did here he bought a model a and cant wait to start it..so there is more to the story....

Attached Files:

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

alittle off??:rolleyes:
    Beside the fact skills have nothing to do with taste.

19. Thats a killer story. We can all get a touch of the arm chair QB from time to time. I hope he came to the show, had a great time, saw some of the nice cars at the show, and left with a clearer vision on how to handle the Model A. Hell he built it , he digs it, he served our country and is putting the skills he has to use. I dont care what ya'll think I'm saluting the guy.

Would I drive it no, can I appreciate the fact the a young Veteran that served our Country built it with his own two hands with the skills he laerned while defending our freedom --- You bet your F$@# A$$ I can.

Rock On!!!!!!!!!!

20. xon

xon
    from detroit

i know.... point taken....

21. xon

xon
    from detroit

well put tiki........enough said...

22. That attitude is what I love about my Michigan friends :cool: