Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shorten Your Driveshaft:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, Feb 18, 2010.

1. awesome tech article. I shortened my driveshaft today and it was a piece of cake! Thank you!!!

2. Rusty

Rusty

thanks for all your great tech posts

3. Great tech. It appears I wasted $110 over the summer.

4. burnout2614

burnout2614

In 1989 I did this very thing for my bracket car. While the car never ran faster than a 7.60 1/8 mile, I raced it from 89 to 07 with the same ujoints! peace

5. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Great deal, thanks missed phasing but not a big deal I have seen factory ones out of phase

6. thetundrawolf

thetundrawolf
    from USA

Hi guys, sorry for resurrecting an old, but good thread. I am looking for information on how to do something similar, to make a driveshaft for an RV that has had it's chassis lengthened.

I am thinking, depending on cost, that paying a machine shop to remove the yokes (One end is a slip yoke) will ensure their squareness. Then, all I have to do is buy the DOM tubing, and weld in place, properly phased. Because the yokes will have perfectly square seats on the already squared tubing.

What do you think?

I was quoted $250 to start, to have it lengthened. That's... a bit rich for me. Especially if I can do it myself.

7. What's an RV.
    Some type of old traditional rod?? or what??

8. Drive Em

Drive Em

Yes, you can do what you are describing, but I would still use the dial indicator on each end of the shaft to get the least amount of run out possible. Placing each flat end of the weld yokes on a flat surface like an I-beam or a piece of channel while tapping them into the tubing like I described above is also suggested to get the weld yokes in phase.

9. Thanks for a btt. I paid $200 for a new ds on the sedan, need on for the coupester and just found out the old machinist who use to make ds for a living has retired. Since I'm doing everything else myself, think I'll give this a try. Great timing!
    RB

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I also do my own driveshafts, and only use one scribed line. But I've found using a piece of angle iron as a straight edge keeps the line from wandering over the length, as it sits solid against the tube and makes a perfectly straight line. I always keep the yoke indexed this way, and have never had balance issues.
    The last driveline I shortened on my Austin gasser had weights on both ends, so I drilled out the spot welds and moved them back to where they'd be behind the cut prior to shortening, and welded them back on. This way I could get them perfectly lined up before the cut, and not have any chance of possibly getting them off a little.

11. thetundrawolf

thetundrawolf
    from USA

Ah. I was hoping by having a straight cut, "Everything would be automatically perfect" but I see that's not necessarily the case, now.

When you are cutting with your cutoff wheel, what signs do you see that tell you you are through the driveshaft? How do you know when you are cutting the right area?

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

You actually don't unless you are really good at checking which I'm not. If you have a stationary disk sander and a guide to hold the tube square to the disk you could square it up fairly easily.

Outside of cutoff wheel and tube cutter the OP did it the exact same way JD Fikes (Bondo John) of Waco showed me in the mid 50's when I helped him put a couple of cars together. I've done a number of them over the past 30 something years and only had one that turned out bad. I could never get it to quit vibrating and think it ended up being hauled off to the scrap yard. My son just did the one I put behind my Cad 500 in my 71 GMC but I haven't driven it yet to know how it comes out. He did it the same way the OP did with a cut disk but he cuts and welds tubing every day of the week at work.

13. dhchance

dhchance
    from tennessee

thanks drive em...i loved the detailed pics...i always thought special tools was needed for this....i will be using this method in the future

14. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

15. simple454

simple454
    from Yuma Az.

Done a bunch of drive shafts over the years similar to this on street cars, and race cars. I've even used shims to adapt a wrong sized end. Just make sure your tacks are right at the shims. Tack it, let it cool, and weld it up. One tip I learned is, even when using turning fixture, mig will distort the tubing much more than just rolling it on the bench and tig welding it. I never rebalanced one, and never (knock on wood) had a vibration problem.

16. COOP

COOP

Lots of good info here. I've shortened quite a few of my own driveshafts, and with no noticable vibration. However I had an old guy (younger than me) tell me that sometines he drills a small hole in the shaft and adds a small amount of auto trans oil then welds it up. I've never had to do this but he swears by it. Just throwin' this out there.

17. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

grate write up.that is the way I have always done my driveshafts,thanks again this my help others..

18. timelord

timelord

great tech thanks

19. gold03

gold03

I had a M- 37 Dodge that I modified. The stock rear differential was offset to match the front. We had some vibration.

To dynamically balance the shaft I drilled a small hole and poured in a couple cups of round steel shot that is used for giving dynamic balance to washing machines.

I carried spare U-joints for ten years and only replaced them once. No catastrophic failure, just wore out.

Attached Files:

20. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

Another good day on the HAMB.Found some more tricks to use.I have shorted driveshafts before and just took them to the driveshaft shop and had them balanced,but you guys added some great tips.Thanks for the tech.

21. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Someone mentioned using DOM tubing for drivelines.
    This is NOT recommended. The wall thickness is not uniform and the inside diameter
    is not made to standard yoke and slip joint diameters.
    Driveline tubing is made from flat rolled sheet, rolled into tubing and auto seam welded.
    It has constant uniform wall thickness and it is ROUND. (much closer runout tolerance than DOM) The diameters and gauge of the tubing is designed to match standard available yokes without machining the ID of the tube or the mating surface of the yoke.
    There is only one method of doing a driveline right and most shops that specialize in it do it this way. Done right a driveline will have no more than plus or minus .002 runout over it's whole length. Even at these tolerances, some will be out of balance due to irregularities in the forged yokes. These can usually be used on the street without balancing though.
    One more thing, welding washers on a tube to balance is NOT the way to do it. Every time you touch the tube with welding heat, it bends.

22. gold03

gold03

The other problem with DOM tubing is it moves your week link to the rest of your drive train. This is something you want to think about.

23. Great article!
    I need to try that.

24. I watched Tom Beatty shorten driveshafts using the same method, so it's traditional also.

25. I've done them like this for 40 years,somebody was always tellin' me I couldn't do that !! Never had a problem with any of them, and I raced an A coupe a few times with a homemade shaft.

26. thanks for sharing

27. ford495051

ford495051

Every since the drive shaft shop screwed one of mine up and charged me again to build a second one, I've done my own.

28. Thanks for the article. I had done shorter shafts on my lathe, but we have to shorten the driveshaft on my son's International because we are installing a B&M 700R4. Because of the tips in this posting, I have decided that, following the techniques provided, it is quite reasonable to expect a perfect job.
    As for putting foam or grease in the driveshaft, the theory is the same as is used for the viscus harmonic balancers. During rotation, the fluid will be tossed to the heavy side of the shaft to balance out the vibration. So the theory is reasonable, but because the foam might set in the shaft, the vehicle would need to be taken out for a long drive for the material inside the shat that is going to set, will do so in the proper place and not aggravate the balance problem.

29. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Cut off an old 54 Ford drive shaft in a junkyard and it had a cardboard tube inside.

Ago

30. ^^^^Sound dampener. Very common^^^^^