Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shop Press Tooling

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lawman, Jan 3, 2012.

1. MikesIron

MikesIron
    from Union, OR

I'll second that; lists like the Tri-Five make it a lot easier to find the stuff that that is relevant.

2. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Elpolacko,
    You have a pneumatic control on your press. Did you make it or did you buy it from somebody?

3. It can be narrowed down further if guys would use the prefixes (Blue lettering to the right of the title in brackets by some threads)that Ryan has provided when they post a thread. Then you can go to a category like Hotrods, Customs, Technical etc and search just those topics but if guys don't bother using them they are useless.

4. lawman

lawman

Hey Guy's and Gal"s,I posted under the same heading in the "Garage Jour." They posted some GREAT stuff" Check it out and I won't "Bump" it up as to keep from making some folk's mad !!!!

5. Hey guys, Just returned from AZ. and stoped & visited Elpolacko's shop. WOW! everyone that has a chance to do this I highly recomend it. He has got talent running out his ass. Gave us a 50 cent tour and was a very cool dude to take the time out of his day to show us around his digs. I knopw he has p[osted lot's of cool things on the HAMB, but you have not seen shit untill you go there.
    Thank's steve.....I really enjoyed the visit.
    383deuce

6. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Recently bought (felt I got a great deal, but it needs a new clutch spring) a punch press and it came with a lot of stuff. ex. louvers,etc etc etc Anything I have, I can take a better pic if you want. The rusty ones were like that when I got them, I'm in the process of organizing them and cleaning them and placing them in proper storage since I'm a neat freak and it must be organized/labeled... :)

[​IMG]

EDIT: Reread the "homemade" in the OP thread, I can delete this if you want, despite it did come with some homemade backyard dies/etc...

7. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

What kind of punch press Brother?

The dies and such look similar to the old Whitney Punch that we have in our shop at work.

8. That is an amazing assortment! Heaven for a toolhead!

9. lawman

lawman

You got a great buy if they are sharp. I have a pair of "Whitney" 10 ton's.
    I made some good "strippers"for them and will post some pix's is anyone care's to see them. Tooling for them is not cheap !!!!!

Attached Files:

10. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

It's a old Whitney/Jensen punch. I got everything shown plus the punch press and another pictures worth of stuff for 350 to my house. Louvers (just 1) and many others. Actually the majority of them are still good, a few are used and abused, but for the price, I couldn't complain...

Excuse the multi posts, when I go to multi quote, my pos computer locks up for some reason
    Also, excuse the mess, the garage is in a serious and complete cleaning, so it's sorta a episode of Hoarders at the moment...

NOT trying to hijack the thread or get it off topic, but here is the press I got with the stuff shown before and much more....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  11. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Thanks, I have many more not pictured. I'm trying to slowly build up a shop so I can build a hotrod some day from scratch. I still have A LOT to learn, but I want to learn on my own time and not rush anything...

12. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

I got everything pictured and more for 350, so a few are used and abused, but the majority are def. useable. I still have a ton of stuff i need to buy, but I bought it with the intent on using it in the near future. Moving the thing was a utter bit*h, but I got it home and in the garage. Next big purchase is a BIG air compressor and welder....

13. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

You got a nice deal there, Brother!
    Now you need to make friends with someone who owns a surface grinder, to do some tool sharpening!

14. lawman

lawman

That is a GREAT !!!!!!! Buy. Congrats.

15. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Thanks you 2 ^^^. I also have a VERY talented cousin that was in the tool and die trade and another friend blocks away that was in the same field and offered to make me dies/etc for whatever I wanted for free if I supplied the material, machines and tooling. I plan on buying a used Bridgeport and lathe and have him teach me stuff when the funds are available. He just misses making stuff and he said I could benefit from it... :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  16. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

That would def. be nice. :)

17. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

18. lawman

lawman

You have a whole new word going to open up to you !!!!!

19. studeboy

studeboy

Sounds like an awesome deal. Hope it works out.

20. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Did you get all the guides, and alignment fence, etc..., for the punch?

21. AG F/C

AG F/C

Making good use of my home made shop press. I turned it into a rubber molding machine. I make engine and transmission mounts for old IH's. The Haskel air amplifier on the side will make 600 + psi from my 120 psi shop air. The blue air cylinder operates the compression plunger on 175 psi.
    Looks very McGyver but makes me some extra money for the hotrod habit. There is one engine mount in the oven in this photo.
    [​IMG]

22. AG F/C

AG F/C

Bought this Diarco 18 station turret punch last year. The die sets are pretty simple to make. THe stock dies are made with .009 clearence which is to much for this material like .020-.010 thick so I made a couple I needed out of A2 tool steel. Hasy to heat treat in a muff oven with only stainless wraping. Air quenched and draw back at 600F.
    This is the best purchase I have made of equipment other then my Bridgeport mill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. FANTM58

FANTM58

Heres a low-buk hole press.
    I used it to enlarge the back of some head lite buckets

Attached Files:

24. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

What are those pieces originally?
    That looks like it'd be remarkably easy to use as a radius die.

-Brad

25. FANTM58

FANTM58

They are just PVC fittings from the hardware store,,

26. Als27T

Als27T

Here's a pretty basic form tool for forming tubing for header flange tubing transition from rectangle to round.

Attached Files:

27. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Thanks a lot... :)

That is what I'm hoping for, I'm trying to build a 2 man garage where 2 people can just R&D and prototype or just build crazy ideas with no time restraints like a normal job has...

28. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

I have like another tables worth of stuff not shown. I do have the protective parts for the machine to save your fingers and some stuff i honestly do not know what they are since I'm still a rookie in the fab world. I got the machine due to a sad/dark situation, but I gave the owner the asking price and bought about 1200 more worth of stuff (Sand blasting cabinet, 2 buffers, and many more stuff) off of her in 2 days. I was also very honest about things and current pricing and was totally upfront, so I felt good about the transaction and she cut me a deal for my honesty and desire to just move the stuff out. I could of got it cheaper, but she was a friend, so I respected the entire transaction...
    Sorry for rambling... :)

29. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Looks like a beauty, when I was in the sheet metal union out here, I used that a lot during school. Despite just making HVAC stuff, I miss the shop environment..