Register now to get rid of these ads!

Separated from wife and selling my car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombypook, Mar 15, 2004.

1. kustombypook

kustombypook

I have been separated from my wife since early November. I am trying to get back on my feet and work things out with the wife and the 1956 Chevy wagon has been on the back burner for a while. I think its time to sell it and focus on whats important right now. [​IMG] There is a full write up on it in the classifieds, but I wanted to post it here to get more traffic. I am probably asking about $2500. I don't know, I never thought I would sell.

2. ray

ray
    from colorado

well, somebodys gotta give the lurkers some play...

is the car the problem in the relationship? if it is, then you either gotta forget the relationship and find someone who can deal with your lifestyle, or else just deal with the fact that you are some wanker that isn't really into cars. they are making more women everyday, they ain't makin no more old cars.

3. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK!!! NO ! DON'T DO IT MAN! DO NOT SELL YOUR CAR! [​IMG] You will seriously regret a decision like that... Marriage is important , very important, but so is your soul...(wow that sounded like a half wit self help thing to say....) No disrespect or anything, but if you're getting the "it's me or that car , one of us has to go" blackmale crap.....man, that shit is just not fair...at all... and I seriously hope nothing like that has come up. If it has , well, maybe she's not the one for you .
    You need to be who you are man. You got into this for a reason right? Well then be true to yourself first. Old cars are so wonderful ...so much character ..so much great American history..and offer plenty of SAFETY! Remind her that... them sumbitch's are built like tanks and a 56 Chev wagon would be a PERFECT family car! Better than anything built today! Easy to work on, easy to find parts for ....comeon think about it. You don't REALLY want to get rid of that car. That's not the answer.
    If she can't handle you for who you are, or the old classic Chev is suddenly "a problem", then you aren't the one with the problem....I've been down a somewhat similar path (not quite marriage), and there was too much of my soul that slowly burned away because of a girl who was refined in good ol fashion manipulation. ........You need to really think this through. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Somebody here has a tagline: "Keep the car, sell the chick."

Sage advice. Find one who's interested in making YOU happy.

5. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

[ QUOTE ]
    Somebody here has a tagline: "Keep the car, sell the chick."

Sage advice. Find one who's interested in making YOU happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

YEP!

6. DrJ

DrJ

I'll tell ya what...
    I'll give ya a dollar for it, but only if you put it away in secret storage for me till I want it out.
    I'll want it out when you want to give me two dollars to buy it back from me.
    That'll be when you find out selling the car doesn't help a damn bit in the relationship department.... [​IMG]

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

I only ever sold one car to pacify a woman.
    I bought it back 5 years after I sold it.
    That was also 4 1/2 years after she left me anyway...
    Now I sold it again ( after the situation was corrected, it did not matter that much anymore )
    OK, so I am a cynic...

8. LIMEY

LIMEY

Was married 15yrs ago & after a period of her coming in at the early hrs of the morning & yrs of abuse about my gearhead addiction, i finally woke up & left taking only one thing.....my Buick.
    Never looked back, always had my cars/bikes & some naughty girls along the way too [​IMG]
    Been with the same girl for 11yrs now & she loves it....half the house is full of car parts & she never complains........take the route your heart tells you & things will work out.

9. Missing Link

Missing Link

You need to make yourself happy and if you believe that selling your car will make you happy than go for it. Personally, I think you will end up regretting the sale.

10. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ´ve always wondered if anyone had the same experience as me. Now I know... Give her away, not the car.You´ll regret selling the car and it definitely won´t solve anything. I´ve been through it.

11. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

if you were being irresponsible with the car ie; spending money on the car that you don't have when you need to put food on the table for the kids, i could understand. its all about priorities when you're married.
    But I would never make my husband sell his cars. I personally would NEVER want the responsibility of that action. I don't like having things held over my head for years to come.

12. CrazyDaddy

CrazyDaddy
    from Austin TX

kustombypook, I'm with you. Your relationship with your wife is far more important than a car. If you need to sell your car in order for you to focus, do it. If your wife is telling you to sell the car, that's another matter, and CherryBlossom nailed it.

13. kustombypook

kustombypook

My wife has never said its me or the car. She loves the car too, but we need to get back on our feet and the car is kinda in the way now. Don't worry, when we get our lives straighted out I will get another car.

14. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Aaahhh, throw the ungrateful broad out on her ass...

One of my good freinds is a pushover, too nice of a guy. broad rushed him into getting married, quit taking her pill so she could get knocked up and not work, now that they got a little boy, she goofs off and he busts his ass makin a pretty respectable amount of money WHILE going to school, thats still not good enough for her, she constantly bitches at him sayin he's a loser and threatens to leave him.

Sheeeyut, I told him I'LL start smackin' some sense into her if he doesnt start soon...

15. RawDeal

RawDeal
    from Austria

good luck, my wife & son just left this weekend...
    it is all about priorities, and you know what's best for you!

16. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

Im by far no life expert. I am a 21 yr old punk. But I do have a story to relate. this may be way off topic...but hey..i need to vent too

I was with my highschool sweetheart for 5 years until a few months ago. I have a bad motorcycle addiction too:) haha.

in any case...I always put my priorities first. my family, girlfriend.

She had some really rough times with her parents.. I have a pretty good job and make goodmoney. so I sucked it up and moved out at 19 so she would have a place to stay....I bought her a car so she can scoot around to work. I personally dumped 20k into college for her so she wouldnt become a loser..and make something of herself. I also got her a really good job making double what anyone her/our age would be making. THEN i put a downpayment on a new car for her as the old one i bought had seen better days. Asside from paying all the rent, bills, etc. etc. etc. I was also there for just about everything else.

Now...im not really afraid to say i make decent money for my age. I am in the information security field for a f500 company. SO..i like to spend money on motorcycles (i have 3, a 65 panhead, a 2002 custom, and a new 106" panhead)

well....
    needless to say she wasnt into it...and always bitched about it, etc. etc. now..i know its not all about money but its there and you have to recognize it. So when she got on her feet, making money, id ask for a hundred bucks here and there (which i was actually not spending, just stashing away for a house) and it was like..the biggest deal..

the girl was making 45k a year..and wasnt giving me squat to help out after i just blew 20k on school for her im still paying off so she can get that job.

so when we first moved into our 1 bedroom, i got a dog becuase, a. i never had one..and b. she always wanted one.

well..lemme tell you, big responsibility, and royal pain in the ass...but it was fine..i love him to death.

So..one day...i come home..and there is another dog in the apartment....for 2 weeks straight i didnt sleep/couldnt eat in the kitchen, had to eat in the bathroom, and couldnt watch TV....so finally i asked..hey..can we find a better home for this dog? you really should have asked before you brought it into my apt.

got to a point where i was missing work because of this dog. so after a few weeks i said..im coming home today...the dog wont be here...if you are or not..thats your decision.

I came home..and everything down to my nail clippers was gone.

she said, well i never stopped you from buying motorcycle parts, and left me ove ra 1lb toy chihuahua. AND took my other dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND owes me at least 2k

ill nevere see that money, or her again. i relize now..everytime she willingly let me go to a car show or bike event....she was with other people.....as well as giving all her money to her mother.

im 21..and young...but that is a true story...

now..im happier than a clam!!!

moral of my story. dont let anyone try to blame a relationship on a car/bike/anything...because im sure it runs much deeper than that.

to think i was going to sell all my bikes, buy a house and get married...

all i can say is thank god!

i take every piece of advice my father gives me.

to give you an overview...this is what my weekend consisted of.....

and no she doesnt work for hooters...shes a school teacher [​IMG]

bottom line..how you going to pick up a neww chick when you find out selling your car might not fix the problem??

here is a link to go along with my weekend story...youll appreciate it.
    http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=13357&messageid=1079108665

[​IMG]

17. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

NOOO, pook, how can the car be in between you, unless you're both livin in a one car garage????

Tell her that the car keeps you at home and relatively sober, as opposed to being out an drunk at hooters or wherever... the seedy lookin strip clubs on San Fernando or something... buy her some nice present with your parts money for the next two months just to gether to shut up, buy you some time to brainwash... er, convince her of the merits of your hobby.

Make shit up, be creative... if you have to keep the girl, then you have to keep the car, too!

I felt pretty bad when my very hot, yet psychologically unstable ex-girlfreind dumped me for a rocket scientist named Mohammed, but I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GLAD AND GRATEFUL today!!!

whatever you do, the best of luck, hang in there,
    J

18. caddyman65

caddyman65

most couples i know split up due to money problems,,got ANYTHING else to sell?I would try to hold on to the car but...theres more of them out there

19. repoguy

repoguy

I don't see anything in the classifieds.

Could you provide a link or something?

Pics? details?

20. derelict

derelict

I've been through three wives and I've still got the RPU I got in 1959. Never will give it up. It's mine, not theirs.

21. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

[ QUOTE ]
    My wife has never said its me or the car. She loves the car too, but we need to get back on our feet and the car is kinda in the way now. Don't worry, when we get our lives straighted out I will get another car.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the responsible thing to do. Having priorities sucks, but ya gotta do whats gonna make it better in the long run. Cars will come and cars will go.

22. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I must be the luckiest guy out there,Three times I've had to sell all my toys and my tools to bail us out .As soon as we get going good again she tells me to start looking for another project and were full bore ahead.
    I sold a drag roadster and enclosed trailer so she could go back to school,Two years of driving a shuttle airport bus nights and weekends along with the reg. job all week.She now makes twice what I do and deposits it in our joint account every payday. It don't get better than that
    All she asks is I shave and gussy up when we meet her co-workers.

23. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Sometimes you just have to do, what ya gotta do. Just amke sure the motives are true to your heart.

From experience though I say this, examine really close the differences between you and your wife, because there just may be no fix no matter how much you want to be. And usually monetary problems are just an symptom of a larger problem.....

24. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

[ QUOTE ]
    I must be the luckiest guy out there,Three times I've had to sell all my toys and my tools to bail us out .As soon as we get going good again she tells me to start looking for another project and were full bore ahead.
    I sold a drag roadster and enclosed trailer so she could go back to school,Two years of driving a shuttle airport bus nights and weekends along with the reg. job all week.She now makes twice what I do and deposits it in our joint account every payday. It don't get better than that
    All she asks is I shave and gussy up when we meet her co-workers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
    Kustombuilder would do the same thing. He knows I would never forbid him from having another car. He has sold cars before to help with money. Although I have stopped him (or so I think) from buying MORE pieces of crap....we have 4 project cars now (had up to 9 at once) but that's because the bills have to TRY and get paid....so buying MORE stuff isn't really feasible - it's not me being a bitch, it's being practical. But I couldn't imagine telling him its me or the cars.

25. Caffien
    That was sure more info than I needed.

Kustombypook

Sell if ya gotta. Its your life.
    I guess I'm a little jaded, but experience tells me that the sell the car to make the lady happy never works.
    What do ya gotta change next? Trust me it will never ever stop.
    If your just doin' it for cash that's a different story.
    But you do what ya gotta do friend.
    Guess I didn't see the wagon on in the class ads.
    Can I assume that trades are out of the question?

26. JamesG

JamesG

Hope theres no kids involved. Yea man, find you a women that has the same interest's as you. Alot of women hate old cars, piss on them!

27. InPrimer

InPrimer

Im sure you heard it before... If it's got tits or wheels its going to give you trouble

28. kustombypook

kustombypook

Thanks for everyones support and opinions. I am not selling the car to make my wife happy. Neither of us are really happy about it. Until we get back together, if we get back together, I don't have a place to keep it or work on it. It needs a lot of time right now. We have a lot of bills that I have neglected to take care of and a house that I never did any thing to. I love the car but I never had my prioreties straight. There is too much to do to get my life back on track and the car is in MY way right now. I am just not into it right now. I am trying to get everything else worked out.