Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Show boards!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin B Smith, Jan 12, 2019.

1. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-1-20_3-40-49.png
    Hello,
    My dad had two Buick Riviera sedans, a 1963-64 first edition and a 1968, what seemed like to us, the world's biggest sedan. We drove both and liked the 63/64 better than the 68. Both cars were outstanding freeway drivers for my dad. My wife and I drove to Laguna Beach in the brand new 1968 Riviera to look for some custom made rings. While enjoying the coastline cruise, (upon arrival in the small community), we had a hard time finding a parking spot, because the huge Buick Riveria took up so much room. But, still, it was a luxurious daytime cruise down the coast.
    upload_2019-1-20_3-53-1.png 1968 upload_2019-1-20_3-53-23.png 1963/64
    Those two big sedans make wonderful platforms for a custom car. They are stylish, look sleek, and have lots of space for the colorful paint/shiny stuff, despite being rather large. At car shows, a simple show board presented the custom Buick Riviera to the walking/admiring audience. Nothing to distract from the quality paint job or accessories. This second generation Buick Riviera custom car stood out all the way across the arena. It was the outstanding paint and style that drew the eyes.
    upload_2019-1-20_3-54-23.png
    Being a past user and aficionado of those big Buick Rivieras, currently, the color digital photo is my favorite screen saver for my laptop. Show board and all…
    upload_2019-1-20_3-56-26.png

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Sky Six likes this.
  2. dana barlow and mgtstumpy like this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-4-23_7-30-58.png
    Hello,

Out of all of my photos I have taken over the years,(not counting my grand daughter’s massive photos in the 13 year collection) of hot rods and customs, this one just hits the spot. At the time, I was taking photos of hot rods that had flames for a feature story. It never made publication as I was told that those T-buckets are a dime a dozen. Not counting the fact that the color paint and design was pretty outstanding. What do editor’s know, anyway?

It currently resides on my tablet, as a screen saver and living in all of its glory from the past. (a “switch-a-roo”, with the show car Riviera on my laptop, etc) I switched the colorful, t-bucket photo to the tablet and it shows the flame pattern a little better than the old laptop. (smaller more compact screen image) The alternating displays are when I am not using the computer. But, when it is on the 30" office monitor and the 17 inch laptop, it is still crystal clear as if I were standing in that huge auditorium years ago.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...en-saver-photos.1080832/page-14#post-12950374 screen savers

By chance, it also had a showboard that went along with it. It is off to the side, because the paint design was the main emphasis, not the show card. What draws people to stop and view the hot rod? Showboards? Nope, it is the hot rod, itself. But, more importantly, the bright, one of a kind, paint design and application.

Jnaki

The photo was taken with an old 1967 Ashai Pentax 35mm camera using Kodak Ektachrome slide film. (We once, at the peak of our photography, had a collection of 25 Kodak, 140 amount, slotted, Carousel slide holders for our Kodak projector.) Most slides have been given away to the owners and the others are in our digitized slide folders for safe keeping.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    dana barlow, 5window and Sky Six like this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

My main show card on a small folding stand has only five lines of info. Some don't even read those words, it's used in shows were there is a lot of car fans.
    I do see show signs that are filled with facts about a car,there will be very few stopping to read.
    But I do have a one page history sheet hand out,I give too those that ask a lot of fairly smart Qs, so show extra interest. I let them keep the sheet if they ask for it.;;
    Deja'Vu historySheet.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine, from this year's Roadster show
    upload_2019-4-24_10-51-8.png
    The light from the camera doesn't show it well but he "Maxwell house" lettering is engine turned aluminum.
    "Good to the last drip"

Attached Files:

6. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Here's what I ended up with... ecv.JPG

philly the greek and dana barlow like this.
  7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally got around to having McPeak make up a sign in time for the July 4th show at a local church. 20190627_132010.jpg 20190627_132057.jpg 20190627_132103.jpg

8. troybert

troybert
    from muncie in.

Here is a original display board that was hanging in a shop for almost 40 years, about 70 miles from the car that was rescued from a salvage yard and sat in a storage building for about the same time. The fun is in the history and tracking down the past and yes if I show the car i will set the display sign out P1010002.JPG

Moriarity likes this.
  9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Never had a "Show Board". Never will. Could care less about "showing any of my cars".

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  10. I never had one, I didn't have a car or truck nice enough to have one made, I am also too cheap, I bet a nice sign will hurt the wallet unless your talented enough to make your own. HRP

Gman0046 likes this.
  11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only go to 2 shows at most each year and
    sometimes none. Made a hand lettered one to basically acknowledge those friends and businesses who provided help with the truck. Recently I picked up a side job with my old department so I had some extra mad money. Decided to update the board and at the same time help support the sign painter did the original door lettering. Better than blowing the $$ at some over priced chain restaurant. IMO
    Besides, those who still do hand lettering are getting scarce. He said he really enjoyed doing something other than the standard polished glitzy show board. It's not fancy but it fits the truck.

12. Mumbles

Mumbles
    from PNW

Brought up an old thread to show off my Dad's old show board I recently came across.
    It was done by Bob McCoy in the 60's. Thought it was too cool not to share.
    20220414_154116.jpg

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've never had a show board, but I do appreciate them at shows. If the owner isn't hanging out by his car I like being able to read the board to see what the specs are for the car. I prefer talking to owners and asking them about their builds, but it seems like half the time they're also out looking, so at least I can get some info.