Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I seal the inside of a new gas tank?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Glen, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Glen

Glen

I have a new steel gas tank, never had gas in it. Should I put a sealer in it first? I remember seeing some POR product for that.
    Here is what Im sealing.

[​IMG]

2. marq

marq

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no do you think you got the answer if not then never never never never never contemplate this move because it fucks your carbs well and true ..........Mad Marq

3. marq

marq

p.s i gotta say this knowing a bit (a lot) about bikes,how the fuck is that thing ever gonna get around a corner?.............Mad Marq.......p.s thats the point of owning a motorcycle .........corners

4. Fastsporty

Fastsporty

I like my bikes to go straight a quarter mile at a time! [​IMG] As far as sealing up your tank, was your tank pressure tested yet? That is a must. There are pros and cons to sealing your tank. Gasoline is not a rust preventative so a unsealed tank will rust from the inside. A sealed tank sometimes is a bandaid for poor welding and a poorly cured sealer will mess with your carbs but then again so will rust. Having the choice I would seal my tank if I knew it was going to be done right.
    So who are you going to believe? A Brit who is 'oppressed' us as a nation? and builds Triumphs?
    Or
    A flag waving American that Builds custom Harleys?

5. johnnygringo

johnnygringo
    from Nashville

yes you should pressure test it and seal it...my 2 the best is one stop shop at yer local radiator store....that red stuff is forever

and bikes are for corners or cool or whatever it is you want man...i dig it

6. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Where did you get the tank? What's it made out of? I like it.

7. I have built a few bikes, and I still seal all custom or repop tanks.....it's just a hold over from the old days. It can only do good, you don't wanna see fuel dripping on the head AFTER the tank is painted. I use stuff called Kreem..three parts, works great. Actually, mounting the tank is more important than sealing it, no stress on mounting tabs, rubber between tab and frame...this all helps.
    by the way, that bike looks killer!
    CT.

8. Glen

Glen

Deuce...the tank is from Paul Yaffe.

I wasnt worried as much about leaks, more worried about rust. Thanks for the comments, I know some guys at the radiator shop, I think I will take it there monday for the test and seal.

9. almost guarantee paul yaffee or not it will seep or leak. I use ACE BRAND Marine Spar Varnish in all my tanks....it stands gas [and gasahol] with no probs[years of "tests" here]. takes 2 days dry time before use and costs 7 dollars a quart.....by the way- read the ingredients of the available tank sealer.......[same thing as in spar varnish] less the red dye. {it prob would not work} in an alcohol powered drag car.... [​IMG]he he

10. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

test and seal aa good idear

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I wouldn't seal it. Look how long it took to rust out gast tanks from the 30's -40's.

If you wanna check it for leaks, use Isopropyl alcohol and slosh it around. drain it and it will evaporate and leaves no residue.

12. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Marq,
    There aren't that many corners in the US of A. That why yanks can't ride worth a shit [​IMG] [​IMG]

Remember Mr Harley and Mr Davidson? One was born in England, one was the direct offspring of Scottish parents. [​IMG]

13. I wouldn't seal a brand new gas tank. Rustproblems occure mostly when the car or bike is stored a long time and the tank is empty or half full or something like that. Just make shure to fill your tank to the top if you plan to put the bike to sleep for a while. On old engines I run a little upper lubrication like Marvel or Speedoil once in a while. That helps the gas tank too.

14. Glen

Glen

Just an update on the question, Im dropping the tank off tomorrow at a local plater to have it nickel plated, it seems that is the way to go.

15. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I'd really like to see it nickle plated.

Those Yaffe tanks aren't cheap!

16. [ QUOTE ]
    p.s i gotta say this knowing a bit (a lot) about bikes,how the fuck is that thing ever gonna get around a corner?.............Mad Marq.......p.s thats the point of owning a motorcycle .........corners

[/ QUOTE ]

Great the motorcycle nazi is back...