Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shipping parts question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Continental, Aug 8, 2012.

1. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Does anyone have an idea of about how much it should cost to ship a couple quarter panels from a '62 Imperial from Texas to Canada?

2. You're crossing an international border..... Not cheap!

3. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Why? What makes it more expensive?

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

one MILLION dollars...

5. wallyringo

wallyringo

UPS has a Canada ground service called Standard, what size packaging are you using?<O:p</O:p

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

never use UPS for cross border transactions, they have a brokers fee the buyer has to pay.

62 Imperial quarters gotta be huge. look into a freight company

7. I have no clue but it is what it is.

Ask a UPS or FedEx office.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you really gave no information needed to get an estimate. you pretty much asked "how long is a piece of string?"

just for shits and giggles I went to Con-Way and did a shipment from Dallas to Toronto, 72" X 36" x 25" @ 200 lbs. it will be over $1000.00.

I doubt it could be picked up or delivered to a house. probably an extra charge if they could. also an extra charge you use a liftgate if there is no fork lift available.

9. oldolds

oldolds

I was watching that Shipping Wars show the other night. They will do it just to lose more money! Yes, I know it's a set up show.

10. 2935ford

2935ford

Here's my 2 cents and my experience.

If shipped by anything other than USPS.....there are brokerage fees and if over $100 taxes to pay.

If possible ship to a border town and have buyer cross over and pick them up....could be lots of money saved. Lots of border town hardware stores etc. do this for a very small fee.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

more than likely too big for USPS. FED EX is cheaper anyways on big items.

12. Or "how much is it to build a hot rod?". I think we all have heard that.

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I shipped two '64 Mercury Marauder fenders, one to Oregon and one to Washington, by DHL. The cost to ship was right at $100 for each of them. But a front fender is much smaller and lighter than a quarter panel, so I would say the answer to your question is "a whole bunch!"

14. Or is reality TV real?!?! :rolleyes:

15. it would be cheaper to hire someone to just haul the complete car up there!

16. Wouldn't know. I havent watched a tv show in close to 6-7 years. I might watch a movie now and then ON my tv, but past that, its a dust collector.

17. Yea, I'm stuck watchin' educational crap on TV. It hasn't taught me much but the pictures are interesting. :D

18. I just don't get TV watching I guess. Why watch people live life on tv, when you can experience it yourself :confused:

19. nickleone

nickleone

Pasedena TX to Ontario CA. Residence to Residence about$650.
    Shipping alone.
    I am in the shipping business. It would take more detail to get a more accurate quote.
    Nick Leone
    Freight Colorado
    Pack & Ship North
    [email protected]
    720-566-0285

20. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

What we do here in Arizona is that we put the parts onto individual backpacks and hire "mules" to carry them across the border at night using several well-defined paths. We first send small shipments via that path, in case it is being monitored by the INS (It's Not Sheetmetal). If one of the mules gets caught, we only lost a small piece of sheetmetal. If he makes it thru, the next night we send the big fender. From there, we have a sheetmetal center in Tubac where we redistribute the shipments to their destination. Our motto is "what can Brown do for you?" Proven shipping, little risk.

21. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

You're in the shipping business, so you know that Ontario CA is not the Ontario that is in Canada, right?

22. DAYUMN :eek:

23. Is that a real T.V. program? Holy shit, I gotta get cable!:rolleyes:

24. Does Greyhound go to Canada? I've shipped on the dog many times. Cheap.

25. Canada is a big place. Is the buyer near the border? Much easier to ship to a US border city and have the buyer or someone pick them up.

There is no duty charged on used car parts, but the buyer will have to pay sales tax.

Quarter panels have dimensional weight, they're large and light (for their size), Greyhound is often best for that sort of thing. Greyhound does cross the border, not sure what's involved.

If you're not in a hurry you might try a HAMB Relay or talk to BenD.

26. nickleone

nickleone

In the shipping world the abreviation for CANADA is CA. I see it often and it takes me a min to remember that the shipment went to CANADA.
    I usually se it on FEDEX and UPS bills.

Nick

27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sold a fender for an O/T MG and shipped it Greyhound to Detroit. The buyer had to cross the boarder to pick it up but it was a lot less hassle than trying to figure out how to get it from US Greyhound to Canada Greyhound. Cost wasn't too bad and the buyer filled his car up in the US which at the time made $$ sense.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2. If someone insists on shipping to me by UPS, I usually pass on the whole deal.

29. twistedridez

twistedridez

Check out geryhound they have a shipping service in to canada.

30. oldolds

oldolds