Register now to get rid of these ads!

Selling a car ... is Longwood Inc a scam, or legit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skankin' Rat Fink, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Hey everyone. I have my truck up for sale on the HAMB and Craigslist, and I received a voicemail from a company called Longwood Inc that said they can help me sell the truck. I know the call was from Craigslist because I actually spoke to one of their representatives on the phone. What I was wondering is this: has anyone here used them? Are they a scam or are they legitimate?

The voicemail I received from them was obviously pre-recorded, and I think this is a little shady. When I called them up and gave them my phone number, though, they had saved my info from the CL ad and had it all on file. For $250 they sell your car in 90 days at your asking price, or they refund you $220. For $150 they'll do it without the guarantee.

I told the representative I would be calling back after I had thought about it. A quick Google search for "Longwood Inc" turned up a small handful of websites where people complain about businesses. People are upset because technically the way they contacted me is against Craigslist's terms of service. I'm not really that concerned about that if they're a useful service. People also say that they collect credit card info before they ever show you a contract.

Bottom line ... anyone use them? Or will it be enough when I just put the truck on eBay? Thanks guys, I value your opinions.

2. scam....Been contacted by them too.

3. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

How do you know they're a scam, exactly?

4. skullhat

skullhat

even if its not a scam you are getting boned for another add, think about.....250, refund 230, might as well just put in another add, lol

skull

5. Go ahead and send them money,,you want get a dime back!,,it's a scam with a capital S. HRP

6. If it's not a scam, it sure as hell raises the "no way in hell" flag

7. rusty28a

rusty28a

Never heard of them but if you were to get a bone-ing, someone named "Longwood" would give it to you. If you want to risk the money, put an ad in Hemmings AND ebay for that kind of money. Also, even if they are not a scam, always go with your gut. The worst you will have to do is to apologize to yourself. Best regards, Rusty

8. I don't, But I've "talked" with them a few times. They just doesn't come across as legit. I think they will take your money and not sell your car. Just my gut instinct telling me this. I sell a lot of stuff on craigslist. They come off as really shady. I don't deal with shady. That is all.

9. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

They are a scam !

If you don't believe it,call your state Attn Ofc,and ask them OR

CALL your state BBB.they will be more than happy to give you all the info that you need.

If that don't work for you ,Go ahead and list it with them ,

after that keep a eye on your CC statements and see what happens ,

then LET US KNOW!

10. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Will if they will ignore Craigs list policy, what makes you think they will honor any agreement thy make with you?

If you google the company there are a lot of complaints, no good reviews, not sure any amount of positive feedback would of set all the negative, M2c

11. blt2go

blt2go

as soon as i get the "this is a little shady" feeling, i distance myself as fast as possible.

12. this is how I look at it.

They are just going to be listing the car. You still have to deal with all the bs. Why would I Loan $250 bucks for 90 days only to get back $220. If I was to list 334 cars for people and didn't sell a single car I would still make $10,000. You also get to borrow $83,500 for 90 days, interest free i might add. Maybe I should get into this.:D

13. Send me $30.00 bones and I'll try to sell your car for 90 days too !!! SCAM !!! Sorry >>>>.

14. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

Put that way it sounds like a damn good idea!
    I've been contacted by them (or someone like them) too. Left messages telling them if they could guarantee a sale they might as well just front with the cash now! Still waiting to hear back...

15. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

be careful...I had something like this call me when I had a vette for sale....go the other way...better safe than sorry!:eek:

16. Interesting that not a single answer is saying Longwood is legit. I had some car PARTS for sale on Kijiji. I got the Longwood call saying they could sell my car(?) for me (the advert was just for parts). They said they had a buyer interested in my car (huh?...if that was true why didn't the buyer contact me directly, all my info was in the ad). My "scam detector" was going off big time. Back away from these people, do NOT give them any information.

As I recall, this scam...ahhh, I mean Longwood Inc. was based in the States and I am in Canada, yet they claim they have a buyer for my car. Yeah right.

17. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

18. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

Sounds like a business plan to me!:eek:

19. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Well, looks like the mob has spoken. Thanks for the input, guys.

20. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

c'mon guys LONGWOOD, peter large, dick long, won hung lo, etc... scam

21. super-six

super-six

If they have a buyer for your car, sell it to them and let them sell it to their "buyer".

22. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I got that call last week about my Caprice. Gave me a bad vibe. I'll try ebay.

23. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

24. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Screw them, I have sold several cars on carsonline.com. One listing fee, 65.00, you are allowed four pictures, you can edit the whole time the car is listed and it's on there till it SELLS! Can't beat that, check it out, I'm always on there looking at the projects section....an illness I know!