Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I sell my Hog to finance the hot rod??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stllrng., Aug 7, 2008.

1. After a long wait, I have started on my 1932 Ford hot rod. The issue here is, should I sell my Hog to help defray the costs of building a rod? The bike in question is a very nice 1977 FLH, with a Delkron evo engine and a 5-speed kick trans. I like the bike alot, but I am very dertermined to get the HR put together, and as you know it costs lots of money to do it right, even when you do the work yourself.

Once the bike is gone, I know I won't ever get another, but I think I will get more use from a hot rod. What do you think?? I know it is my choice, but I would appreciate some opinions, maybe from some who has been there!
    Thanks

2. Hey Newbie,
    I too, am considering the same option, My delima is, I've got about 30K in my bike, 2002 Dyna Wide Glide, 27K miles on it, the problem is of course,
    I'll never get what I want for it. Not going to let it go for what some are offering for it, I'd rather just keep it, but it will only depriciate even more over the next year. What's a guy to do?.:eek:

3. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I did it. Sold my '80 Goldwing full dresser to buy my Dubble A project (link in my signature). Love the truck much more than the wing.

4. Retrorod

Retrorod

I felt the same way about my boat, it was my pride & joy, I loved being out on the water. With the changes through the years, all my favorite places either suffering from crowded ramps and waterways or low water levels......I decided to get rid of it and concentrate the money and my time on the hot rod. I really miss that boat sometimes but you can't really look back, I'm glad I did it, it turned out to be the "right" thing to do. I'm enjoying my hot rod now probably more than I did boating.

5. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

since you already slaughtered taht bike with an evo engine, might i suggest you sell the hot rod project before you do something silly like that to it to?

evos dont count... what happend to the shov?

if u sell, please build the rod traditional...

6. Choptop

Choptop

Sell the bike. They are easy to come by.

Use the cash to build the rod. Dont look back.

if you want another bike, get something cheap and easy to build, a Trumpet chop/bob, or get a vintage Harley. Something unique with a great riding experience. Not yer average Harley.

7. Well, the evo was in it when I bought the bike, the bike is still very traditional none the less and very rideable and enjoyable. Does it help that when I took out the four speed and put in a five speed, I got a kick start? Does that help make up for having an Evo?? LOL

As for the rod, I am torn right now between a 1951 8BA and a 292 Y-block. And I have drum brakes on the front. Will that help me be traditional enough??

Thanks for the input.

P.S. I am planning to keep the boat, dirt bike, and quads.

8. been there , done that and still got s few T-shirts left , go ahead and sell the scoot being you already ripped out its soul , build your hotrod and make yourself happy for the moment , you can always build another scoot as evo motors are easy to find , you may even be able to find another shovel as the euro dudes have not bought them all up yet..

9. Haunyawk

Haunyawk

I agree, I would'nt through an evo motor in shovelhead frame. Do what you like though.

10. blackout

blackout

Definately sell that to get a rod. If you want a bike later, get a traditional bike.

11. this is a question only you can answer...ask yourself , what is the bike worth? would it bring in enough money to finish it? do you REALLY have to sell it to build the hot rod , or can you have both?

12. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

I offed my bike to finance my build, then decided to not spend the money on the hot rods. Having a little financial stash is a pretty good feeling, and I still pay as I go with fewer distractions.

Why can't I have it all, right now?

13. Lil' Toot

Lil' Toot
    from Tulsa, OK

simple answer: yes

14. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

I had the same problem, Had a titan/harley with a 107 motor, yeah it was a nice scoot but sold it to finish my 32, Yes I miss it every now and then, but you dont have to worry about falling off you hotrod, sell it and dont look back.

15. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

16. Gruizer54

Gruizer54

sounds like you already answered your own question. i've sold things that i wanted to keep to finance a build...just be carefull, you'll tend to blow through the wad of cash quicker if you get it all at once.

On a simalar note, should i part my hair to the left or the right?

17. Well,without knowing wether or not the 32 is steel or not. If it's steel,it's a "no-brainer"! Even if it isn't steel,32's are not easy to come by. I'd sell the bike and not look back...Bikes are so easy to find if you feel the need to get another one.

18. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Been there and done it. I had a 76 FXE shovelhead for over 20 years. Loved that damned bike , had it set up digger stlye. Sent it down the road in 2000 to get back into cars and ended up trading for my 55 chev. Best thing I could have done. I've had more fun and gone more places and met great people including many here on the HAMB since then and even though I know I won't be able to have another Harley I'm stuck on hotrods for the duration.

19. Yes the '32 is steel, it's a pickup. I know the money goes fast once you start spending it. I really am torn about this. I didn't expect to get beat up so bad over the evo good thing I am a big boy and can take it! lol

I am sure that no one that is flaming me has a 350/350 in their traditional rod!

Thanks for the input guys, I do appreciate your opinions. Evo haters included

20. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Thats the first thing I thought of too. Its almost as bas as being gay.

21. pitman

pitman

There's a wide variety of "traditional" thinking on the HAMB. As to engine selection, you will want to enjoy the building, the detailing and the Driving of whatever you choose.
    How many miles are you planning to run? What kind of performance and mileage do you need?
    I'm building a Cosworth influenced Focus 2 liter four banger for my final build. I'm sure either early Ford mill will work out right for your Deuce.

22. luvzccr

luvzccr

gotta give up one thing you love to help out another.

my dad sold his 58 ford fairlane for my sisters first car, a 66 ford mustang. which he sold to get his 63 ranchero, which he gave to me, which i plan on selling once i get it running to help me fix up my 58, OR, get a hot rod i hope :)

23. Are you more of a biker or a hot rodder? Which makes you happier? Are your best friends bikers or hot rodders? Do you attend bike events or hot rod events? Maybe your both, but only you can answer the question. Another important question – does your significant other enjoy riding?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  24. Lucky77

Lucky77

Not a bike, but I sold my racecar to finance building my sedan. The car was a partialy responsable for and completely theraputic during my divorce. I hated to sell it but everytime I hit the key on my hot rod I don't regret the decision one single bit. But I did pick up a bike too so I'm probably not much help:D

25. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

26. 38plymouth

38plymouth

27. The best reply of all. Good points, no B.S.
    Thank you

28. I say no - you'll need something to get out on when the rod project pisses you off to no end. Take your time and enjoy the build. You'll make more money.

29. I had a 47 knuckle I sold to finish a car in 1973 I now own the same bike and I redoing it as I'm waiting on parts for an altered I'm building.Yes I regretted selling it sometimes but it passed.

30. To be honest,,,I sold my 50 and 56 panheads to build my first hot rod and from experence I can tell you none of the hot rods I have built busted me up like those two Harleys,,,I never look back. HRP