Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox alu rad Q

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedchop, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Hi Guys,
    I have a 289 (W) swap in progress. I bought an alu radiator from Wizard but there is noo way it will fit. The rad comes with an electric fan with prefabbed mountings on the radiator itself. I knew it was tight and Wizard cooling ensured me that this was the "thinnest" setup. The water pump axle sticks out too much. I have a hard time determining how tight it is currently.. I have Fatmans engine mounts. Have anyone experienced this? Is a Ford Motorsports shorty pump going to sort my probs or..?

Any input is highly appreciated!

Thanks/ Speedy

2. pics please. I don't understand why so far. My sbf with a 66 mustang rad has lots of room even with a short spacer and conventional fan.

Attached Files:

3. I would expect you to have plenty of room. how much space does the electric fan take up?

4. I just checked out their web-site it looks like nice stuff.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If you go with the Ford Racing short pump you will pick up about an inch and a half. You will also need the correct timing cover, the correct dampener, and a set of pulleys from Runne Rite. I am running this setup on my 27 and it gave me the room I needed for a big SPAL fan and cured my running warm issues. Not the cheapest way to go, but them Ford small blocks are long.

Don

6. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Hmm, strange.. I take your point Tedley. Sure looks like u have oceans of space compared to me. Maybe my engine is further fwd. However I don't think it could be moved backwards either. I'll try and fire off some pics later today.

Thanks for the responses!

/Speedy

7. I should mention i opened up the tunnel as well. I made my own motor mounts I didn't want the motor so low i couldn't run a standard fan. The valve cover clearance is about 1 inch from firewall. That's with big block merc valve cover adaptors.

Attached Files:

8. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Ok,
    It looks similar to my setup. Since it's Fatman motor mounts and gearbox mounts I trust it's a proven design. I compared the old flathead radiator with the alu rad and the alu one is a tad thicker. Anyway, if I loose the puller fan it slips into place but with no room left. Maybe I go for a pusher fan instead and the Motorsports water pump just to tidy things up. What, besides the pump, gasket and bolts do I need to complete the fit?

Thanks/ Speedy