Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Semi-dummy spots. An idea, sort of tech-ish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kripfink, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Customs and spotlights, go together. Kind of like bacon and eggs, don't they? Yet real ones have limited functionality and are usually expensive, dummy ones serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever. Spotlights on a Kustom are a dumb idea. So why have I spent the last two years agonising about and trying to justify the use of the cheap set I have had in the garage? I finally came up with the answer;
    because I like the way they look, that's it, end of discussion, game over player one. And on top of that I think I've found a way to make them, sort of vaguely useful. So with the proviso that I am easily distracted by shiny things, that I didn't want to drill a huge hole in my a posts for real ones which are impossible to get over here anyway, and with an apology to anyone who has done this before (although I haven't seen it posted on here before), this is what I and my best friend Jeff, who is my hands, got up to today. Apologies for the crap photos, we're just not professionals.
    Set of dummy spots, two green 10 W bulbs, two bulb holders, drill, wire;

[​IMG]

Three well sealed and very small drill holes which will be relatively easy to fill and touch up. The middle hole is for the wire to run through under the dash;

[​IMG]

Mounted and wired up to the light switch so that they come on when the running lights are engaged;

[​IMG]

just a daylight shot of the Kripple Kart with new spots;

[​IMG]

Various shots of the overall idea that don't do it justice;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the final one that probably best shows what I'm trying to achieve;

[IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n203/bosshoss65/greenspots018.jpg

I dare say there are many out there you this whole thing is a pointless exercise in bolting on unnecessary shit. You may very well be right, and of course, you're entitled to your opinion. But to me personally nothing stamps Kustom on an old truck quite like spotlights. Just a crazy little idea I thought I'd share with you guys.
    Paul

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. nwaringa

nwaringa

I dig the idea KF. I just picked up this one for my truck cheap at the swap. They are more functional than you think and I have a strange draw to them that cannot be explained.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I dig it, always liked spots but I think the Dummys just look better. Good way to get more bang for your buck!

4. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I find spots over here in the Pull a Part for $5 each from old taxis which were police cars. I can keep a look out for them and send you some over if you want. I like my spots, but I like functional.

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Interesting idea there. Any glare problems at night? Might make cool nighttime turn signals

6. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I picked up a OEM ford spot light for my F100 and installed it in the existing hole. It fills the hole, looks great and the other day my headlight switch failed and flipped it on and got home!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Not bad for an accessory.