Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoe box/ merc overdrives, can they be swapped?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hiboy32, Mar 6, 2013.

1. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I have a 49 ford overdrive trans and I want to put it on 49 merc three speed. Is that something that might work. I don't have either Trans here to look at to see this is something to even consider. I was just hoping someone had the knowledge to know if this even worth looking into.

Thanks, Jeff

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. daddio211

daddio211

Damnit! I did all this research about a year ago (for my '50 Shoebox) and had all these answers, but now I can't remember ANY of it.

Since I'm on my phone I can't search through my own posts very well (not all of them show up) so I can't direct you to the thread.

If someone else can direct you before tomorrow morning cool, otherwise I'll post it from my desk then. :)

3. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Your subject line and your text don't agree. Do you want to install the '49 Merc O.D. transmission in a '49 Merc or do you want to install it in a "Shoebox" ('49-'51 Ford)? If it's the former, it's a bolt in but will require som wiring. If it's the latter, you'll need the '49 Merc or '48-'51(?) truck bell housing as well. The '49 Merc transmission has the large bell on the front similar to '32-'48 Fords & Mercs thus its own unique bell housing for the late 8BA style block. The shoe box Fords used a small 4 bolt "modern" transmission mounting pattern.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  4. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Reading this I was as clear as mud.. I always tell my son to read out loud what he has written to make sure your point is made. What I am wanting to do is swap the borg warner OD unit from the Ford trans to the Merc trans. I am wanting to bolt this to a 59ab, so that is where the merc trans comes in. I was also wondering if anyone knows the trans length s?

5. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

yes you can put a merc trans behind a ford. I did it in my T and it will take a little bit of figuring out with the bell housings. but thats for you to figure out. get it got it done. i can go check the length if you PM me.

6. snaptwo

snaptwo

Clutch linkage ? 49-53 Ford was different than 49-51 Merc.

7. daddio211

daddio211

8. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I think what you want to do is 1) get your hands on the Borg Warner or a Motors manual; 2) take everything out of both cases-place in separate piles; 3) follow the manual and reassemble all the pieces from the Ford into the Mercury case along with the O.D. housing from the Ford..

9. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Yes, that is what I was hoping to do. I am hoping everything is interchangeable.

10. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Even the Mercury overdrives from 49 to early 51 have some internal changes with the shift rail and lockout switch . The Mercury cars didn't change to the 51 New style 4-bolt trans till late 51 production. Nothing interchanges between the 49/50 and the 51 Ford transmissions internally whether Ford or late 51 Mercury. They changed the gears in 51. The 49 thru early 51 Mercury transmission has different front case (as was mentioned before) and the tail housing is also different than the 49/50 Ford cars. There may be a few crossover interchangeable parts but not too many. Ford input was smaller and mainshafts were different.

You can use a Ford/Borg Warner 4-bolt trans in a Mercury if you have the right bellhousing. The Late 51 Merc bell housing will fit the earlier 49/50 Ford 4-bolt transmission or the later 51/53 4-bolt transmission. Some of the overdrive stuff changed but it will still be adaptable.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  11. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Oh, that isn't the best news I have heard. I might end up just getting a new drive shaft made then, till I can get the merc with overdrive.

12. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

The '49/'50 Ford gears will take a lot more punishment than the '49 - early '51 mercury gears. The '49 - early '51 mercurys gears were the same as the ''40 - '48 Ford gears. The stronger Ford gears can be installed in the mercury case IF you know exactly what to swap. I can't recall - haven't messed with 'em since 1958. I learned this after replacing too many '50 Mercury trannys. Hollanders Interchange will bear out the gear swap.

When you get done, you'll love the overdrive!

13. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

First, you really won't be able to swap the OD section of the one trans over to the other. Differences in the gearbox cases prevent that. Overall length might also be different which would mean a modified driveshaft.

A complete swap of trannies is also a problem. Different input shaft splines. Different bell housing. Different clutch release mechanism.

Honestly, it would be easier (and cheaper) in the long run to find a complete 49-50 Merc overdrive trans. Freshen it up and use it. Early '51 Merc trannies are like the 49-50 in case you run across one of them.

15. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I'll defer to Mac VanPelt. I didn't realize that the Merc case was different from the Ford-back of the bell. Or that the Merc innards were different.

16. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I didn't realize all the internal differences, but that is why I am asking this. My problem is I am trying to make my car run by next week. I had a trans lined up and now the fella says he doesn't have one. I am able to get a 49 merc non OD this weekend and I have a Ford OD Trans, and was hoping maybe I could make one.

17. Jeff........I've changed so many shubox ford trannys [due to failure] I've still got gravel-dimples in my back! I don't trust them as far as I can throw one.
    That said, why not scarf up a speedway T-5 bellhousing kit and bolt up an old S-10 trans? They're not the strongest but they're still stronger than a shubox or merc trans with better gear spacing and no monkey-motion overdrive solenoids, governers, cables etc....and unless somebody actually crawls under your deuce, nobody but you will know it's there.
    I used an S-10 tranny behind my 59AB in my old 33 pickup and absolutely loved it!
    If you decide to go T-5, call or PM me. I've got a spare.

18. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Well Rock, as you know I am not trying too hard to stay completely vintage with the drive train. Money and time play a Huge factor in how my ol beater gets built. Right now I don't have time and money to do a T5 swap. But maybe now is a good time to start collecting parts...