Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Ford radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D.W., May 21, 2007.

1. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

The radiator in the 51 took a shit over the weekend. Maybe it's fixable, maybe it's not.
    I'm having trouble finding a new one. I figured w/ the overwhelming aftermarket support for these cars, it would be easy. Wrong.
    I called Walker cause their website blows.
    $700 bucks for a fucking flathead radiator?!
    The custom, handbuillt aluminum job from Ron Davis in my coupe was over $100 LESS!
    I figure I'll check around w/ parr & other places.

Anybody here have a good source?

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Most radiator shops will recore your radiator by running new tubes on your existing upper and lower tanks. providing they are in good shape. Yes, its still expensive. Take this from a fellow who has been band aiding a 75 year old radiator for 5 years. I have repaired two of them and replaced two of them simply because i was too damn cheap to bite the bullet and recore one. Over the years, I had spent way too much time and money with leaks and radiator problems because of it. If I could have gathered all the money i spent on these temporary fixes and problems. i could have easily spent the money and recored. flatheads need a good radiator anyway.
    right now I have finally sent it to the shop for the recore job.
    500-600 is usually the going rate.

3. I went through the same problem. I wanted to throw in an aftermarket rad. but everyone was so expensive. I decided to just take my original in and have it recored. Found a little hole in the wall shop by the house. He redid the hole thing for about 200 bucks. Works great no problems ever..and i live in cali where its always hot.

4. toledobill

toledobill

I've usually found the local radiator shop (any of them) can build/rebuild a good radiator cheaper than anything new. If you want specifics on Shoebox parts new and used (including radiators), call Chris or Ray in Oklahoma at 405-732-6027 (also at www.Shoeboxford.com ).

5. suicidal-element

suicidal-element
    from Auburn, CA

Try looking at gorods.com. They seem to have pretty decent pricing on their radiators. I got one for my 50 Shoebox that hooks up to a small block for about $450.

6. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Thanks guys! Called the local rad.repair joint & he was undaunted by the task. Said for $200-300 he will recore it.
    Take him a week & he is 10 min. from the house.
    I am still stunned that Walker wants $700 for a radiator!
    Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
    What a buncha knuckleheads!

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Similar instance, the car was hit and the rad was finished. I new stock replacement was going to cost me 400. Ended up getting a Griffin 4 row Aluminum Cross Flow for 200. This was for another car, not my shoebox but even still it goes to show you.

8. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

My radiator professional lives in the same small village, its a five minutes walk. He uses heavy duty material from tractors for the radiator web, because their engines are capsuled because of noise.
    Ive got icicles on my chebby block since then......