Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Should I build a Model A Sedan!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jasper6120, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hey everyone

I've been really wanting to build Model A Sedan for a long time. I thought I'd get over the notion of embarking on something like this and that my better judgment would prevail. Well that didn't happen!

I live in NSW Australia. I built a RHD, two door, chopped '53 Chevy that I may sell to fund the build of my desired hot rod - hoping that it gets me enough money to get the hot rod project at least most of the way completed. I have read a lot of tech on building a car such as this, but really don't have much of an idea of cost and other curve balls that might come my way. I can do most of the construction myself. I live in NSW Australia, and from experience, building cars in NSW can be quite an expensive venture due to engineering costs and certain safety requirements - not that I'm complaining - safety is nice!

I guess this is a call out for advice on how I should do this build without:
    a) blowing budget
    b) getting snagged on engineering problems and,
    c) taking forever to complete

Here's by concept of the vehicle:
    Body: 30/31 Model A Sedan Body - unchannelled, 4 inch chop, 30/31 grille
    Fuel Tank: stock 11 gallon cowl tank (Can you use them in NSW?)
    Chassis: 32 Ford Chassis - Original or repro (repro could have complications in NSW?)
    Engine: SBC - (I know... unimaginative but I need low $ and reliability)
    Gearbox: Something manual with overdrive for highway use

I guess that's the broad strokes of it all. Am I crazy? I would love some opinions/advice on what I have planned.

Cheers!!

J

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  2. That's all straight forward.

Where do you live in NSW?

3. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

A mild sbc and a T-5 will certainly be cheaper than a lot of other combinations. As far as should you build the car-Of course you should! (I am the wrong guy to ask that question of!).I would not personally care for the cowl mount tank.Guaranteed the car will take longer and cost more than you think. I would recommend you be patient and buy the best body\frame you can find .I never seem to do that and it invariably ends up costing me more than if I had.good luck.

4. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I say go for it, of course I might be a little biased...

5. verde742

verde742

NAAAAHHH, don't buy one,
    leave it for the next guy......:rolleyes:.

6. Something about riding around with 10 or more gallons of gas just inches away from your face scares the hell outta me.

No gas tank is really safe but Henry did move it to the rear for nothing. HRP

7. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

The tank situation is an interesting one. I don't want to take up room in the car with a different tank and from my understanding the rear mounted "32 tank isn't all that different in terms of safety. What about under the floor somehow?

8. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hi X38, I'm in the Mountains west of Sydney

9. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

put it in the trunk. or under the back seat preferably under the floor.
    I've drove my model T with the stock cowl gas tank. The major danger is if you are involved in a front collision the impact can rupture the tank dousing you & your passenger in gasoline. Or worse the motor can be pushed back into the firewall dislodgeing the whole gas tank on top of your lap while you are trapped inside. Niether option may end well.
    Aside from that I'd love to watch the build thread!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Anything with petrol in it is dangerous, tank location you really only have two to pick from. Speak with an engineer before you start to avoid wasting time and money. maybe look for a restored A to start with?

11. Yes Build It! Everyone needs a Model A or two. I have a 29 coupe, and 30 sedan, both are Hi boys on 32 rails. I have the gas tanks behind the seats { rear seat in the sedan}. The sedan has a 354 Hemi. The coupe a 389 Pontiac. I don't know your budget but the SBC will save You $$, and are very dependable. Both of mind, have six inch chops. With the sedan you can set your front seat further back. And If you look up {FUN} in the dictionary , there's a picture of a model A. lol I hope you do a build thread. Good luck on your HOT ROD A. Ron...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

If there was a good and safe means of putting the tank under the floor under the back seat I'd be happy with that. I'd definitely do a build thread. I was inspired by Josh77's build thread where he rescued a decidedly un Hamb friendly Model A project that was sitting on a VW chassis. I have visions of salvaging one of those Rat Rod sedans, though I can't imagine how much work un-channeling a car would be. There always seems to be half baked projects coming up on ebay, albeit over in the U.S.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

go forward with this project. place ad in classifieds here for '53. as stated, find the best body, etc that you can afford. also, as stated having some extra leg room is a good thing. fenderless or with? if you run fenders/running boards there are some fuel tank set ups that mount under running boards. with '32 style rear fuel tank you can place some protective bars in front of it. try to have fun.

14. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

I'm digging the positive vibes here! Yes, I'm 6"2 so leg room is good. I'll go sans fenders. In NSW you have to have some kind of wheel cover so I'll need to put on some discreet cycle fenders. In my head I'm thinking that an aftermarket 32 Chassis is the way to go, but is there some restriction on that? My worry is that with a new chassis the car might be recognized as an 'individually constructed vehicle' and needs to meet more stringent standards of engineering. Is that true?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  15. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I dont think you should tell them-----

16. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

in Oz its not unknown for a camera to be put down into a boxed chassis to confirm its repo, this was when repo wasn't allowed for full road use, mine is by Kiwi Konnections and I've been given the green light for full rego under the newish rules, BUT you need to speak to an engineer in your state (or inspector dude whatever roads and maritime call them this month)

17. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Thanks Torana68. There's an engineer inspector man dude called Terry Toomey that I spoke to on the phone. He advised I put together a 'wish list' and bring it to him for consultation. It's $220 for the consultation. Seems fair and probably weeds out the day dreamers from bugging him. I hope I can go repro chassis for the practicality of it. I like that you can get them pre pinched to suit the cowl

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

include in your list your chosen wheel size or approximates, your front/rear axles, brakes (EB isb Falcon rears are popular and cheap) Rod Tech front brakes hopefully on an I beam? what seats your going to use, body mods...... and who's chassis , try and be specific with makers parts so he can say yes and you can go find the bits...anything you choose to do that's not generally done will cause hold ups and extra costs in evaluating whatever it is. You can get odd things past if you want to pay for a proper Engineer to come up with an approval of the whatever it is. Dont buy stuff cause your mate at the pub said it would be ok or he used XXXX on his car , get it accepted by the man who will sign your roadworthy :)

19. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

I have a bit of thinking to do there. I don't have an answer for what seats to use. The rod tech brakes sound the ticket. I certainly wouldn't be reinventing the wheel on this one. Nothing that hasn't been done many times before, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

20. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

when you go in with the list have it printed in dot form , one for him one for you , make any comments in ink so you can refer back, get the most out of your 200 Doubloon's

21. midroad

midroad

First thing to do is join or talk to your local Hot Rod club. They will know the engineers in your area. Repro chassis is not impossible in NSW so have a discussion with your chosen engineer. Don't pay $220 for a consultation. The car you are thinking of is a pretty straightforward build. Don't use the original gas tank. There are a number of other options.
    Not all engineers in NSW understand Hot Rods. I have found some that think you are building an ICV ( Individually constructed vehicle). What you are proposing is basically accepted practice not an ICV.

22. You absolutely must, with no hesitation, resisting any temptation, embracing all your notions, embark on this deviation and positively procure a Model A Sedan to create your Hot Rod.

You're getting a lot of great specific initial advice from other Aussies about how to start the project right.

As soon as it's possible, and I find some creative way to generate the $$$ without forcing my wife and kids to live on a diet of cat food and white bread, I will be joining you in this exact endeavor.

(I've decided on a 4 door myself, something exactly like this that I saw at a show this summer in my neck of the woods. If you zoom in you can see they bypassed the cowl tank, they are using a rear seat, Which I want to do, I believe the tank is under the seat or under the chassis, I didn't get pics from the back. They are running a heater too, which is necessary here) IMG_1479643603.344286.jpg IMG_1479643626.855667.jpg

23. Stupid question; I just reread some of your posts, you worked really hard on you Chevy, is there any way to swing it and keep both? Two old cars is better than one. Also noticed you had the double bass thread, that was a good thread.

24. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Thanks for that advice, Midroad. I'll get in touch with some local club guys. Engineers can be an unusual breed and getting a good one makes all the difference I have no doubt.

Clunker, that's cool man. There's a lot of sense in going with a four door. I dig that fireball!

25. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Yeah, I put a heck ton of work into the chev. It was definitely a case of throwing myself in the deep end. To be honest, while I love the chevy a whole lot I don't think I can swing holding onto it. I've had it a long time and my tastes have shifted. I really don't mind passing it on if it makes my dream of a hot rod model A a reality.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    clunker likes this.
  26. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Jasper6120 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. 2935ford

2935ford

Build it!

I have the Tanks 18 gal saddle tank setup on my roadster. Kept my aprons and then painted the fill cover caps black.
    Hardly noticeable that way.
    The only issue is filling one side then the other but it's really no big deal.
    No tank up front or taking up my rumble seat area in the back.
    I mounted the battery under the frame.
    Works for me!

Jasper6120 likes this.
  28. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

I see how you did it in your profile pic. That looks like a clever way around it for the stock chassis.

29. I say build it, I love mine. It's on an A chassis (Boling Bros.) and has the tank in the cowl. I don't get some of the rules down there but it seems possible to build anything if you go by the book.
    4" chop with a Y-Block
    15110922_10211409535541101_2361435800676089913_o.jpg

Jasper6120, Tim_with_a_T and clunker like this.
  30. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Nice one Mctim64. I've watched clips of your car many times over on YouTube. Your car and Josh77's VW chassis rescue are big inspiration to me

mctim64 likes this.