Register now to get rid of these ads!

semi stupid question re: puke tank (overflow tank)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fredb, Jul 10, 2010.

1. I've always mounted the overflow tank in front of the radiator (just because that's how I've always done it)...With a limited square inch area of grill, I am having cooling issues...is there a reason the puke tank can't be mounted behind the radiator?

2. arent they usualy mounted on the side?? why would it be in front?

3. Nope, it doesn't matter. Most factory tanks are located in the engine bay these days.

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Of course behind the radiator works. Most are there. I don't ever recall a puke tank out front. In front being, outside, behind would be under the hood(if it has a hood).

5. jobob

jobob

I have mine mounted on the firewall of my rpu and has worked for 4 years and 5k miles.I run 5/16 brake line over the poncho to the puke bottle which is the larger stanless after market type. jobob

6. Mine is mounted on the right side of the radiator frame on my '26. Has been working there for years just fine....

7. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I've seen them hidden in the frame on road course cars.

8. farmer12

farmer12

No reason why it can't. (btw, there's no such thing as a (semi)stupid question, we're all here to learn and share)

9. driver's side on mine

10. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

^^^ This I like!^^^ Ask a question and get a response, not bashed for trying to learn. Yes, the tank should be fine behind or beside the radiator.

11. bmxarmy

bmxarmy

So if i can learn something for this.....Any height issues or anything for an airlock problem?

12. Keep it as close as possible to the height of the radiator cap. The puke tank should have a siphon tube in it. As the engine cools, it will pull water back into the radiator. It should still work down low, but keeping it up high make this easier.

13. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

yep that is a semi stupid question....a waste of space

14. oj

oj

Back when we used a scirocco radiator they'd puke so much that we'd add another large tube crossmember behind the rearend and run a hose back to it to prevent any serious overflow getting to the rear tires - this was on a prostock or top sportsman type car, late 70's into the 80's - the tank was a structural part of the frame and there'd be a handle stick out the rear valance to open a petcock to drain it. Put it wherever, unless you want to use it as a surge tank and then you just need to get it into a convenient location like a modern car so you can monitor liguid level or add fluid.

15. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

I use an empty tall can, is this bad?