Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shipping it out.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David68, Jan 27, 2020.

1. David68

David68

Well after searching and hours on the internets the block is packaged up and will be going Fed-Ex to the machine shop for some boring, honing, sleeves and a few other necessities. For a greaser I think I made a half decent crate. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Nice thinking outside the box...

Where's it going?

David68 likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you got it set up so they can pick it up with a hand truck easily? Or a fork lift if they push the forks in.
    I'd also do something for hand holds so two guys could pick it up by hand. From experience crates that are too hard to move around tend to get lost in a warehouse.

4. cool...keep us posted

David68 likes this.

5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

It's hard to see, but it does look like it's spaced up off the ground.

David68 likes this.
  6. David68

David68

Yeah it’s forklift high off the floor. Still one heavy mother though. No one is gonna move this around by hand unless they are seriously jacked up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  7. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

With a small pallet like that they WILL move it with 1 fork, nobody on a frt dock is going to use a 2 wheeler or move it by hand. I would run some 1/8 x 2 inch steel bolted between the runners to make a pocket for the fork, harder to tip it over.

David68 likes this.
  8. You'll see how well your carpentry skills are on the arrival stage .. after it goes thru the "gauntlet shipping of death".

Sometimes I feel like the shippers think :

"... so he thinks he can build an indestructible crate .. huh' ? Well, we'll see about that !"

Make sure you set proper replacement cost for insurance. Those f*ckin' f*cks !

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or "Forklift Football" as I call it.

oldsjoe and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep in mind the freight rate depends on how it is classified and packaged. The higher the weight density the lower the rate...I know it is counterintuitive, but that is the case. The smaller and heavier the package, the more the carrier can load on the truck if it is crated vs. palletized. I believe that you need to look at the density to cubic foot to classify it. There are tables online to help determine that but I shipped an assembled engine from Wyoming, Michigan to Central New Mexico for just over $100 because of the way it was crated and its density per cubic foot of the package. A commercial address to commercial address shipment saves $ too. The alternative to that is freight terminal to commercial address or versa visa
    Nice crate.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.