Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I trade? AAAARRGH!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by InstantT, Apr 15, 2013.

1. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Folks, I just got a 57 chevy 2dr post. Needs a drivetrain, which I have. Considering a sale for an all original 47 plymouth club coupe that's a driver. I have two little kids and a house I am restoring. I also have a 440 in the garage. Should I sell the 57 project for the mopar? or will i kick myself forever? I am a mopar guy all the way, except when it comes to 36 fords and tri-five chevys. Keep in mind the question is, turn a project I don't have tons of time for? And what would a 47 plymouth gasser look like? I can't sleep.

2. Well I'm up and it is 2 hours later than it is where you are. ;)

The Plymouth is going to be pricey to work on way more costly than the try-five chebby. Stock it is just a grocery getter and to stuff the 440 in it is not only going to be pricey but it is going to be time consuming.

Either one is a good ride so it is just a matter of what you are after I suppose.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I own and love my '48 Plymouth,but it has to be one of the harder earlier cars to hot rod in general. I wouldn't do it as a gasser either, personally 'cause it just wouldn't have been a car chosen to be a gasser back when. If I had a clean '57 Chevy, I don't think that even I would make that trade.

4. Here's an idea... and I am being dead serious...

Keep the '57... and put the 440 in it!

It would be different... and since you are a died in the wool Mopar guy, it would show off your allegiance, BIG TIME!

Bonus points if you run a push button 727...

Sam

5. And besides... the kids will fit nicely in the back of the '57 for years to come!

Sam

6. mlagusis

mlagusis

I would keep the Chevy. Less work to put a v8 in a car that came with one. And ditto on dropping the 440 in there. Use what you have!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. what would you do if you sold the `57 Chevy to get the`47 Plymouth and then a `36 Ford catches your eye? you have to decide on what you really want and focus on that , forsaking all other distractions

8. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Hard to give a honest answer without seeing the 57 or the plymouth....I mean if the 57 is a piece of shit, And the plymouth is nice....yeah I would trade. But if the 57 is nice......keep in mind those 47 plymouths normally Do not bring the kind of money a decent tri five does. Also if you are wanting a Gasser, Keep the 57, Cut out the wheel wells, raise it up in the front, And drop that 440 in it....LOL

9. i just sold my 48 plymouth club coupe and bought a 57 chevy 4 door.

the 48 had a late model v8 and automatic trans, power rack & pinion steering, power brakes. late model rear end, had a near perfect interior. but it needed work to make me happy.

i sold it and bought a 57 four door that is not necessarily my ideal car, what with the extra doors and all, but it doesn't need any work as a daily driver, is very presentable, and, well, its a 57 chevy.

the question is what is most important to you; dollar value? personal appeal? anticipated headaches?

i sold the plymouth because it didn't have a back seat, it needed the doors rebuilt for the window guts that were removed, it needed suspension work, it needed some re-kustomizing and it needed repainted.

i REALLY dug the plymouth. i'm a kustom guy, it had TONS of potential, but with a baby on the way, a business that burns me out, on top of a ton of other life stuff that leaves me no desire or energy to do a bunch of piddly work on a car that i cant afford to pay someone else to do, i chose the simpler path; a car that meets all of the basic requirements: it drives well, it looks decent, it has way better resale value than i paid for it, its insured for twice what i paid for it, its family friendly, my wife digs it, i don't lay awake at night thinking of all the crap i have to do to it and all i gotta do is get in it, hit the key, shift the gears and wipe the smile offa my face when i get home.

my point?
    you just gotta do whats best for your current situation. it really sounds like you're in my reverse situation.

if you JUST want a driver, and don't wanna do any work to it and have NO intentions of hot rodding it and going thru all the headache of putting a late model drivetrain in a 40's plymouth, then buy a driver plymouth

if you wanna car that will serve the same purpose, and beat the resale value all to hell, and cause you far less agony relatively speaking,then drop a drive train in the 57 and go nuts!

10. 'Mo

'Mo

Not that I can advise, but here's a thought.
    A driver is something the whole family can enjoy. I like old motors, and I think coupes are cool. IF you can live with the 6, you can cruise while you improve. Something like this with a "hot" six (;)) might be nice.

[​IMG]

11. my suggestion is to sell the '57. To someone local, really, really, really cheap....did i mention i too am in Socal?......:)

12. BobMcD

BobMcD

Keep that 57. With a 283 or 327, would be a nice driver.

13. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

The '47 is an unattratctive vehicle unless radically modified as pictured in other posts. Stick with the tri 5, if nothing else, focus and make it driver. Skip all the drudge work we all ( or many of us ) get stuck on.
    I like motors and welding, I do not particularly like bondo, paint, dents....spending money... ;)

My .02

14. belair

belair

Keep the 57. No slam on the Plymouth, but the Chevy will do anything the Plymouth can do and more, and do it better. Plus, if you ever want to sell it, you will be in a seller's market. Also, tons of after-market support for parts.

15. You say your a Mopar guy all the way would you be happy with the 57 Chevy?

I'll go against the grain,,trade! HRP

16. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j367/IIFUNNY/tapatalk_1366031604961_zps4152d8c4.jpg[/IMG
    [IMG]http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j367/IIFUNNY/tapatalk_1366031594297_zpse8d289dc.jpg
    [​IMG]

"MELTDOWN DRAGS"
    July 20, 21 2013 at Byron Dragway Byron Ill.
    www.meltdowndrags.com

17. jesse1980

jesse1980

How clean is the 57

18. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Yet your user name is InstantT. :confused:

19. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

keep and build the 57. sell all the rest for a 57 building fund

20. as a gasser I do not see any potential for the 47 plymouth at all=Ugly!!
    AS a Chevy guy I would keep the 5=7.[I currently own a bel air HT]
    AS a HotRodder the Plymouth can be executed into a sweet hot rod or even a Custom so its a tough decision for you.....
    Here is a 47 Plymouth I built in 1985,they can be beautified....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  21. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

You'll be pulling out your hair trying to find parts and hitting up the swap meets. Parts for the '57 Chevy is a phone call away. Even trying to get parts for a '65 Biscayne was a pain because some parts were one year only. Even the wipers didn't match the '66 or '64. I would never do that again. That being said, I love the Plymouth but I already have 2 running cars..........

22. I'm gonna join in with the small chorus of folks that say keep the 57, toss in the 440. As odd as it sounds, it HAS been done before, though not often, and it'd be a hell of a lot easier than putting the 440 in the Plymouth.
    Someone else discussed this swap on here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769206

And here's an ol' gasser that was uncovered right near my place. Pissed I missed this one!

http://bangshift.com/blog/gasser-ba...-air-dgas-426-max-wedge-mopar-power-epic.html

DO IT!!!

23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

24. No, if you are restoring a house and have two little kids, time and money will be at a premium. That big back seat in the Chevy will fit two wee ones perfectly when taking the family out to a car show. Hell, you might even find that you like a Chevy !

25. im am inclinded to say trade. i love 55's but 57's just dont do it for me. all that being said if you keep the 57 i would put the 440 in there, because that would be different and cool.

26. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

If you want to build a gasser out of either one, consider this....you can't haul your kids around in it....gassers don't have back seats...lol

27. n847

n847

I've got a 47 and I love it. I personally think they are very underated but I would think about the money P-15s are cheap and available. You would wind up spending alot of money to really enjoy it tho. I would think you would need some money along with that trade. Again some pictures of both would help. But if you do get the Plymouth keep us posted there are a few guys on here who have a wealth of knowledge!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

28. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I have nothing against the Plymouth, but you can't deny the market appeal and parts availability of the '57 post.

29. Cerberus

Cerberus

Have you ever heard the phrase, "The one I let get away?" That's what you would be doing. Keep the '57 Chevy. It actually had the boldest lines of the Tri-Fives.