Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Show Me Your License, Son

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrPhat40, Jun 8, 2020.

1. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

Loving my new look nerf-bars on my 40's rear.. But I would like to do something with the license plate. Thinking about moving it to the lower panel between the nerf-bars.
    Not exactly sure of how to mount it. Build a frame from conduit? Use a lighted mounting frame? Build a mount system from under the cross member the old bumper brackets mounted to and curve it under the lower pan them mount the license plate to that? Would like to keep the So-Cal frame I have.
    Please weigh in with any thoughts comments or words of wisdom.
    Thank you H.A.M.B er's.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure if this is what you’re asking, but I used nutserts in the lower body panel to mount mine on this Model A. The photo is a mock up.

F4ACAAE9-64D3-42E0-8F42-4A4D5D2B192F.jpeg

3. Made your picture nice and big so we can see it better.:D IMG_1873 (2).jpg

4. TSS3240

TSS3240
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver

Unless your state requires a lighted plate, the nutsert or wellnut (rubber insert type) gets my vote. In the valence panel.

6. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At this point I might throw in a little hint. Not all license plates are the modern standard of 6" x 12". Until that standardization in the mid -50's license plates varied greatly in size.

Why do you care? Well, if you go to a great deal of trouble to make a recessed license plate area in your trunk deck and you plan on using a year of manufacture license plate you should measure the plate before you build the recess.

7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I've used these VW licence plate brackets on a few cars. I put nutserts in the body to mount this bracket. Keeps the plate from scuffing or rattling on the body, easy to mount, and cheap. Are you shaving the trunk lid? 311813991A_450s.jpg

67L36Driver likes this.