Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sex with an English wheel. Touring update.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Well, the guys in the chat have heard my plans about making a new rear panel for the touring. My original one was HAMMERED! I got as far tonight as pulling out a sheet of 19 Guage to build a new panel. You see, I am bobbing the back of the 27 touring body to look more like the rear of a 32 Seadan.adding a body line and all, something Model A and T tourings dont have.

Jason, the new guy at the shop joked about rolling the rough panel out in the English wheel.......so what did I have to lose?............so I pounded out the big dents and we tag teamed it on the wheel(not the sex part!) Holy shnikeees! It was getting smoooove! And the coumpound curve was coming back to life.

So we got so far and I jumped the gun (again, not the sex part). We set up the 32 Ford Beltline dies in the bead roller and after about 10 inches of practice rolling(really no sex yet) on some scrap we went to town!

In the pic you can see the new bead roll as well as the profile I put back into the panel. The piece below is the bobbed off part of the lower panel edge, you can see the rot and how rough the whole panel was when I started. I am not exaggerating on that profile, that panel was THAT hammered!!!!! I feel good about my first real repair on the English wheel. I will have to say that working shit on the English wheel is as good as sex [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. funny- I never figgerd ya for the mechanical masturbation type [​IMG]......

3. You could make me one too!!! I need one too!!!

4. SimonSez

SimonSez

English wheels are good fun!

One of the projects they taught us when I did a restoration panel course was to build a scaled down rear quarter (similar to a '34 Ford sedan).

The tightest part of the curve was done on an old tree stump with a big ball-peen hammer. You basically just bash the shit out of it to get lots of shape into it. You then do a few passes through the English wheel and it comes out as smooth as. Repeat as necessary [​IMG]

5. Cool Simon, you are right. My pic is shitty, the top edge of the panel looks bad due to some of the background and the resolution. It really did come to life like you say.

6. [ QUOTE ]
    funny- I never figgerd ya for the mechanical masturbation type [​IMG]......

[/ QUOTE ]
    That would be metal masturbation!

7. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I will have to say that working shit on the English wheel is as good as sex

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="green"> Errrrrr...

You must be doing something wrong.
    In the sex department that is... that panel looks great!!
    </font>

8. I was in awe of the transformation myself Rashy. This is the first real project I have done on the wheel. I learned enough to tackle that divider panel.