Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Simple PCV question SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Aug 3, 2017.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Just a quick, simple question that I can't seem to find an answer to... If I run a PCV in the valve cover on an early SBC, can I get away with running just a breather in the oil fill tube and leave one cover plugged completely? Or should I run a vent on both the valve cover AND oil fill tube?

I asked the question first to make it easy for you guys... Now for my long winded explanation of my situation for those interested:

I just finished up my 327 install in my '60 Biscayne. There was no baffle installed under the intake for the PCV, so, I tried installing a baffled grommet in the hole where the stamped nipple goes in the back of the block. That doesn't work at all; sucks a LOT of oil (1/2 qt in about 20 miles). Eventually I plan to address this and put the correct baffle in, BUT for now I am just going to slap on some different valve covers to get me by while I do some tuning and save up for a 4 speed.

Thank you in advance! I know the HAMB always has my back when I delve into unknown territory!

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm running a PCV in one side and a breather in the other in my 35 tub with no intake oil filler tube. In the 46 I'll do the same but also have an intake oil fill tube with vented cap.. pcv_system_valve_operation.jpg PCV.jpg pcv_system_extracting_moisture.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. The breather cap on the fill tube will work just fine, no need for one in the other valve cover. To get the most effective venting, I would place the PCV in the rear of the right valve cover. Be sure to cap off the draft tube hole in the rear of the engine.

ace5043 likes this.
  4. You will still need a baffle in the valve cover so you don't suck oil.

squirrel likes this.

5. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Thanks for the replies! I ended up running exactly as 57 HEAP said, albeit by sheer coincidence because I had to fix it before I was able to check back here.. PCV on right rear valve cover hole, vented oil fill cap on the tube, and a plug and sealed oil cap on the other VC. And of course plugged the original PCV fitting on the back of the block. Works great so far! When I'm feeling ambitious some weekend I will install the correct baffle under the intake and revert to the original PCV routing, but this will get me by for at least the next fifteen years or so :D