Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shop maintenance, getting organized. It's about time.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, after reading about guys cleaning their shop, I got motivated.

I have had a retractable hose reel on the work bench for over 10 years. My father-in-law bought me a couple for Christmas one year.

My whole shop is gradually getting plumbed with 1/2" galvanized water pipe. I am about 60 % done. Today, I forced myself to mount one of the reels on the wall and plumb shop air to the outside front of the shop.

I always need an airline for my sand blaster and I can never close the door fully due to the hose being there. Today that ended. Now I can add air to the car tires without having to open the shop.

I gave away a 6' workbench to a buddy, loaded that sucker and sent it on it's way.
    I had the old style cherry picker without the casters on the front, once you fold the legs up. I welded up a couple of plates and mounted some casters. For the first time, I was able to fold up the cheery picker and push it up against the wall.

I am feeling accomplished.

Thursday I start on the overhead reel for the lift area.....

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    rladams65, fauj, Boneyard51 and 15 others like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang, you make me feel like a slacker. The weather is a bit too iffy here to drag a bunch of stuff outside my little one car garage to sort it out and rearrange it today though.

hotrodjack33 and Stogy like this.
  3. The benefit of cleaning the shop is that you sometimes FIND things that you have not seen in a long time, plus it lets the brain start planning on what the next move is to continue finishing all the projects that are unfinished.

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

You have me beat on the hose reel. I bought one 3 years ago and still laying on the bench. I really do need to clean the shop.

Boneyard51, Stogy and Roothawg like this.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I used to look at it and just think...man that's gonna snowball. So, I just kept putting it off.

fauj and Stogy like this.
  6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I have one mounted next to lift. This one is for the hanging by the door to get air outside further. I have enough hose so I never put it up. Someday it will get there.

Stogy and Roothawg like this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I don`t have a hose reel. So that`s one less thing I don`t have.

Boneyard51, -Brent- and Stogy like this.
  8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

no pics it didnt happen......

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Pics of my hose reel are pretty boring.

Boneyard51, chevyfordman and Stogy like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah but its what's in your shop that gets the juices flowing...;)

chevyfordman and Roothawg like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They have their pros and cons BUT more pros...less tripping hazards being one of those pros...and easy windup another...

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'll take some shots of the shop when it's actually clean.

Boneyard51 and Stogy like this.
  15. My shop looks like a bomb went off... I desperately need to do the same. I was just telling the boys tonight that maybe we need to sell a bunch of crap at the swap meet in Dewey in a week and a half so I can find stuff. Samuels vette needed an alternator tonight and I know I probably have 10 stored somewhere. After digging around through stuff for probably 30 minutes finding lots of other stuff I forgot I had, I decided I really need to get organized and get rid of excess.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have a retractable air line but I have a retractable extension cord with a duel receptacle at the end as it was missing a plug...but is not up yet...:oops:

guthriesmith likes this.
  17. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

funny is what its all about..still waiting on the pics you hoser..i mean your hose...ha ha

18. But, .... Did you ever find one of the many alternators that you have? Probably have to go out and buy one. Remember that after you buy one, two or three of the "lost" alternators will be in plain sight.

19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL I'm in the same boat...small one car garage...35 years and NEVER had room for a car in it. A workbench on either side and a path in the middle. Gravity has moved almost everything I own on to the floor...but who am I to disturb physics. ;)

20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

My deal is I sell stuff on here and mysteriously stuff comes back through the door and refills the empty spots. Amazing how that works every time :)

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah, I really enjoyed your albums @Mr48chev :D Your photos are great:cool:

Stogy likes this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one reason I really need to clean my garage out, drag everything outside and then put things back with a semblance of organization and either get rid of a bunch of stuff or find somewhere else to store it. It looks worse than one of those barn find hoarder buildings you see photos of right now.

wheeldog57, Roothawg and Stogy like this.
  23. Mart

Mart

Hey, Root, I did that exact same job to my engine crane. Fitted a castor to the front. I've been using it a lot lately and it makes it super easy to stow after use. I also have a hose reel for the air and can use it in the shop but as it is near the door I can use it outside too.
    Making things handy to use is a gift that keeps on giving.

24. I am an accomplished shifter of stuff to make room for other stuff.

25. Nope, waiting to find them until after we buy a new one... :rolleyes: I did find a couple, but they were both earlier “HAMB-friendly” alternators than what we needed. :D

26. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

It won't be boring anything, until you hook a pneumatic drill to it! :D

27. Mine is terrible. I used the hot weather as an excuse not to do anything with in, next it will be too cold. But I need to get the snow blower out to go over it and make it so I can move around without getting killed or trapped. I can barely get into my car when I want to use it.

28. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Once upon a time in a garage not so far away I had a floor and when you looked in the garage you could see the floor and could see from side to side and front to back . But then something happened and the floor disappeared and paths appeared and in these paths were things scary thing that you trip over , step on and even worse I believe there are things that may bite you . So be careful and watch out so this doesn't happen to your garage because the only cure for this is fire and a bulldozer . You have been warned . Good Luck

29. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

First thing on my list to do when I retire in the near future!!

30. Budget36

Budget36

So true.
    Remember the old saying “there should be a war every 10 years to stimulate the economy “

rusty valley, Stogy and Roothawg like this.