Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Show your 2X4 Y-blocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket's Hot Rod Garage, May 4, 2016.

1. We're working on a '55 with duel quads on an Edelbrock intake. I know there's lots of combos out there so lets see 'em. I'm real interested in linkage setups, air cleaners, aftermarket intakes, fuel line routing etc. Post away...

2. Ours in mock up IMG_1575.JPG

Very neat setup found on the HAMB
    duel quad E Y-block.jpg

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Here we go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oldmics DSCF0072.JPG DSCF0072.JPG DSCF0313.JPG DSCF0073.JPG DSCF0073.JPG

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OLDMICS helped me with my setup..

6. Rockets, not to alter from the purpose of this thread, but....
    Tell me about your bracketry for the PS pump, alt, A/C, etc.
    Thanks.

7. In my '57 Sunliner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dry Lakes Racer

Dry Lakes Racer
    from So Cal

Rocket's thats the best I can do. I hope it works

9. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Man, I love those Mercury valve covers, Oldmics!

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Mercs are for his 368". Those and the Linclon Continentals are my favoright. Some day I'll figure out some trick spacers to put them on a Ford.

11. Those pair of carbs are from the 1956 Ford race kit. Only 100 pairs made.

They are Holly teapots EDB 9510 C LIST 1268. As a sidenote that pair (and a very few others) were inverted stamped EBD from the factory.

The reversed stamping has been documented by T Bird expert Gil Baumgartner.

The Merc valve covers sitting on that 312 engine are for the Ford/Merc Y Block engines (not the bigger 368)

Those are a direct fit on the Y Block engines.Those came from a gentleman know as The Y Bloke (Lindsey) from down under.

He actually casts them.Contact him for a set. They are super cool !

Oldmics

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks OLDMICS, an assumption on my part on those VC's. Those 57 dual quad Merc engines were one of the best looking FOMOCO engines ever.

13. Good stuff. I especially like all the detailed pictures showing the different linkages & ways the fuel lines are routed.

14. It's brackets that we fabricated using a few stick components. I didn't like the aftermarket stuff out there. Powermaster made us one of there powergens just shorter then we mounted a small Sanden compressor low where the original Gen. would be. The power steering is just the original type bracketry that John Mummert sells.

15. Right on, fab it!
    Thanks Rockets

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rockets, tell me about that alternator. That's how I want to mount the a/c unit, but I didn't want an "alternator look" but a gen. A fellow in Australia sent me photos of his a/c unit on top . It was really small. Thanks

17. I just asked Power if they could do us one of there Ford Gens any smaller. They list a short one for a GM. They even machined off the backside to make more room. It ended up being just right. PM me if you want more info. I can send you more pictures & dimensions.

18. Any more 2X4 setups??? I'd like to see some after-market stuff.

19. @jimmy six Any pictures of the inside of your air cleaner? I'd like to see what the base and element look like. I like how the air cleaner comes down over the top of the WCFBs.

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The air cleaner is extremely rare used only in 1956 I believe the first year NASCAR mandated non oil air filtering devices. The Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth all had flat edges on the the top. Ford had the 1" or so double ripple ( not sure on the Merc) and all had the sunken dome. Each bottom was pretty flat depending on the carbs. I'll include a foto of the Fords for the Holley 4000's. Since I use WCFB's I found a 1961 Corvette bottom (found on eBay) would work pretty close since the carb flange diameters were different with a filter for a 60's GTO about an 1-1/2" thick putting the outer cover where I wanted it. The Ford air filter itself was about 3" because the carbs has so much over the flange.
    I was able to purchase the complete unit from one of the fellows who is on here a lot and is very knowledgable about this. Fotos are bottom, top and together. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

21. Thanks for info. That helps a ton. We're running 2X4 WCFB's and trying to work in the stock type E-code air cleaner..

22. stock duel 4 Y block.jpg Holly carb Y.jpg WCFB linkage.jpg

Few more to keep this thread ah goin'.

23. 55Brodie

55Brodie