Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shaft rubbing is BAD......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Blurr, May 18, 2009.

1. The Blurr

The Blurr

I have a 1960 Chevy wagon. It is lowered but not a whole lot. The drive shaft rubs when I hit a bump or even if I haul something lite in the back like camping stuff. Is this just the nature of the beast or do I need to cut out the tunnel make it deeper or I heard somewhere I need to shorten my drive line? Any sugguestions???????:confused:

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

What you needed was NEW Springs to begin with. You're riding around on cut old worn out springs, that's why you're dragging the shaft with almost no load.
    Buy new springs all around and then lower the car.

3. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Yup new springs, she shouldn't be rubbing or bottoming out with light stuff. Mine doesn't hit with a bunch of crap in the back.

4. InPrimer

InPrimer

Kinda O/T but while you're under there ,check out the universals not sure but believe its a 2 piece driveshaft only takes a minute to inspect it, saves trouble down the road...

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

How low is it? When you start getting into a 3" or more lowering of the rear, driveshaft contact is likely. Usually involves cutting out and recreating the driveshaft tunnel, common practice on lowered cars.

6. Have you checked out the carrier bearing? Reason being, you should be able to drop that car on the bump-stops and not have any drive shaft problems. Maybe the rubber around the bearing is bad??

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, that is a common occourance with lowered cars. unless you want to put some helper bags or stronger springs to reduce the drop when you load it You will most likely end up redoing at least the back end of the tunnel.

8. ocfab

ocfab

I bagged both my dads 59 and 61 wagons. The 61’s drive shaft cleared with no problem the 59 two door wagon we moved the tunnel up 2” With the cars being so low we went to a slip tube drive shaft like a 4x4 style drive shaft and that solved all the problems with the carrier barring

9. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

My '62 which is the same basic chassis/frame and the ride height (air springs) is 1.5" off the cut down bump stops. When the rear end does hit the bump stops the drive shaft never hits the floor. Check your bump stops are they crushed or worn out?

Marty McF.

10. The Blurr

The Blurr

It is probably about 3" lowered. I have lowered cars in the past and not had them rub like this. But redoing the tunnel might be the way to go. After I change the springs.

11. The Blurr

The Blurr

As you can see it is not that low. I bought it lowered like this I did not do any of the work. I was wondering maybe they just heated the springs and maybe that is why they are worn out and spongy

Attached Files:

12. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 61 is lowered 3" in the rear, with 225/75 15s all around, no rubbing at all. It will bounce on the bumpstops once in a while but otherwise it drives like a dream.

Attached Files:

13. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

What the heck do you mean "not that low"?!?!?! The back of that car is slammed, if it's not on the bumpstops, it's cause they're missing.

14. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Its been said allready. I would also move the tunnell up under the back seat. Have a driveshaft made with a 4wd (Front chevy blazer) slip shaft in the rear portion of the drive shaft and I slide the carrier bearing mounting back to the rear most holes in the frame. also had to move the factory brake line on it.
    Used to air bag allot of x frame cars. Loved it, lots of room.

15. ocfab

ocfab

not that LOW ! that thing is dropped 6" + in the rear

16. The Blurr

The Blurr

Really?!?! I am thinking 3...Also pic is proably a funny angle.

17. skunx1964

skunx1964

lot more than 3, really

18. The Blurr

The Blurr

Maybe it would help if I told you fellas where it is rubbing....:eek: It is rubbing towards the rear end about a foot in front of the U-joint. I do not know if this info makes any differance just trying to be specific...

19. The Blurr

The Blurr

Hmmm.....Well I guess you guys are right. So I will have to raise the tunnel.

20. skunx1964

skunx1964

i wasnt tryin to be a dick, but ive seen my 58 sittin next to a stock sprung 58 and mines about 2 or 3 lower. and i havent done anything, its just saggy old springs. a local here has a 60 with bags and his dont rub that i know of, and i dont think hes done anything to the tunnel:confused:. got any pics from underneath?

21. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

You couldnt have come up with a better title for this, shaft rubbing Hahahaha:D.
    That car is at least 8" lower than stock. Stock is like 12". Im guessing its at 4" ride hight. Watch the brake lines on the rear end housing as they go over the top of the axle and will hit,pinch the line making the rear brakes drag after using them or worse.

22. The Blurr

The Blurr

I did not think you were being a dick...I did not mean to sound like a smart ass:eek:. And I thank you for your help REALLY!!!:D:D