Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shock Absorber Stroke

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PHIL COOPY, Mar 16, 2017.

1. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

I know it sounds simple, but if one overthinks it enough, it can be confusing to a simple mind like mine. I have not found a technical definition so far. Having said that, if a shock absorber has a 4" stroke, does that mean 2" travel up and 2" down or, 4" travel up and 4" down ?

2. BJR

BJR

Total movement from all the way compressed to all the way extended.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shocks do not work that way. The stroke has to match or exceed the suspension travel during the extent of operation, at its expected extremes.

Valving is directional in most modern shocks. Up us dampened as compression, down is dampened as droop/rebound. That is not based on a fixed position in the shocks (unless using high-tech off-road shocks). The only time that position comes into play is when you are about to top-out, or bottom out the shock, and run out of fluid reserve to work with, and you don't want to do that, anyway.

BJR likes this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ditto. The stroke is the whole deal. I've heard they should be mounted with 2/3 of the total travel remaining at static ride height (more for compression than in droop). But you need to know what the total travel of your suspension is before you can buy the right length shocks / fab mounts. The total travel of the shocks has to be more than the total travel of your suspension - or the shocks will just get destroyed - smashing closed on bumps or being over-drawn when the suspension droops. Personally, I like at least 6 in of total travel, and bump stops on the frame, too. Gary

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    BJR likes this.

5. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I've heard just the opposite, a little more drop than compression is best.

6. donno

donno

Well I'm "shocked".

BJR, Jalopy Joker and Texas Webb like this.
  7. BJR

BJR

I'm sure you will rebound from your shock and bounce right back to spring into action. Don't let this dampen your interest.

trollst likes this.
  8. Ghost28

Ghost28

All this slap stick humor is gonna give me a stroke. The thread is good to know info

BJR likes this.
  9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

People can only absorb a certain amount of this kind of stuff.

BJR likes this.