Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shopping for car insurance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Apr 3, 2010.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

No where in my contract does it say I can not drive it to work, or anywhere else for that matter (except the track). It says it is not to be used as a daily driver, which Big Olds is not. Just because someone on here said so and so said this or so and so said that, does not mean it's true. Even if you called Grundy themselves and talked to a couple of different people about the subject I'm sure you'll get a couple of different answers. It's all in how you word the question. PM or email Becky and get the contract sent to you.

2. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Denise,

Originally Posted by beckyatgrundy
    Unfortunately, as I mentioned, we don't cover daily drivers. We define "daily drivers" as cars you use to drive to work or run errands-- like taking the kids to school and karate. Sorry we couldn't help you with your insurance needs,....

The above it a post right from beckyatGrundy.
    I have an insured daily driver, I use mine rarely, but according to the above post, and this is in line with what i was told over the phone, using your Hot Rod for work driving or errands is considered "daily driving" and is not covered.

This was a repsonse to my question about occasional driving my car to work, my kids to school and Karate and the auto parts store.

Be careful.

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yes, that is correct, they do not cover cars that are used as daily drivers....BUT as quoted from Becky on 8/7/09 and like I said earlier, it's all in how you ask the question.

4. mj40's

mj40's

Hint: jump your coverage from 15k to 25k and your policy will be cheaper. That seems to be their norm and will make a difference in what you pay. Go on line and make a comparison check at these values.

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thanks Denise, I thought Becky had told me something similar in the past as well about pleasure driving not just to and from events Mike

6. I called them today and talked to one of their reps. I did get off the phine with questions answered to my satisfaction. I was told I could drive to work "on ocassion" for example if I was going straight to from work to a cruise night. I can take the wife out for Ice cream or stop for milk and bread on the way hope. But... Don't go to the local mega shopping mall and think you will be covered. Todd

7. I know I have a different agent for State Farm, their office is close enough to me I could walk there if I had to, I've gone and picked up insurance cards in person before.

I told them it was worth like $2500 and got no argument from them. Which is more or less a replacement cost for something if anything in a little better shape. I sure didn't pay that for it.

Most of the other companies are reasonable, but they don't want to deal with you if you're not a gold-chainer with a finished car and a fancy garage to put it in. Mine's garaged, but only because it worked out to keep it that way.

8. hhatton

hhatton

just got a policy from hagarty today, agreed value 15k , comes with unlimited mil. need a secure garage , and this is something new must have a daily driver , but it can't be OLDER then 5 years!!!! Never heard of that , but my daily is 2005 so im good.Cost was 295.00 and got it from a local agent, came to the house and took the pics etc.

9. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

They can mandate that your daily can't be older than 5 years??? That would be enough for me to tell Hagerty to shove it.

What are you gonna do next year, buy a new daily???

And regarding the "depends on who you talk to" on coverage for driving to work... I hope you talk to the same person when the car gets stolen out of the work parking lot... Sounds a little dangerous to me. I would want to be very upfront with everything in case of a claim.

When is it a concern for Grundy when you drive it to work?? When there is a claim, or when there is not a claim?

I realize you can sort of skirt the issue by just driving it occasionally to work, and not asking specific questions, but what if the unthinkable DOES happen??

PS: I have heard NOTHING but good things about Grundy and no several people that have had Grundy with zero issues, including driving "occasionally" to work... Just curious. I guess it is better to just not ask the questions and assume the best, eh...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  10. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Just set up my 25k agreed value with grundy as I was informed per some old threads on here. Its was easy and right around 200$ a year and Im fully covered everywhere but on the track. Hotels, resteraunts, movies all of that. They did however state that It cant be your daily or a backup to use when your daily breaks. I was told that you can most definately drive it anywhere anytime you want. Its just not to be used as a daily or daily backup, pretty simple!

11. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Bingo, that was enough to scare me to make sure I had the right coverage, don't want to worry about how questions were asked and who they were asked to...

12. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Hate to say this but the best insurance I know of, even for classics is the insurance given to soldiers and their families. My grandfather faught in Veitnam as a helicopter piolet and got the army's insurance. Well it is the best out there but you have to have been related to someone who was a soldier, and once you are off of it, there is no going back unless you or someone you are related to joins the armed forces.

13. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Nobodys mentioned Sneed Robinson, and thats a good thing.Mileage restriction, poor claim service, lousy policy form.Beware.Their website can be misleading also.

14. bentwings

bentwings

If you are retired how can you be driving to work?? haha Any driving is now cruising to vist another hotrodder or go to an event. Working DW does all the errands and shopping. haha

My 1 ton dually is my daily driver and will be untill they take my keys.

The hot rod is my fun car.

Grundy is good. :cool:

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

You paid $100.... isn't that counter intuitive?

16. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

So if something does happen in your work parking lot, how do you prove that today was the "occasional" day to work????

17. yblock292

yblock292

Hagerty is the only way to go, especially multi- car coverage plus they are super people to deal with.

18. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

American National's Chrome program is excellent. Agreed value, common cause of loss deductible. Plus they insure my house, truck, boat, motorcycle, the whole package.

19. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

Another one for State Farm here. I told them what I wanted to insure my truck for and sent them a couple of pictures, then they sent me back a quote. The only real stipulations I have on my policy is that it is kept in a locked garage and that it can't be my main means of transportation. Before I had it insured through Progressive as a stated value, but State Farms policy is about 1/3 the cost.

20. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Grundy. Great customer service. No beating around the bush when you have an issue. Wish more businesses were like them.

21. What insurance is this you speak of? If you mean USAA, that is an independent company that caters to the military that is run by retired military members, but there is no such thing as auto insurance provided by the armed forces. There is the $400K life insurance that the government provides to active duty people, but that is it.

Oh, and BTW, USAA SUCKS in a big way when it comes to insurance on older vehicles. Ask me how I know.

22. carnutbill67

carnutbill67

If any of you guys and gals are interested in "On Track" coverage for your ride, I can help. Central Ohio Insurance Services located in Pickerington Ohio is now offering this kind of coverage. That's right, coverage while you are racing! We also offer off track coverage for transport and storage. We can cover your trailer and everything in it too. We race 10.5 in the NMCA so we know a thing or two about how these cars are put together. Check us out at www.lutzracing.com or on facebook. For a quote, shoot an e-mail to [email protected] or [email protected] We will be in Bowling Green for the NMCA race at the end of April also. Thanks. Bill

23. fraso

fraso

ACCCC also recommends that antique and classic car owners to get agreed value insurance. It is also important to use an insurance company that specializes in these types of vehicles. It is a headache trying to get insurance for older cars from auto insurance companies that mainly deal with newer cars.

ACCCC - Insurance Article

ACCCC - Insurance FAQ

24. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

We have triple A on the 48 Chevy as our third/fourth car on the policy and it is covered everywhere we go. Daily driving and car shows=covered! Under $200 a year.

25. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

The quote for my car was twice as much from Hagerty than Grundy. And I agree USAA is a hard company to work with.

26. My driver is 15 years old, and my wife's is five. Hagerty only stated to me that my older cars that they insured could not be daily drivers. Nothing at all about requiring a DD to be five years or less.

Your last sentence is penny-wise and pound-foolish. Ask ALL of the questions and question ANY part of a policy you do not understand or are just unsure of. THIS is how you stay out of trouble, not "Well, if I don't ask, they'll never know, and I'll be OK".

27. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Most of you swayed away from the thread title. I have Condon & Skelly and have had for 13 years.They are just an agent as the actual insurance co. is Met. Property & Casualty Co. Checked with Grundy one time and they were quite abit higher. I guess I may want to check pricing and coverage again.I do have a driving max of 2500mi/yr. Which in my case does not matter, although I was told if I wanted to travel to a faraway car show or happening, that mileage requiement would be waved.

28. ken1939

ken1939

They didnt deal in STATED value in the 90s. State Farm did what they wanted, not me.

29. I don't know, should the events of 10-20 years ago dictate where to buy insurance now?

Another thing, stated value on a new car that depreciates quickly in value, is different from stated value on a classic, which tends to hold it's value if nothing else.

30. I just got a quote from Condon and Skelly. $119 per year. It was $198 for Grundy. The only stipulation is a 2500 mile per year milage limit. Which I can live with. They also clearly state that you can use you car for "joy riding" Grundy was kind of fuzzy about using it other than going to and from car related functions.
    Also, I did a google search on Condon and Skelly claims service and found alot of unhappy people when it caim to getting damage fixed and their service. Obviously the money saved wont mean much if you need to file a calim.

Though I would pass the info on. Todd

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010