Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shotbag and stand tech-ish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tikidiablo, Apr 15, 2007.

1. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

So I threw this together yesterday. I don't really know how to use it yet, but figure if I have it, I'll get it down sooner or later.

1. I bought some remnants from the the steel supply.

a. one piece of 2" square tubing about 35" long (I'm 5'10" so this is a comfortable height for me)
    b. 2 pieces of 1/4" plate squares. 12" and 15" pieces

c. some 3/16" round solid stock

2. I welded the square plates to the ends of the 2" tubing. Make sure and use a square so everything is level / square and ship shape.

3. Bend up some round solid rod into an 11" square. I slipped this onto the stand and welded up the joint. I bent up two 7" L-shaped pieces of rod and cut up four 4.5" pieces of straight rod to weld to the 2' square tubing.

4. Weld all the rod together and slip it up to the top of the stand. I used the ground clamp to hold it up out of the way to the top plate.

5. Weld the four 4 1/2" rods to the square tubing about 20" from the bottom of the stand . Make sure that the rods are centered and square to the 2" tubing. The height is set for these so that you can pull out your hammers without hitting the top plate.

6. Drop the grid that you had clamped up out of the way onto the pieces of rod you just welded to the 2" square tubing. Make sure it is all square and weld it up.

7. I had some thick leather that I cut up into two 15" squares with rounded off corners .I sewed up the leather with the suede side out using a double stitch. I left a 3" long opening un-sewn so I could fill the bag w/ dry coarse sand. Fill the bag about 80% and sew up the opening. You could buy some leather from a remnant store and take it to an upholstery shop already cut and ready for them. I f you do this take along the coarse sand and fill it up while there,then they can seal it up for you.

Yeah it is basic stuff and the real challenge here is the art of using the shaping bag, but if you dont have one to practice on then you are never going to teach yourself.

Attached Files:

2. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

That's cool, I know what my next "tool project" is gonna be...

Jack

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Over the years I have favored round bags. They seem to last longer.

4. Open question here: I thought that shotbags were filled with, well, steel shot. How does using sand compare and other than being cheaper than steel shot, are there any advantages? I'm not that versed in use of a shotbag.

Thanks.

5. Frank

Frank

Steel shot? I'm thinking BB's would work. They aren't too expensive.

6. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Yeah Bluto, I was going to sew up a round deal, but the plate I used to make the stand was square and I didn't want to make tood much noise cutting this sucker(kind of late). I see the reasoning behind why a round bag would last longer. Next time.

As far as sand/shot goes. I read it somewhere in a metal shaping column that sand was almost as good as shot. Just ALOT lighter and cheaper.

I went to the metal supply for the round rod to use for the finishing of my belly pan edges for my coupe. I usually pass by and check out the remnant pile incase there are some good pieces for cheap. That is when the idea struck me to make this stand /bag up.

Probably took me about an hour to make this total. I think staging the photos and writing up this tech was more time consuming. I took pics after because i figured if I could whip this thing up, anybody could.

This is why I love the HAMB, I always learn something on here and then go to the garage and apply what I've learned with little fear or apprehension in . My car and other stuff are a tangible example of that.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

No. 9 shot seems to work good in shot bags. You should be able to get it at any shooting supply store.
    My experience is the shot will let the metal move faster then sand will. anyone else experience this?

Frank

8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I've used sand and shot. The shot does last longer and it has a better feel. But sand works. I made bags years ago using intertube wire and sand. Each time I made a new bag with better stuff it seemed to work better. BUT maybe it was me getting better too.
    Anyway you make 'em they work.

9. rodknocker

rodknocker

I use #9 shot too, easily available at Gander Mountain or any hunting store.

10. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

If you use sand, use the coarsest sand you can get. Don't use the "play sand" they sell at the box stores for Junior's sandbox. It doesn't provide the right "base" for your hammer blows.

The two things I've heard about people preferring sand over shot is weight and control. Shot is heavier than sand, of course, and the guy I talked to doesn't do the majority of his forming on the bag. He's using it to tweak.

Tucker

11. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

Weight is a serious issue with shot. If you ever need to move a large shotbag filled with it, you will find this out. I use sand with a low silica content so that the small amount of dust that escapes will not hurt my lungs... I hope. The main thing is pack whatever you use into the bag tightly so it gives the support needed.

A thick, dense piece of rubber covered by leather would work as well.

Nice stand! You might consider radiusing the corners for safety.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

12. worn shoes

worn shoes

I'm going to make one, just to eat my lunch off of.:)