Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shipping Nightmare

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flip, Dec 28, 2013.

1. flip

flip

Hoping someone might have some info. Situation - Contacted a shipper through "Uship" to deliver a 33 Ford Cab from south of Minneapolis to Mich. Shipper had 5 star rating and a top 100 shipper for last 5 yrs. Informed me after pickup, was having engine problems, then on Nov 21 said he was having new engine installed (have no idea where engine was being installed). Has not been in contact since. Tried contacting by email and phone. Have been in contact with Uship and authorities. Nothing. Cab is being hauled in 30 ft. black enclosed trailer/ white wheels and gray fenders. Truck is Ford extended cab, 4x4, Blue/tan or gray on bottom of doors, chrome wheels, chrome trim above wheel openings. Shipper lives in northern WI. Big area, MN, WI, Ill. If anyone has any info on this (good or bad) please reply or send PM. First hoping for information and secondly be very carefully (thought I was) when shipping. Thanks for any and all info.

2. greener200

greener200

that sucks any marks on the cab that would make it yours ?,have you reported it stolen ? ,got to be somthing you can do ,what a friggin nightmare

3. 5window

5window

Sorry you are having problems. Why hasn't U-ship been able to help? Don't you have the carrier's name,contact info,etc? maybe a tough lesson to learn. Was it insured? I'd contact the police-NOW- and I'd use a HAMB shipper in the future. I used Bill from Bill's Auto Works and was more than 110% pleased. Good luck.

4. flip

flip

Ya the cab has some id marks. I do have all of shipper's contact info. Have contacted police at point of pickup and where shipper resides. Shipper had over 900 positive reviews and 9 negative. I know this (Hamb) is a long shot but hoping maybe someone has stumbled across this or now may be on look out. And yes it does "suck" Thanks for your concerns.

5. I hope you get this resolved soon. HRP

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

hope you get some leads. that sucks

7. Shipping carriers is like rolling a dice, I've had some really good ones, and some really shitty ones. I hope this resolves for you.

Post the carriers DOT number here, easier to ID the transport rig if one of us happens to see it.

8. This is no help to you but I encourage Hambers to do business with the Hamb haulers listed in the Hamb O Dex,,they may be a few buck more but they will not let you down.

They all have loyal users and they always do what they say they will,,they have earned their great reputations. HRP

9. 1 Hotrod

1 Hotrod
    from Wisconsin

Try calling him on someone else's phone, maybe he is not answering your number. What's the name of the carrier?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

freightquote is a WAAAAAAY better place to go to get something shipped vs ushit

11. 5window

5window

See, I just don't get your post. It would seem the OP did a search before hand, used a well known company (Uship) and a shipper with over 900 ratings almost exclusively positive. So something BAD has happened.

The HAMBoDEX guys are great, but they could have tragic occurrences,too.

Frieghtquote may be great, but by using a silly name for USHIP, I, personally, count you as immature and therefore discount your opinion a great deal. JMTC.

OP, good luck.

12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Can you post the drivers name? Maybe his company name? Someone on here might know him.

13. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

judging a person over a oneliner is like judging a book by its cover....just dont

14. There is always the possibility the guy had a heart attack or something similar. Not everyone is out to screw you. Post his name and business name, maybe someone on here knows him and can help you out.

15. I had a similar experience once, but with a contractor. They came out, dug a hole, installed all the steel for a foundation and said they would pour the concrete in two days. Well, it rained for four straight days. No conctete poured. None expected with all the rain. A few days later I called the contractor, no answer. I called evey day for two weeks, still no answer. Finally a lady answers. I told her my problem. She said she was the daughter and he was dead. I nearly shit a brick. He had died of a heart attack right after getting my job ready to pour. I felt like shit for months.

16. ^^^^ This^^^^^^

What is Uship saying? Are they even replying to you?

17. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

If he had a ford diesel and had to have engine replaced that could take ALONG time. My brother in law works in concrete and his 2011 ford 550 blew apart (crank broke in half and came out the block). Truck had only 26k miles on it... This happened in august and just got the truck back about a week ago.
    If this happened to him he should have got another shipper to pick it up and bring it to you...

18. primerhotrod

primerhotrod
    BANNED
    from ILLINOIS

Was it Roy from uship?

19. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

One trick I learned when I had someone who would not answer my phone calls came from my son.

He said dial the star icon and then enter 69 along with the phone number and it worked on the very first try.

The jerk I was I had been calling who would not answer when he saw who was placing the call started talking and I finally got some answers.

Hope it works for you. Jimbo

20. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Roy has a Chevy dually, and a kitty cat. DD

21. You use *67. *69 tells you who called yor number if you dont have caller ID.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  22. Clarkw

Clarkw
    from Phoenix az

Passport or Reliable - more expensive but dependable!

23. kursplat

kursplat

i'd be hammering USHIP every 20min.

"you hired this guy. where's your driver and where's my shit!"

is USHIP bonded or insured?

good luck

24. Southern Motors

Southern Motors

I know it's after the fact, but I learned the hard way to get the truckers dot info and insurance info BEFORE you let them pick up anything. That way you have it just in case something happens.

I had a trucker wreck years ago outside Richmond, VA, finally got hold of the state police and all they could tell me was that ONLY one of the cars had caught on fire (oh great !). The guy who was receiving the cars is a great friend, but can be one mean SOB if you cross him, and he was able to track the guy down and make him pay for the cars, this guy had connections...

I use www.centraldispatch.com to ship my cars, you can check out the truckers ahead of time, and there have been several times where I have refused a trucker whose credentials seemed suspect.

Hope you get your truck parts, but remember these internet sites have no power over the truckers, it's up to you to check them out first.

25. Specifically ....

Did you list a shipment for bid on U-Ship and then take a bid
    from the carrier in question thru U-Ship ?

U-Ship is a Broker Board

They take a percentage of the load out of the haulers' pocket

That is who you should be taking this up with ......

Jim

26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:Subscribed.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Agreed. And I won't chime in with another better way to ship. With his Uship rating and history, it seems as though he'd be treating you better and at least communicating with you-even if his rig was down for repairs.

Any number of bad things could have happened to the guy be it self induced or just plain being the victim. Health, personal, money problems which could include his vehicle being repo'd, etc. He may have been barely keeping his head above water and once the rig failed and the loads stopped coming in he was broke with no means to even repair the truck.
    He could be deceased, incarcerated, hospitalized or just hung it all up.

Shit happens. Had a 15 yr. employee leave his service truck in our lot at end of shift one night and w/o a word to anyone was gone forever. Vanished. Went by his apt. Landlord said he hadn't been there in weeks. Some people work through their problems in unconventional ways.
    At this point, I agree with the suggestion of posting his info. Someone may know him or know how to get ahold of him.

28. Of course this may lead to 100 keyboard cowboys rambling on about taking a bat to him, blah, blah, blah. :rolleyes:

29. flip

flip

I certainly appreciate everyones support, concerns and suggestions. To address a few of those: Yes I have been in touch with U-ship (many times) and they have offered support. I have all of his contact info. and they have put his account on hold. In U-ships defense, they have no way to track the guy down. And yes U-ship is a broker, you give your shipping request and their carriers submit bids, you select the bid. I also am reluctant to throw the guys name out on the internet without knowing his intent. As I stated in the original post, I felt posting this was a long shot but knowing the huge network of the Hamb, I thought it may be worth a shot. Just maybe someone ran across this guy in their travels. I did provide a pretty good description of truck/trailer. I have sent emails offering to come and get cab and pay him his shipping fee. I do understand that maybe if his engine when bad he all of a sudden he decided to get out of this business. All hard to figure. He does have a partner/co-driver (a lady) which unless both had medical issues, one should have been able to contact me. I am certain U-ship has 100's of very good carriers, so I don't want to throw them under the bus. But it only takes a few bad ones to ruin your reputation. The carrier lives in northern WI, so if anyone in that area might want more info to try and help out, I would be more that willing to provide that and certainly appreciate it. Send me a PM. Finally, if you are getting something shipped, cross all your t's and dot all your i's as this very well could happen to someone else. I will update hopefully a positive outcome. Happy New Year to all, and again thanks for the support.

30. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Good on you for taking the high road with your approach. I'm hoping for a good outcome for everyone concerned.