Register now to get rid of these ads!

shoebox with 3spd o/d question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglydog56, Apr 27, 2009.

1. uglydog56

uglydog56

Hello! I'm putting a 3 on the tree with o/d in my 56 4dr driver. I have a question about the kickdown switch. Does it have any special functions, or is it just a micro switch that's not so micro? I'd like to just put a micro switch under the dash that actuates off the gas pedal, but I don't know if it will do what the car needs it to.

Thanks,
    Rick

2. hankcash

hankcash

If memory serves... it was a switch that went to a relay on the tranny that in turn activated the O/D gear.
    I would assume that as long as you keep everything wired correctly, the kick-down switch (or replacement switch) can be mounted anywhere in the car.

hc

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

It kills the ignition momentarily (note the coil wire) so the the pressure on the gears is relieved allowing the trans to drop out of OD. With out this feature the load on the gears will keep it in OD until you let up on the gas. The original switches are available often on Ebay.

4. kustomkat

kustomkat

That kick down switch actually puts power to the solenoid to dis-engage the overdrive. One wire on the solenoid kicks the rod out, the other pulls it back in. You can actually get rid of all the factory stuff and just put a toggle switch to turn the solenoid on or off. Thats the way both my cars are and it works great. PM me if I can help in any way...