Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Single Four Barrel vs. Dual Quads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Truckdoctor Andy, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Ok Guys, an honest question, not trying to start a $&@#storm. Why does a single four barrel (allegedly) make more power than a dual quad set up? Is this an urban legend or old wives tale? I’m talking about a dual quad setup that is sized appropriately to the size of the engine. Is the above still true when it comes to drag racing? I was able to attend my first SEGA race last weekend and was surprised at the dual quad setups. Is this done for performance or more for period correct? Thanks for all of your responses.
    Andy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I can say is in 1955-60 with what was available dual quads made more power than a single 4 barrel. When newer designs were made staring in the mid 60’s things changed. One style that didn’t were tunnel-rams. As far as I remember the duals were always better than single on them.
    Today I think it’s because guys just want them.... It worked for me. 70AFE7A3-5D29-4DF1-A98A-D1A588838546.jpeg

3. tjm73

tjm73

Multiple carbs made more power when the single carb options weren't big enough for the engines they were trying to feed.

Truckdoctor Andy and Deuces like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

It depends. But I think you'll find that if both are set up properly, and it's an engine that actually needs more than a single 4bbl to make max HP, then the dual will always make more HP than the single.

you might find that usually, folks are comparing a badly set up dual quad system, to a well set up single. Apples to oranges, as it were.

5. 6sally6

6sally6

Like THEY ^^^ said!
    Dual quads need(to work properly) enough rear gear to "sling" the car into higher RPM's quicker so the engine can be "singing" in upper RPM range with enough cam to feed the engine the air/fuel mix it needs. (along with the proper valve springs/intake/exhaust etc).
    If you ain't got all that other 'stuff' and just "plop" a dual quad set up on it........cause it looks cool, well.......
    it will never work right! Might as well stick with a single carb.
    Those SEGA cars are 'suhhhhh-weeet' aren't they!!!
    Young Blood shifts that SB Ford at 10-12 thousand RPMS! It sings!!
    6sally6

Truckdoctor Andy and Deuces like this.
  6. carbking

carbking

Opinion, but based on a wee bit of experience.

Read Jim's (squirrel) answer above. Agree.

Dual quad manifolds have not changed a lot in the last 50 years, single four manifolds have changed.

50 years ago, no question, dual quads hands down.

Today, probably very close, because of the improved four barrel intakes available.

Either will make significantly more power on a V-8 than tripower.

For street use, the dual quads, if properly sized and adjusted, should be marginally better than the single carb, but more expensive (duh), and somewhat more difficult for some to set up correctly.

Unfortunately, lots of folks buy carbs (either one of two) the way the hillbilly buys shoes (the salesman said my size was 9, but 10's felt so good, I bought 11's) ;)

Jon.

7. The way i understand it, it's the amount of air that the engine (air pump) requires, is that correct? Seems like the majority of cars are "over carbureted"

ekimneirbo and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  8. We had a chance to talk to Colby and he was very cool! His driving is out of this world, and I had no idea they turned so many RPM.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app