Register now to get rid of these ads!

Semi OT: legality of jump seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlackFlag, Jan 29, 2006.

1. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

I was wondering if anybody could tell me about the legality of having jump seats on a truck right behind the cab facing backwards? Can it be done without getting in big trouble. I would re-inforce the mounts of course, but will the CHP try to bend me over.

2. In this state, you have to have them bolted thru the floor and washered. ALso seat belts are required.

3. 47bob

47bob

The Subaru "Brat" came from the factory that way. Bob

4. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

Subaru brat eh? That almost makes me want to change my mind, but I could use the extra passenger room. So its required to be bolt and washer to the floor....and thats it? Do you think that would make it strong enough to hold a lets say 225lb person per seat? Ill probably just put a functional roll/light bar behind the cab and tie that into the frame along with a 2x2 .15" thick sqaure bar or tube running across and tie them into that as well as the floor.

5. go to this link, laws on cargo seating, http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:pO8OR5GngYQJ:www.carseat.org/Legal/6_sum_CA_Law.pdf+california+law+pickup+seats+in+bed&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

6. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

Thanks! If I am interpreting this right, all I need to do is have seats and seat belts that meet the safety standards. Does "no federal safety standard exists for anchorage of belts in cargo areas" mean that there is no minimum safety or it cant be done in a cargo area? That may be exactly what I need to print out and take in the glove box...I love the HAMB.

7. or as my older brother the lawman has to look at the other side, since no fed standards exist in a cargo area how can you transfer known fed standard restraints into a cargo area?kind of a catch 22. i would ask the CHP get a ruling that way, they are not gonna sign off a restraint system when there is no federal standard puts them in harms way when somebody gets killed:) the brat qualified for passenger staus because it was not a pickup in the eyes of the U.S.,the bed has no impact collision and passenger impact areas ,i would say you will not be able to do it:confused:

8. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

I was worried about the safety too, but I think that with a funtional rollcage/lightbar on the sides of and above the seats it should be plenty to restrain. There is also a camper shell on it right now, but I dont think that it is strong enough.

9. if it has a enclosed box, camper shell, what ever, you dont need any seats, no nothing ,just put the people in the box and of you go, kind of stupid law:rolleyes:

10. Deco

Deco

"So its required to be bolt and washer to the floor....and thats it?"

Nope, that's not going to pass the muster. You will need put some plate steel underneath the mounts for both the seats and the belts. Don't rely on the steel bed to be strong enough. It will just tear.

11. Muttley

Muttley

HAHAHAHAHA....Subaru Brat, the official car of Meth usuers and toothless rednecks.