Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shade tree Model A speedster kind of thing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rwrj, Nov 21, 2017.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My thoughts also. I didnt care for the tail at all but it really fits. Also dig the tail light placement. As for the bee stinger may bee(pun intended) a yellow and black paint scheme should bee in the works?!

2. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I originally intended to have the tank running crosswise, but I felt like there was too much frame left behind it. The cars that look best to me bob-tailed have the tank over the cross-member. This whole thing has kind of evolved from a bare frame, there never was a real set plan. Appreciate all of the support and comments along the way.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  3. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Thank you. As far as those buckles, I
    think they must have been some kind of wagon tack. The belts they were on were almost 5 feet long. They have the right vibe for me, though.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  4. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Collar and hames for Horse and buggy. Just a Guess!

5. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Didn't make a lot of progress this morning. Had to meet a fellow about a used outboard, but I got up early and wired my brake light switch up before I left, and it works. I only have the one picture. It's the early style switch, which is appropriate, since my engine and frame are from early 1928. I had to drill a couple of holes, but that's no big deal to me. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how the thing was mounted originally, and for once the internet let me down, so I just bent the mounting tangs 90 degrees and stuck it up inside the channel of the frame. Had to fiddle with it a bit to make it miss the e-brake stuff. That thin little crooked wire going from the spring through the cross-member to the pedal is temporary, a pattern for the permanent one, but I didn't feel like crawling under there to take another picture. The front of the car is to the right in the picture. Like I said, it works. Closer to done all the time. (Famous last words...)

IMG_20180331_142110619.jpg

6. What a great thread!!
    Love how it has come together for you...... and us!
    Well done!!

7. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Thank you all for the compliments. I didn't get a chance to post this last night. That bee-stinger tail has made it a pain to get to my fuel cut-off, so I cut an access hole and made a little cover for it. Nothing all that special, but it was fiddly and time-consuming. Satisfying, though. In a marine environment an aluminum plate attached to a bronze strap with copper rivets would be a recipe for electrolysis, but on this rig, it should be fine. I thought of printing "fuel" or some such on it, but I figured the rigamarole associated with starting this thing makes up for not having a keyed ignition, and there was no reason to make it easier for anybody with nefarious intentions.

IMG_20180402_101253093.jpg IMG_20180402_101759477.jpg IMG_20180402_102442780.jpg IMG_20180402_113630983.jpg IMG_20180402_113700412.jpg IMG_20180402_114842889_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  8. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very impressive work. There is so much talent in this community that I appreciate and some downright incredible builds. What really impresses me about your build is that it seems very do-able to the average guy and appears very affordable and fun. Your design touches show that a cool ride can be made for little $. I bet a lot of us have already taken inventory of stuff we have laying around to build something similar, I know I have, heck I might have enough to build two! Thanks for sharing bro!

Jim Lato, brEad and 55Deso like this.
  9. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Thank you. I put another little video on Youtube. Just because...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Dannerr, 55Deso, dwollam and 5 others like this.
  10. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Very cool!! It fits the Build..

11. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool cover!...love this build!
    ....Should've been facing backwards so clasp doesn't blow open AT SPEED!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Hahahahaaa. I think I'm safe there. If I contort myself a little, I can operate the door and the shut-off from the drivers seat now, which is good, because I forget it a lot.

Jet96 likes this.
  13. 5280A2

5280A2

Stoplight switch for '28-9 originally bolted to the top of the transmission with bolts that hold shift tower to transmission case. The switch connects to a special pin used on the brake pedal arm via a heavy wire link that connects to the switch with a loop on one end and the brake pedal pin with a hook on the opposite end. The link is the correct length to keep a slight amount of spring tension on the arrangement so that the hook end stays connected to the pin, All the parts are readily available from any of the Model A vendors.

14. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

That makes sense. I found and used the link on the pedal, but I have the switch on the frame. It's a copy of the set up some of the Model T guys came up with. It's working, so...

15. cederholm

cederholm

This thread keeps getting better! Love what you're doing!
    ~ Carl

16. Damn, a month of good working weather and I miss a ton! Looks good man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

17. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Well, I might have to take back all of the things I have said about WallyWorld. I found some dining chair cushions there for $8 each, bought four. They are made from the finest hide of the elusive vinyl pig. Seriously, though, they do look a lot like leather. They have the recesses like the old button upholstery, but no buttons. I melted holes through them with a little piece of copper tubing (well, I drilled the first hole and accidentally turned my bit into an industrial strength Q-tip), then screwed them down with bronze oval head screws and brass escutcheons. I even clocked the slots on the screw heads. Aint I fancy? I'll be honest, I'm tickled pink. I bought them as a temporary solution, but they will probably stay for quite awhile.

IMG_20180410_114953655.jpg IMG_20180410_115003061.jpg IMG_20180410_115849719.jpg IMG_20180410_120444161.jpg IMG_20180410_120450258.jpg

18. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! Looks like fine Corintian leather to me! Nice work.

19. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Made another little video. All my kids are off at school, nobody to film my little drives, but oh well.

Dannerr, catdad49, brEad and 9 others like this.
  20. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Wow those seats look custom made, and for $16, can't beat that!

21. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Thank you guys, but it was $32. Still, though...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just add some leaves and little twigs...;)...ready to barnstorm the backroads...another well suited addition.

23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

love it, and that shift knob is a hoot

Silva, ratrodrodder and cactus1 like this.
  24. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Looks great! Love the setting for the walk around.:cool:

25. Seat cushions look great, and I'm sure they add to the comfort level also! :)
    Very creative mounting solution.

26. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

It is a good bit more comfortable. I made a little ride-along video. My phone mount is pretty bouncy, but that's because it's just a cheap selfie doohickey zip-tied to a random assortment of sticks c-clamped to the car. To tell you the truth, it's a pretty accurate portrayal of the actual driving experience. This thing is pretty primitive. I like it, though. Here's a picture of the mount, and also the video.

IMG_20180414_082633390.jpg

27. NWRacing

NWRacing

That road looks familiar, are you near Metcalfe?

28. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

That video was from a run of about 20 minutes. It was blowing steam out of the radiator cap when I got back. Shined down in the top tank with my little light and could see several of the passages plugged with rust and trash. I took the radiator off and back-flushed it. Just turned it upside down and put the water hose in the bottom, plugged it up with some of that 1/2" foam weatherstripping tape, and ran it for half an hour or so. It looked much better after that. I also re-adjusted my timing, which was retarded a bit. I should have done those two things seperately, with test runs in between, so I could see which was the main culprit, but I think they probably both contributed.

IMG_20180414_120813539 (1).jpg

NW, you have a good eye. That's the Springhill Road, cuts off East from 319 just south of Thomasville, eventually runs into the road from Beachton to Metcalf.

Dannerr, catdad49, 55Deso and 2 others like this.
  29. NWRacing

NWRacing

I was pretty sure that was it, my gunsmith is right down the road from there.

30. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Cool, cool, cool! Love what your doin'