Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shocks for a lowered '54 Bel Air ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Westside Lefty, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

So I dropped the ass of my Chevy 4 inches and the shocks bottomed out. The local parts store can't do anything unless it says to on the computer. Anybody have a suggestion for a rear shock that will work? Thanks in advance.

2. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

You can look up the stock specs on a shock manufacturers website - look up http://www.monroe.com/catalog_lookup/ocl_default.asp for example. It'll allow you to reference your stock shock, then go to the specifications guide and find your stock shock's measurements and compare them with a shock that is roughly 4" shorter (or measure and estimate yourself) and get the part number. Make sure the ends are the same.

I just did this and it worked out well.

3. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

You could always check out suicidedoor.com or fbi minis, they sale all that suspension stuff for lowered trucks and such. Or just call Gambino Kustoms( he is an alliance vender here) and he'll know exactly what shock you need. If your a alliance member he'll give you 10% off too!

4. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

Thanks fellas. I'd hate to bug Mr.G for a set o' shocks. I'll try the monroe route...

5. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Sure its your shocks bottoming out? I took 4 outta the ass of my 54 H/T by de arching the springs and its usually the snub rubbers hitting.

6. cretin

cretin

I went the monroe route when I bagged mine, found some that fit perfect and bought the Napa equvilent.

7. Big Tony

Big Tony

I measured what i needed and went to an old parts store and went to measuring what i needed. I also went with some air shocks so when i need to haul some weight in the trunk, like cooloers chairs and such i could use the air to keep from hitting and it works really well...just some food for thought... good luck

8. stewedscrewdtattood

stewedscrewdtattood

or try toxic shocks website tell them exactly what u need great shocks for lowerd vehicles

9. Custom54

Custom54

Like Chebby Bel Air says, I took over six inches out of mine and used new stock shocks with no problem. It may be something else hitting like the snub rubbers or axle to frame, you may need a c-notch.

10. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

OK....I better get under there again. Thanks.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Yep. the rubber stops are likely hitting. Cut them down real short, but do not eliminate them. If you have changed rear ends the axle tubes may not be hitting factory stops. Get a pair of the threaded urethane type stops from off road shop. I got some at Pep Boys Auto Parts. Also, as added protection from bottoming out when people in back seat I installed a set of coil springs that bolt on over your stock shocks. Got those at Pep Boys too.

12. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

i cut my bumpstops down to 1/2 inch. also if you used drop blocks, dont you need longer shocks instead of shorter ones?

13. BadLuck

BadLuck

I bought the Napa ones for my 52 also....Response Shocks part #94095...good luck!:)