Register now to get rid of these ads!

setting up dual leaf spring front end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RatBone, Dec 23, 2006.

1. RatBone

RatBone

Im putting a 51 chevy truck front end under my Hupmobile and am mocking up for spring under axle. It looks like it might work. There is no weight on it yet and there is 4 inches to the frame. It will run a 327 and 3 speed. I'll grind off the mounting boss on top of the axle and weld a mounting plate on the bottom. Ill leave all the springs in at first and see what the ride is like and make sure its not hitting. If I have to Ill notch the Hupp frame but I hope I dont have to. What you think?

[​IMG]
    I put the axle on the pin to take the place of 1/4 inch plate mount.
    The steering arm does clear the frame , just looks funny in pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

It seems that a dropped axel installed correctly would be a better solution.

3. RatBone

RatBone

I thought of that also, Im trying to use what I have!

4. I'm running pretty much the setup you described in my 31 Pontiac. Works great for me. Don't forget to drill the the new mount for the locating bolt. I had to re-arch my springs a bit due to the weight of the hemi.

Attached Files:

5. 33 Dodge

33 Dodge

Im doing something similar. Im building a 33 dodge pickup, and will have dual leafs front and rear. Im using the front half of a 25 dodge touring, then from the firewall back will be scratch built. Im using a stock Dodge axle up front. I have a shit load of variables to work out, like removing springs, or having springs made. I was thinking of putting the axle on top of the springs, but that just doesnt have the "pickup" look that I want. Im putting a 354 hemi in the truck, so I will have a weight issue. If you arent set on the forged axle look, I say go for a aftermarket tube that has a bunch of drop in it. I live close to Moore Drop axle, and recently asked the guy what I would cost to add about 2 inches of drop to the axle I have. 650 bucks !! I about shit my pants. They try to screw you on droping any axles that arent Ford.

6. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

7. tjm73

tjm73

A lot of early race cars ran this type of setup. I like the idea. I can't offer any tech support or opinion....just thought I'd throw a litte support your way for an idea I'm into. :D

8. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

I personally think it looks sweet.

An odd-rod needs to have unique parts - looks like you're right on target man.

I have often pondered the parallel leaf thing too.

Keep at it man looks good.

9. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I'm thinking the chevy axel is cast not forged.Could have something to do with the price for modification.Check out the drop axel and spring service post on the hamb odex

10. My front end is a 32 Chevy pickup. In fact the front half of the frame is 32 Chevy pickup and the back half is Pontiac. Anyway, my axle is forged.

11. Although the axle is kind of dark in this shot, it still gives you a good idea of where it puts the frame. And my scrub line is fine with 14" wheels.

I did have to completely rework the front crossmember but it's way stronger now so it's all good.

Attached Files:

12. RatBone

RatBone

thanks Kerry that looks great, and thanks guys for the feedback, Im slowly getting things lined up, got a 48 Ford steering column and wheel and a corvair steering box. A 1918 Nash dash. Its got a modified T tub I sit in and a model A bed. I also scored a set of T bows Ill modify for a soft top.

13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ALL Chevy straight axles are FORGED, not cast.

I had my original '46 Chevy 1/2T axles' dropped 3" by HAMBer 'loudpedal' at the HAMBer price plus shipping. He media-blasted it and magnafluxed it. Only thing I didn't take into account was that the axle would wind up narrower after dropping it. Since I will be running fenders and the wheels were in too far), I went to MAS and had them make up a dropped tube axle (7" overall drop, 3" drop from stock) with the length I wanted, king pin inclination, etc. Price was about $275, including shipping. Got the axle in less than 3-weeks and the dimensions were perfect. Scrub line was great, life is good.