Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods setting up straight axle angle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henry's57bbwagon, Sep 28, 2015.

1. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I have read a bit about setting up the axle angle at about 7-8* and need to know if the angle is set when the frame is level or do you set it once the final height( front up angle) is reached? Thanks and good day.

2. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Are you talking about caster, kingpin tilt? If so it needs to be the angle you want ready to go down the road. It is in relationship to the road ,not the rest of the car. Added weight will change it slightly. I just get it close when building and then when I'm all ready to hit the road I adjust the length of the shackle
    or install some wedge blocks between to springs and the pads. I personally think 7 or 8 degrees is to much but everyone has their own ideas. Good Luck.

3. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Yes thanks, caster, kingpin tilt, brain dead at that moment? Will do more research on angle.

4. 7 degrees kingpin inclination is the number I remember. I used new bones and adjustable perches when mounting front axle assembly to frame. Degrees worked perfectly. tim

5. It's set at ride height.
    All weight in,
    all rake established.
    If you're building it, some math works it out close enough the adjust at the final.

7* comes from the average of the ford spec iirc ford says its supposed to be between 4* and 10* which the mid point is 7. Somehow 7 became law.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Terminology Police here...at your service. :confused:

King Pin Inclination is the angle of the king pin (or center line through the ball joints) when viewed from the front

Caster Angle is the angle of the king pin (or center line through the ball joints) when viewed from the side.

Yeah, it's a slow night ..........:D

Ray

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  7. That might make a difference.

8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

10 degrees was too much on my '33 Willys coupe and gave me an occasional hi-speed shimmy. I backed it down to 7 degrees and added a Fiero steering damper (which I recommend) and it works well now.

9. I generally set mine at 7 degrees. HRP

10. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

"King Pin Inclination is the angle of the king pin (or center line through the ball joints) when viewed from the front"
    This was set when I bought the kit.
    Thanks all. Still in mockup stage. Will be putting the HJ away soon to do winter maintenance on the 57.

11. Without the proper terminology, we wouldn't be able to discuss much.

12. I like to set my castor (axle angle) @ ride height.