Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shuttle launch & Hot rods in Cocoa Beach?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OL 55, Jul 6, 2011.

1. My son and I are heading to Cocoa Beach Florida this weekend (July 8-10) to hopefully catch the last shuttle launch. Unfortunately, time constraints prohibit driving the 40 down, so we'll be flying in from Maryland but we would still like to check out the local hot rod scene. Are there any cruises, shows, rod shops etc. to check out nearby this weekend? Thanks -

2. pcterm2

pcterm2

check the weather down there first

3. The 2nd saturday of the month, is a cruise in at the Kings Duck Inn, 4155 N. Courtenay Prkwy from 4 PM until? This is Merritt Island, not far at all from the launch. More info call 321-452-5925. Welcome to Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!, FWIW, we are EXTREMELY hot and muggy, we wake up to 80 degrees here so dress accordingly. TR :D If you want to take the trip to Ocala, go to the Big Daddy Don Garlits Museum, you will thank me, and you and your son will remember it the rest of your lives, it's that nice.

4. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

look at me

Attached Files:

5. cryobug

cryobug

New Smyrna has one of the best and biggest cruises I have ever been to the second Sat. of every month. It is at US-1 and Canal street. Canal St. is the first light after the Route 44 overpass. It would be about a hour drive for you but it would be worth it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  6. Merritt Island sounds like a good lead, and thanks for the weather update. I know the Florida summer heat can be oppressive! I've been to Garlits before, and I know it changes often. I'll have to check to see how long of a trip it is. Thanks.

Thanks, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I've seen that picture of your 40 (avatar) before. Very cool. I showed it to my son as he works for NASA and he was impressed as to how you got it inside the fence!

7. cryobug

cryobug

[
    I worked inside the pad for eleven years, mostly LOX some LH2 and payloads. I also work ground support for the fuel cells and ground support for the cooling systems when the orbiter was powered up but never again. I was laid off in April. Three of the four people that I worked with on my shift were laid off. Now I am just an unemployed slug working on my 39 ford coupe and looking for work. I had a offer on the forty in my avatar that I couldn't turn down knowing my job was going away and having three kids in college at the same time. That's why I am building another car. It is almost done. Shame I won't be able to get a photo of it on the pad. Go to this link if you want to see more photos.
    http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa312/cryobug

Thanks, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I've seen that picture of your 40 (avatar) before. Very cool. I showed it to my son as he works for NASA and he was impressed as to how you got it inside the fence![/QUOTE]

8. Sorry to hear about the layoff. Hopefully something will come up for you. Will you be at the cruise night you mentioned?

9. 59 brook

59 brook

flacarshows.com