Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shoebox Frankenstein from swamps

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Trefl, Nov 5, 2015.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek: Now this is going to be a fun build.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

2. m.kozlowski

m.kozlowski

I'll chime in, since Trefl is my friend and all the work is done in my backyard :)
    The black one was hit in the front, mangling the frame. The brown one looks worse, but in reality it's in quite good shape. Black one was rusted underneath, brown one - on the upside. So each one required almost equal amount of work. We decided to make one good one from the two. Decision wasn't easy with which to start with, so we just started cutting the one closest to the door :)
    I strongly advised Trefl to start with the floors and all the repair work, but he is so hot-headed it was pointless :)
    At least there is some bracing used. For now we're tying C-pillars, then we'll move to B-pillar on passenger side, then we'll work on A-pillars. Chop is quite difficult since we're keeping it four door.
    The black one was propably used by polish security service in '50's...

3. Trefl

Trefl

Thanks for info! The black one was really rusted from the bottom, the brown one looked more solid there, thats why I swap the top side from the black (also I'll take left side doors, B pillar,hood, decklid and maybe right front and rear wing- but they are invenly rusted in both cars). Now I mad on myself that I didn't do this project site earlyer- I would as You for some advices about the engine, but now I will go with the stuff I have.

4. Trefl

Trefl

Marcin I didn't see that You have replyed... :)

5. Trefl

Trefl

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The 226 Ford six is quite a good engine. It's performance in stock configuration was equal to, or a little better than, the V8. If I recall correctly, it was rated at 90 horsepower, vs the V8 100 hp, but the six had better torque. And, they do not have the overheating problems common to the V8.

Keep up the good work.....looking forward to more progress reports.

Best wishes,

Ray

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I really like this project! I can imagine that is a pretty rare car in Poland!

9. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Dude,,,,,,,Youre baddass!!!!!!!!!!
    I like the way its going and even the shop..

10. zjerry

zjerry

Looking good..

11. Looks like your having fun on the project.
    Love the flatties, 6 or 8 cylinder.
    You going to make it a two door?

12. 'Mo

'Mo

13. Mo, thanks for the heads up.:p:D

14. Trefl

Trefl

Today I've managed to put together and unscrew bellhousing, flywheel and other stuff for five times in my 226. Last week I've realized that somehow my freshly rebuild flathead is stuck. I had some thoughts about reasons and I was considering dismentaling all the engine to bare block. I've started with unscrewing bellhousing and oilpan. In this situation I thought I'll try to spin engine for last time and, as You can imagine, it started to move freely... My first thought as that the problem is in rope seal in the pan. So I work on it for next 40 minut, put the oil pan on its place and the engine still moved freely. So the problem was solved. Then I screwd fly wheel on it's place and the prolbem occured again... God damn it!
    Then I've stared to think that the problem lies in flywheel bolts, but htat didn't work. So I'm looking betvene flywheel and engine block for next 15 minutes or so and I can't see the problem... And eureka! I've put 2 washers (that spring one and ordinary) which pushed bolts head so much that it blocked the flywheel and frozed up the engine (I won't show You any photos because of the level of embarsasment)... So I happily put together all the parts and just after screewing lats bolt I've realized that I forgot about the back freez plug about which I spoke not to forgot to my friend in the shop... So again- unscrew everything and put that sh*tty freez plug in its place. IMG_6860[1].JPG IMG_6861[1].JPG After this happy time I've managed to weld engine tray and put the engine like it should be
    IMG_6864[1].JPG If the engine won't start it'll still be a wonderful beer case, still a bit heavy, so I wouldn't recomend it for weekend vacation.

At last I've also cleaned combustion chamber in the engine head
    IMG_6867[1].JPG
    And started to begin the end of this historycal assembly (I've got to be honest- it took me almost 2 years of very slow work ;)) and raised my level of patience. I have to say that it is one of my biggest dreams to have and rebuild a flathead engine, and that dream came throu! IMG_6869[1].JPG IMG_6870[1].JPG

15. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Nice motor! Have the same in my F1 truck runs wunderful havent been opened since 1950!

16. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Looks like you are moving right along.Any further progress?

17. Good work!:) And nice job on that Buick, as well. :cool:
    Some threads on the HAMB, about making 4 drs into 2...but looks like you have got your hands full, with this much.

JT

18. Trefl

Trefl

I'm still working on this project, but it gives me levels of iritation I didn't imagine I could have... I thought that I'll manage to start up the flatty, as I've finished up the full flow conversion, but I've broke the tooth of oil pump gear... I forgot to make photo, maybe Marcin could help out, but for me it was the end- I wanted to make this project burn! Still, the engine is almost ready. But everything should be in order, so- first I've pluged up outlet port from the oil pump
    IMG_4872.JPG
    Because of my work I have posibility to make some CAD drawings and laser cut some steel like those below: IMG_6726[1].JPG IMG_6935[1].JPG first plate will be a part of the oil pump. I've drilled a hole in that first thick plate to weld up new outlet
    IMG_6940[1].JPG than there was time for the triangle shape plate- I've made it to seal the holes after old oil filter can. As I wasn't sure should I pluged in 100% I've done sort of a groove
    IMG_6937[1].JPG I've putted all the bricks together and I have this for now (I've got to thank m.kozlowski for making those nice oil hoses for me- thanks Men!)
    IMG_6965[1].JPG IMG_6966[1].JPG And as I wrote befor- I'm stuck. You can imagine how its hard to find another oil pump here in Poland... So here is a question for all You HAMBers- is this gear from V8 interchangeble with my broken oil pump gear in 226?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flathead-Fo...ash=item58c8c04cd7:g:1xEAAOSwPcVVoA~9&vxp=mtr
    it looks similar.... Anyway, I'm puting off the revival of the engine for now, cause, for now, I can't think of anything else, than throwing this stubborn piece of s*$t for high mountain straight to volcano... I'll try to write about welding the B pillar tomorrow, but it didn't went well either...

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

Hang in there! You're doing a good job, I'm sure an oil pump gear can be located for you, although I don't know if the V8 one is the same.

Trefl likes this.
  20. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoying your build thread . You are doing a great job .

Trefl likes this.
  21. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Looks like you are making good progress! Is there a flathead gear anywhere around that you can compare with your broken one?

Trefl likes this.
  22. Trefl

Trefl

Thanks Guys for all the positive feedback. I'm just a bit frustated- it's two years since I've starter to overhault this engine and I really want to hear it at last (especially that we didn't manage to get it running befor the revival).

Model B likes this.
  23. Trefl

Trefl

the problem is that I really don't have anything. My plan is to mesure my broken gear and ask politly that vendor who is selling those gears for his mesurments.

Model B likes this.
  24. Trefl

Trefl

Ok, as promised I'll update my work on the body of frank. Work is slowing down cause of the weather- it started to be a bit chilly and windy here in Poland, so m.kozlowski's son suggested that we should fit some new fornt glass IMG_6902[1].JPG that didn't work out too well, so we went to the next point- THE B PILLAR HORROR. For starts I wanted to do the easyer part, thats why I started from passanger side. IMG_6903[1].JPG as You can see it doesn't fit too well. The only option is to burst some sparks!
    IMG_6904[1].JPG
    Wow- maybe I should build a hardtop... Nevermind. I've cut up some roof more form the front of B pillar just to place it properly, made some crappy welds and it's in place!
    IMG_6907[1].JPG
    the worst thing is that I think I won't be able to do any more bodywork- at least in 2015 because of the weather, but stay tuned, I'll try to update the project as fast as I can. Merry christmas to all!

dr_gonzo and Squablow like this.
  25. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Could you post a picture and dimensions of the gear you need?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  26. Trefl

Trefl

steinauge- I'll do the mesurments and photo on saturday, cause I have that broken pump in m.kozlowski's garage

27. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Good.I have a bunch of assorted old oil pumps off of who knows what.We may get lucky.

28. Trefl

Trefl

Your support os great! Thank You very much! So I've mesured and it looks like this: IMG_6998[1].JPG in inches. Hight was about 0,5 inch, but my phone didn't save the photo of mesurment, so I will clarify

29. Trefl

Trefl

And now something completely different- small update! Cause of the wind of course. Its funny how I excuse my laziness :) But it really was windy today... Nevermind. I wanted to go big- pillar A, but, when I started to think about how to do it I've lost my confidence. I don't want things to go more complicated than they are now, so I want Your opinion, dear HAMBers, how should I connect those pillars. I have my thoughts to cut some steel under the dash, lay those bottom end of the pillar, than cut up triangel or so in pillars in the roof and that weld them up together, but I'm worried about the doors... IMG_6988[1].JPG So I've moved back to C pillars

30. Trefl

Trefl

The gear looks like this: IMG_6998[1].JPG IMG_7001[1].JPG IMG_7003[1].JPG IMG_7004[1].JPG all in inches

Attached Files: