Register now to get rid of these ads!

Service Bulletin for Ford serial stamp change - need scanned copy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michigander, Dec 6, 2013.

1. I would like to get a PDF copy of the section from the 1931 service bulletin that changed the serial stamp fonts. The change in look of the 1,6 and 9 in particular. The later 1937 and 1940 bulletins repeating this change would be welcome too. Thanks.

Steve

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Check out a company called Restostamps, they have both the early and late stamp sets including the star,1,6 and 9. They might have the literature you are looking for.

3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

the "9" doesn't look correct to me

4. Someone should at least have the hardcover compilation that's been out for decades; the "Ford V8 Service Bulletin" book. Feb. 1931 or maybe April 1938 are issues I've seen referenced.

Steve

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

nochop, remember that there were actually three nines used. The first is a "rounded" 9, second is the 9 with a straight tail and the third has a "pointed" top. The last wasn't used everywhere, only some of the manufacturing plants.

6. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Would love to see some data on this, someone should do a tech article.

7. I'm looking for the Ford issued document that tells the authorities that when they see a capital letter "I" stamped that it means a numeral "1", as they will see when they look at the vehicle's title.

Steve

8. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I looked on Google and Van Pelt Sales has the info, sorry I do not know how to post a link.

9. Though good info, the Van Pelt page is a summary of the Ford info, and not entirely accurate. Their webpage makes you think the bulletin first appeared in 1938, not mentioning was first issued in 1931. I'm looking for the actual Ford bulletin, not Van Pelts take on it.

Looks like I will just have to go to the Ford archives (at The Henry Ford museum) and get the original bulletin copied.

Steve