Register now to get rid of these ads!

shoebox center fog light

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sandimasguy, May 8, 2006.

1. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

i saw a sweet orange shoebox at the nitro nats this weekend and it had a pretty sweet center fog light in place of the star in the grille. is this a stock option on the car as it looked that clean and if its not is there a co. out there selling a kit or something.

thanks all

2. atomickustom

atomickustom

It was not a factory option, and there is no kit to make it work.
    Just find an old fog light that is big enough to look okay in the opening, and make a couple brackets to hold it in place from behind. I'm guessing most of the guys who do this don't actually make the light work, but I think that'd be cool. I've also seen them with a headlight installed there. Kind of Tucker-ish.

3. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

cool thanks for the info i was kinda hoping it was that easy

4. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I've seen old kits for sale that did what you say, and the fog light would turn as you turned the car. So someone did make them back in the day. I'm pretty sure the one I saw was on ebay, it was years ago though when I was looking for stuff for my old shoebox....

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep... I you could by them from Sears back in the day, but I have no idea who made them... I love em...

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

They was a kit in the 50s. I don't remember it turning with the wheels though. That was a Tucker feature.

7. 4woody

4woody

Here's a Do-Ray running light that they suggested in the grill center. Doesn't swivel and only about 2.5" diameter.

Attached Files:

8. yep, I have seen these kits too. The pop up from time to time on E-Gay...

Cool ideas

9. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

10. they were pretty simple with a bracket coming off the left spindle to a bracket off the back of the light. most I've were broke at one end

11. YEAH..I just bought a doo ray center light off of ebay last week. waiting to recieve it.I saw one yrs ago on a shoey and have always dug them.Finally found a mint one at a good price.I'll post a pic or two when it arrives.

12. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

yep thats the orange shoe i saw

now one step harder what about a green light?

13. Uhhhh... I just don't get that look. :confused:

To me that looks goofy, breaking the symmetry (sp?) of the front apart. But then again, to each his own. I have a '62 Rambler wagon - what the Hell do I know about good looking cars?

14. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

So you want a green light huh? Ill tell you an old VW secret when I was into them years back....everyone was wanting the Euro look with amber lights and blue ones too....we figured out that colored Wrenolds Wrap over the lens was the coolest and not to mention the cheapest solution to all of our needs! shoot one roll did our whole clubs busses! the heat does not affect it one bit cause its microwave safe just wrap it and go! Whatever color they make you could have in 5min.! Hope that helps! Here it is on my 60 double cab.

Attached Files:

15. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

Yes there was a kit. I had one for my 50 that I found at a swapmeet. Ran it briefly and pulled it. Sold it several years back to a restorer who about wet himself when he spotted it. LOL

16. Squablow

Squablow

That is cool shit. Not sure I'd do that with any of my cars, but if I show that to a friend of mine every one of his cars will have that by the weekend. That's a neat trick, could tint all kinds of shit that way.

17. Gumpa

Gumpa

Here in Washington you can't run red, blue or green in the front of a vehicle. Red and Blue are for cops and Green is for vollenteer fire department. Gumpa

18. oldlites4u

oldlites4u
    from GA.

is this for sale ???
    Jim

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

HA! Hilarious. First you need a DeLorean capable of 88mph...

20. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

hmmm...where is this thread going?

21. i have one on mine, i made it myself. Got keep it a secret so everybody does have one.

22. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

that shit is funny ! ya you may want to check the thread dates your diggin up !

23. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Anyone have any photographs of this on a '51 Shoebox?

24. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

I have one on my 49a

[​IMG]

25. oldlites4u

oldlites4u
    from GA.

if i am asking in the right place ??? Is it for sale ??
    Jim

26. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This thread is three years old dude!! And there was nothing for sale.

27. the other way to do it is go to a electrical supply store or car audio place and get colored "mouse rubbers" to put over the bulbs......same way ya change the color of dash lite bulbs.