Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sedan Guys lets talk gas tanks locations and back seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

As I put my plan together I will asking tons of questions and looking for ideas and pics..

I have not decided whether I will got with a 32 rear tank or an inside set up (and bobbed the rear frame).. Who are using a 32 style tank and who are not. For those that are not, where did/are you putting the tank and are you running a back seat... (a flat one under the rear seat, or a thin tall one behind it ??? or something else

Got pics, that would be great also

2. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Are you building a Deuce Sedan?

3. I used a late 6o's falcon tank in my A sedan. The Falcons and Mustangs used a flat tank that was actually the trunk floor. I mounted one in the back, and built a platform on top of it to mount my rear seat to. I used a small third row seat from a Dodge Colt wagon. Headroom in the back isn't the greatest, but I don't plan on having too many adult passengers back there anyway. The tank holds about 18 gallons.I'll try a picture...

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Model A sedan... Sorry I forgot to mention...

Would like to see the Falcon set up

5. I must have deleted the picture I had. I can take a picture of what it looks like finished, if you want. Prettty slick setup, the measurements are almost perfect.PM me if you want the looooong version of how I did it.

6. jdubbya

jdubbya

On my 28, the frame is 2x3 homemade with a 3' channel on the body. The rear has a big step, therefore a backseat is out of the question. The previous owner put in a rectangular tank across the back, it is approx. 22 gallons, a bit of overkill, but I don't have to fill up too much.

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

If you go 32 frame.....by all means use a stock Deuce type tank. It hides the rear end and gives the sedan a 'more finished' look IMHO. Do not get caught up in the '32 Ford extra capacity' gig. Most are ugly and you do not need more than 12 - 13 gallons of fuel. At 15MPG, you can run 150 miles and still have a couple gallons left. I always need to stop and take a bathroom break, buy a soft drink, walk about or something after 150 miles anyway [​IMG]. If I don't ...SHE DOES >> [​IMG] My 32 will go from my house in Columbia to Pigeon Forge TN without a refill (235 miles). I have a stock DEUCE tank. I have never put more than 13.1 gallons (at one time) in it all the 20 something years I have owned it.

There is no other good solution that I know of for a Hiboy Model A. Inside the car..... [​IMG] Under the car......you see everything... [​IMG] The stock cowl tank ? ? Then you get gas on the paint unless you're super careful....and it takes up a lot of dash room.

[​IMG]

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you comin to pick up the engine hoist today or WHAT??

If you are definately goin' with a deuce frame, do the deuce tank. Cut off framerails in the rear look kind of goofy.

Se ya, -Abone.

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Flamer, have not heard from Harold and I got caught up rebuilding my backseat...

10. Boones.....If your gonna use that imaginary deuce frame I found in the barn! [​IMG] Go ahead and use the deuce tank too! [​IMG] [​IMG]HRP

11. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

If your running a Deuce frame go with the stock set-up.If your running a fendered "A" go with saddle tanks.
    I wouldn't put it inside unless I had a fuel cell.

Attached Files:

12. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about using the stock tank? Just curious

13. Why is it no one uses the cowl tank?.......hell, in most of the later pick-ups you are sitting on or sitting in front of the tank. Also just curious.......
    CT.

14. old beet

old beet

Couple of friends got killed a few years ago with an inside tank in "A" sedan, got hit from behind, instant fire....OLDBEET

15. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

yeah, why is it no one uses a stock A cowl tank? I'm very interested in this topic as I very badly want an A sedan hiboy, but want room for the wife and kids..but I really don't know crap about them(trying to learn)

16. DRD57

DRD57

I ran the stock tank in my A coupe for a couple years. There are some things to consider.
    1. It only hold 10 gallons so, range is somewhat limited.
    2. It's nearly impossible to fill up without spilling some gas on the cowl and it doesn't take much to make a big smelly mess.
    3. With the tank higher than the downdraft carb a ball valve should be installed and used every time the engine is shut off. Without the valve if the carb float gets stuck down the entire contents of the gas tank can empty themselves into the engine which can hydraulic when attempting to start it.
    4. Dash is very space constrained.
    5. Gas fumes in the interior.

17. dixiedog

dixiedog

Boones -
    i have thought about using a tank from an old Willys Jeep CJ2A 3A early 5, they fit under the drivers seat (8"tall) have the sending unit. Maybe mount it on top of the kick up in the back and use a cover. For mine, I am going to use a 15 gal cell just like the one in the bed of my truck.

oh yeah - I havent gotten out to the shop to take those pics yet, should get out there this afternoon, sorry [​IMG]

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Using the stock cowl tank is just not in the picture for me.. I want to use a different dash and will need the space for the gages..

Oldbeet, I have never been a fan of inside tanks for the reason you mention... but it does look clean without a tank hanging in the wind... so I get tempted...

Sedan dad, With fenders I would consider saddle tanks..

19. We used a cell in the last one I was involved in. No back seat, but the car was caged, so it didn't matter. If I were building another one I'd find a thin tank(or fab one)and put it under the back seat. I would build the floor over the tank. No way would I want the tank inside the car.

20. plmczy

plmczy

I've been thinking about the same thing for my 31 Dodge. I'm not sure where I would put it. later plmczy

21. laverda

laverda

I do not have personal experience with the saddle tanks, but, after a fairly comprehensive web search the comments were usually pretty consistent:
    -a real pain to fill as most gas pump lines will not reach to the far side
    -each single tank is small
    -side impact concerns, wrong side of the frame rail
    -not efi friendly
    -polyethelene tanks tend to warp

I am leaning toward a tank under a raised floor. I know it is not an old school trick but wondered about having a fire supression system near the tank, below the floor. The racers out there must know something about this. Thanks to all for the info on this critical design/problem.

later,
    papa al

Great car but a crazy location for the tank, non-smokers only [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. LOUDpipes

LOUDpipes
    from Finland

One pic says more than a bunch of words [​IMG] Anyway this quite classy solution was spotted in Sweden if you deside to hide the tank inside the cabin.

Attached Files:

23. LOUDpipes

LOUDpipes
    from Finland

From the other side...

Attached Files:

24. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Loudpiper, thanks for that pic... I have bee thinking about a gas door solution if inside and thouht of two methods.. First is to sink a licence plant and make it fold down and put it behind.. the other is to run the round pontiac taillights and go with a round one like you show but mount a pontiac tail light on it so it distracts from the gas door lines (would require a tank that was shorter then the one you showed but I think it would a slick way to hid a door..

What would be wrong with using an inside tank but mount a firewall (plate) over it to seal it from the rest of the interior area??? basically make it part of the floor that would unbolt for access...

25. [ QUOTE ]

What would be wrong with using an inside tank but mount a firewall (plate) over it to seal it from the rest of the interior area??? basically make it part of the floor that would unbolt for access...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I'd do it.

26. mecutem

mecutem

Interesting post.......I want an inside tank in my Lo1 real bad but the "what ifs" keep haunting me. I have been in collision repair most all my life. The fear of getting hit in the rear by another vehicle is very possible if the car is driven very much. A full size pickup going 30 mph will peel the body towards the driver several feet on a parked 30's sedan body. Anything steel is going to rip crumple and fold. I can't help thinking the tank is going to get blasted apart and fuel will fill the car.

I can remember the pinto's were know as bombs because on a rear impact the gas tank would rupture and burst into flames. Those tanks were under the cars floors and many people still lost their lives because of the gas tank location.

If I can get the guts to go inside I feel the safest way may be a fuel cell mounted low enough in the frame to give at least some protection. Old cars are not safe to begin with on todays roads and I will take my chances on a crash......but burning up bothers me.

Heres one more thought ....seat backs bend and sometimes brake off allowing front passengers to be slung to the rear of the body compartment (slip right out of most seat belts).

I want a tank inside but I am concerned. Two young kids hit a tree just a little ways from my home 10 years back or so and they were pinned in the car. Neighbors were trying to keep the fire down as the two people inside were screaming.Pouring gallons of milk and water over them as the fire got hotter and hotter. The two young people burned up in the car before rescue arrived. Very sad and proof to me that bad things do happen.

I am thinking gas tanks must be in a protected place not easily accessed by an intruding vehicle. I am more comfortable with the stock model a tank location than one mounted in my backseat. Steve

27. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am thinking of running a nerf bar ( T bar) like an old race car would have for being pushed which would help if hit.. If you get hit in a sedan as hard as Deuce Roadster did in his 40 coupe, I do not think anything is going to help, no matter where the tank is...

28. LOUDpipes

LOUDpipes
    from Finland

Yep Boones I think your solution is the best compromise one can think of. And the way to disquise the gas fill door is right on. Talking about safety I´m more than a bit worried getting rearended with my AV8 with the deuce tank sitting right next to the spreader bar. But then again if that is ALL that matters we´d be drivin tanks (SUVs, Volvos ??)

29. I installed a "firewall" like Boones mentioned when I did mine. I don't have under construction pics anymore, but here's what it looks like with the seat installed, let's see if my picture comes up....

Attached Files:

30. Hey! My picture came up! Not only will it show how high the rear floor will be with the Falcon tank, it also shows off some kickass upholstery work by HAMBer dondanno.......