Register now to get rid of these ads!

shaving my handle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PBRmeASAP, Jan 29, 2004.

1. or shall i say door handles...
    planning on removing them, just wondering what kits work best, one's to stay away from? open to opinions...

2. Kits? I use wreckin yard parts.

3. it's 0 degrees out, junk yards are outta the question for me...call me a wimp, it's too frickin cold

4. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

This for your '54? I bought some $70 2dr kit off ebay. Solonoids included. It came with poppers, but I don't think the chevy needed them. I never got around to installing it, but I bought pretty heavy dudty solonoids. I measured the pull needed on my door latches at the best point I could find and it was near 25-28 lbs. The chevy door latches don't have much on them to help with leverage.

5. yah, for the 54, good handles and keyed locks are more than most kits, so off with the handles...
    btw, is the kit you got for the guy that always has them on ebay?

6. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I think his ebay name is hyperlighting or something. Looks like a decent kit, all wires, buttons, poppers, relays etc. Just not a name brand. I didn't get remotes though so I don't know what quality that part is.

7. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

just did it myself, actually, and will post a tech post on it this weekend. i figure, all told, i will have about 50 bucks in mine. CHOPOLDS was very kind to post this idea a while back, and refresh my memory of it. i bought a foot of 1" seamless tube (not a whole lot$$), two 1" freeze plugs ($.50 each), and got a pair of door lock solenoids for 15 bucks on ebay for a nissan sentra. you use the freeze plugs to make buttons, they slide in the tubes, engage the latch, and open the door. the solenoids will lock and unlock the doors from an outside-mounted key-operated switch from the tailgate of a 63-64 studebaker (ebay cost was about 15 bucks). the button works swell, and i really like how it turned out. if you want to see how i did it, stay tuned. i'm pretty stoked about it, first bitchin body mod i've ever done to a car!

8. Munson

Munson
    from Tempe, AZ

That sure will be a helpful post!

Sounds good!

j

9. fc ute

fc ute

looking forward to seeing that article on how you did it with the nbuttons chromedrat.
    we have just got a 50 chev sedan for my 16yo son and we want to take off the handles but have a flush button. is this what you did?

10. chuck fahr

chuck fahr
    from s.w. wis.

Jeff,did you hear about the blind lady who shaved her legs
    and rectum? Be careful out there.

All my Love,

11. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

i'll try to get it posted today sometime, shold have time. you can most likely make the buttons flush, there's room, i just liked the idea of a body detail surrounding the button is all.

12. can't wait for the tech post...
    and chucky...if ya need a place to stay on the 13, there is always room...but you'd have to share a bed