Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Setting up my model a frame.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nick_c, Feb 16, 2013.

1. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

So I bought this frame last year. My build plans have changed somewhat. Luckily I didn't have much done to it when I changed my mind. So I'm wanting to build a lakes style roadster truck without a bed. I'm planning on shortening the wheel base on the frame so the back wheels over lap the cab and have a model a rear crossmember. So here are some pics of my frame. It currently set on my home made frame table I built and leveled up. I'd like to get some input from you folks on how I should change this 40" style to the model a rear crossmember. ImageUploadedByTJJ1361042238.433025.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1361042288.970304.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1361042315.169102.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Chemin

Chemin

Can't offer too much advice except measure twice and cut once. There's a dry lakes era thread on here somewhere. I would also suggest looking at pictures and find one that matches your vision then study it more in depth to see how it was built and the other details of it.

3. the flatlander

the flatlander

nick, just b sure to put the A xmember into your frame where it will locate your axle housing in the center of your wheelwell. Most use the spring mounts that put the A spring on top of the housing (easier), but really set the frame high. Other choice is to mount A spring on bkts (check out Pete & Jakes) behind the housing so it all sits lower. That way you could even raise xmember to make frame lower. Remember to check clearance between housing & bottom of frame, might want to C notch/etc. Or, make your own rear xmember...harder. g. luck. jat