Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shortening, camber adjust, repair of Ford wishbones!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 117harv, Feb 21, 2011.

1. 117harv

117harv

HPIM4280 (Small).JPG HPIM4281 (Small).JPG HPIM4308 (Small).JPG HPIM4313 (Small).JPG HPIM4315 (Small).JPG HPIM4317 (Small).JPG Here is a 37 Ford wishbone that i'm splitting and shortening for a fellow HAMBer. The model A bones were too short and the later too long for his application. I removed what i could off of the small end but could only go so much until the threaded insert and the bone diameter were a mismatch. I took the rest off of the clevis end, 2 1/4" and rejoined them with a piece of bar stock insert.

Sometimes the clevis end is piecut and rewelded to get the desired caster, or new ends are put on to replace damaged ones. In this case the bones were shortened, here is how i did them.

Here are the straight, rust free freshly blasted bones. I split them and then cut off the ends in the chop saw. I dig out the factory slag and use the diegrinder to smooth up any imperfections.......more to come.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    29Roadie and mtwalsh23 like this.
  2. 117harv

117harv

HPIM4319 (Small).JPG HPIM4320 (Small).JPG HPIM4322 (Small).JPG HPIM4325 (Small).JPG HPIM4330 (Small).JPG HPIM4334 (Small).JPG After the ends are cleaned up i use an angle grinder and a flap disc to grind the bar stock to the oval shape. When i get it close i keep taking a little off until it fits tight. I tack weld and check for straightness, when all is true i fully weld..........stay tuned.

On a side note you can see the small round dent in the clevis, center pic bottom, the size of a beebe. You will see this on all forged factory Ford parts, pitman arms, wishbones spindles, axles etc. The factory shoots a hardened projectile at the part and if the dent meets factory specs the steel/part is deemed acceptable.

29Roadie likes this.
  3. rtomss

rtomss

Harv, nice work man! Those are going to be some super nice (and strong) bones.

4. 117harv

117harv

HPIM4336 (Small).JPG HPIM4343 (Small).JPG HPIM4364 (Small).JPG HPIM4365 (Small).JPG HPIM4366 (Small).JPG After welding the solid slug into the clevis i drill two holes on each side of the legs toward the end on both sides. I slide the ends back on, they have a nice tight fit, i tack them, check for square, and then fully weld. The end of the bone is beveled and all three are welded together. They are now stronger than the factory butt weld.

After they cool i grind the welds smooth with the 7" diameter flap disc, fill any low spots with weld, grind and repeat as needed. When they are good, i go over them with the coarse and then fine 7" scotch brite pads, the finish is a polished, yet hazy finish with fine scratches. They will be ready for paint at this point, but will need futher work for chrome.

This is a simple modification that could also be done with a wire welder, but i find the tig gives me more controll for filling very small pin holes. Although this was just done to shorten them, as stated earlier it could also be used to repair or change the caster......old parts rule!!!

29Roadie likes this.

5. rtomss

rtomss

Bam......I want a set. Oh wait, those are mine.... Awesome work Harv!!!

6. Very nice result.

With the head off machining the top knuckle in a mill would be much easier. Shaving the top and recutting the bevel exposes more perch bolt thread. With more thread exposed aftermarket shock mounts bolt on. You also lower the front by the amount of the shave.

7. thisbugger

thisbugger

Nice work. Looks great.

8. 117harv

117harv

Yes, that would be a good time to do that. Many have to do this or have custom bolts made if they do a spring over.

Last edited: May 25, 2012