Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical shaken not stirred

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Ted,all three automotive supply houses here use paint shakers like that. HRP

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  2. indyjps

indyjps

I've only heard don't shake clear right before you use it, due to air bubbles.
    If you do shake it, give it time to settle.

Still doesn't make sense to me, after you reduce it and put it thru a gun, I dont see how an air bubble could make it thru the tip / atomization stage.

hipster, gas & guns and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I was told not to shake Cromax water based base coat with a air powered mixer,as it will not mix properly,only to give it a light shake and it will mix ok,is it possible that is what they were talking about?,here i mix cans of house paint for the neighbours all the time,never heard any thing bad from anyone?.Harvey

mike in tucson and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. Slopok

Slopok

Back before there was Rage and all those lite weight fillers we would put bondo cans on the paint shaker and made it much easier to spread.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  5. williebill

williebill

The old timers around here always called those paint can marbles Thunderballs.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  6. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

ONLY real Spar Varnish and as Lippy mentioned also Lettering enamels should NOT be shaken possibly because both are Alkyed resin based and shaking will introduce millions of tiny bubbles that will mess with the finish. The instructions state only to stir . As far as shaking automotive urethane and latex house paints NO PROBLEM. Automotive water base I have no clue if shaking is good or bad.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

You can shake automotive solvent based primers, base, single stage etc. If it's clear or transparent, there is no need to shake. Is the paint shaker a red devil brand?
    If it's cheap enough get it. House paint type shaker are a little different than automotive, but for what you are doing, they are great to have around. Just 1 gallon of high build primer that has been sitting around a while is worth having a paint shaker. A lot of mismatch colors are due to not enough agitation, so at least you know your color is completely mixed. Or if you buy and don't have use for it, I have jobbers that would love to purchase it from you.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hipster, indyjps and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. There is probably some really scientific reason not to shake it but I have seen I=t shaken in many an automotive paint store and I have some old lacquer that will get a good shaking before I try to use it.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. blackanblue

blackanblue

My hands shake enough by themselves that's why I leave the striping to the stripers.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. This little gizmo earns it keep.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Couple mins and the high build primer is well mixed. Gets everything off the bottom and sides.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. BJR

BJR

I would think that if you are spraying paint, any air bubbles that were in it would not make it through the spray head intact. If you were brushing it that's a whole different deal.

hipster and tb33anda3rd like this.
  12. yes i have one of those. but i think while the paint is in the shaker i can be, tack ragging, checking tape etc.....

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  13. ok so despite having Plenty O'toole s in the shop i am going to buy it.

williebill likes this.
  14. Yep, that's true.
    It will save you a couple mins on each spray.

I mentioned before, I've not witnessed a partial fill shaken, don't know how that works.

15. Can you Put sand in a gallon can with nuts and bolts ?
    Maybe polishing media ?

brad2v likes this.
  16. hmmm, interesting thought.
    the guy has a bunch of them and told me he would let me take one to see if it would work out for me. they have a protective cabinet with a door, so i guess if something happens with a can of sand/paint it wouldn't be flung all over the shop.

brad2v likes this.
  17. Pussy Galore always shakes it!;)
    [​IMG]

Stogy, hipster, Paint Guru and 2 others like this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ted, ask them if they have the fixture that allows you to shake quart cans as well. Bob

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. good idea!

20. williebill

williebill

best ones yet....... guess most HAMBers are show tune people.

chryslerfan55 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. these were good too.

hipster likes this.
  22. There IS a difference :)

Shaken

image.gif

Stirred
    image.gif

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

24. DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG
    looks good, shakes paint. has a "shake" counter with 8kplus uses on it. that doesn't sound like a lot to me. there are three settings, light medium and dark. which equate to one minute 25 second, two minutes, and "dark" is three minutes.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  25. That shaker looks like it came from nasa.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Window next month.........[​IMG]

27. Rusty Buckets

Rusty Buckets

Main reason is that air will give you spatter. This is not a huge deal but definitely shake or stir, then let sit for a bit. Strain. Pour and keep pressure medium to low if using a gun as high pressure can put on semi dry layers that will cause adhesion problems. Clear usually wets those but could end up lifting in a few years. That's what I found from experience

28. Rusty Buckets

Rusty Buckets

And to varnish yes it will. I built a Chris craft in 08 and if you brush varnish with air it bubbles when they rise to the top. If you spray it's less of a risk.

29. more like Q-branch

hah, the cabinet has a big dent in and some paint splatter on the inside. it looks like something came loose and got caught between the rotor assembly and the case.

williebill likes this.
  30. well actually this is not a shaker, it actually stirs the paint. the can is spinning and at the same time being flipped, so the paint is actually "rolling".