Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical shoebox Ford tail light question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Russ B, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Has anyone ever used '53 or 54 Chevy tail lights on their '49-51 ford? Any Pics would be appreciated. I went through a bunch of threads, but found nothing. It seems they might fit easily and are a bit unique. I would probably recess them a bit.

Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I would not deviate from the original 49/50 tail lights...You want to use the chey lights then use the rest of the car too..Why make a Ford look like a chevy..

chop job and LWEL9226 like this.
  3. Stock 49 - 50 frenched and 50 - 52 Buick, 50 -52 Pontiac, thats it. look at all the fords with other tail lights they just look bad even 51s are not so good looking.

4. The Chevy units are way to long, that's why you can't find photos of them. You'd be better of trying 52 Buick lenses. Personally I think this treatment is hard to beat.
    ashley.jpg
    The Wizzard

chop job and Rex Stallion like this.

5. 'Mo

'Mo

I have seen them (54's), frenched and canted downward/inward from the windsplit.
    More than "a bit unique", as it has been more than 50 years.
    Looked bitchin', in the Krazy 60's!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  6. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

You do realize this was posted under the heading "Traditional Customs", right???

While you're at it, let's forbid fat Fords with Caddy grilles and any custom with Buick side trim.

7. I agree. Some people become such SOB if your not a purist. I say you build the car for you, make it from your own imagination. Don't let anyone discourage you from making YOUR car the way YOU want it. Look, Foose or Rad Rods by Troy and others built killer rides using parts from other cars to create cool rides