Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sectioned aprons?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barbarian, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Doing research on the direction I want to go with my 31 roadster build. Stock style frame, not sure if I want to channel it or not, won't be running fenders. Trying not to channel it unless I have to, but I do like the look of it channeled just over the frame rails. I'm short so interior space isn't a real issue.
    I wish I had the funds 32 rails but that's not in the cards so looking for the next best thing. I like the look of aprons on a fenderless roadster but they often only look good straight on from the side, all other angles you see where they stop and end and it looks off. Has anyone built any custom aprons? Maybe section and extend stock ones? IMG_2308.JPG IMG_2311.JPG IMG_2313.JPG IMG_2320.JPG IMG_2324.JPG IMG_2325.JPG I found some pictures for inspiration (some stolen from on here on the louvers thread).

Stogy, chop job, tb33anda3rd and 3 others like this.
  2. I'm with you on the unfinished end look. I'm working on a Channeled 30 Roadster and had plans to build some 2" tall splash aprons and run all the way forward to the spring crossmember and back to the notch in front of the rear axle then make a 3" radius going under the car fastening the inside edge to the Frame rails. This would just give the bottom edge a finished look similar to a roll pan but not one. I took Norms T as inspiration as far as giving a finish over all look. I have since gone a different direction.
    DSC_0336-vi.jpg

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way way back in the dark ages before the internet someone formed up some full length "aprons" on a rod that did just about what you are asking about. At first glance they looked like nicely shaped rails front to rear.

4. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Found these from a 2016 hot rod mag article

Attached Files:

loudbang and Stogy like this.

5. [​IMG]
    Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I like it!

loudbang likes this.
  6. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

That looks pretty slick. Some that I've seen don't look complete without the hood on, this one does.

loudbang likes this.
  7. I cut down the aprons on my Channeled full fender model A. you can see the full height between the cab and rear fender, and the much shorter apron under the door. I also had to re-shape the front apron to flatten it out.

All I did was mark it off and fold a 90, that goes under the body, had to make small notches for the running board brackets.
    Apron.jpg

apron-paint.jpg

RustyBullet, tb33anda3rd, hfh and 3 others like this.
  8. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

That truck is bitchin!

Stogy likes this.
  9. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Never noticed that concept before – I like it! I would like to see a straight-on shot of the truck.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20171031_123755.jpg

:rolleyes:...I believe Jerry fabbed these...they are basically sheet bent at 90° and punched, striped, trimmed to suit at each end with the split bone passing through about a 1" or so hole, fitting between the frame and body as stock. While this is a 29 you certainly could apply similar to your configuration.

loudbang likes this.
  11. [​IMG]
    Let's see here. What one looks best.
    [​IMG]
    Ya, I thought so too. The Craftsman ship speaks for itself.

loudbang likes this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Maybe a PM to @Dean Lowe I'm pretty sure this one is his :)

[​IMG]

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me they represent 2 different inspirations...each achieves a look and many would say era of origin...

0_20200928_175519.jpg

:rolleyes:...Rumbling like a Charm...;)

I would like to run a used Guide Headlight without the upper running light to upgrade the night vision which is less than stellar...preferring plated to compliment the shiny...

The other thing about this Bomber is I look at it as a postwar Hotrod that has made it to 1963/4...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's another solution. This is an A frame with some covers made to mimic a 32 frame.

1936277_151480716479_4195412_n.jpg

15. To me and even Pre 1964 we had we had Quality built Hot Rods and the others. Nothing that we would call todays Rat Crap. I think that was because there still was a lot of Good stuff to be had. I guess I just always was impressed with the builds that showed Craftsman over Back Yard builds. I grew up in the Back Yard worked up to pretty good Craftsman and found satisfaction somewhere in the middle. Probably why the aprons on the Sport Coupe that appeals to me does.

16. I had to lighten it up a bit so you can see the aprons. the front apron is not on here, I think I was messing with the cowl band and new hood.
    ModelAProfile.jpg

Stogy, loudbang and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always think of the Kurtis/Summers crowd that could build Hotrods in a Coach-like manner and they were definately influential and active in this regard even though their focus may have been Indy or otherwise...

That said I again have great appreciation for the primitive builders of which many nailed a look even with it being rough around the edges...

loudbang and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Such a cool Hotrod @flt-blk...I never tire of seeing it...;)

loudbang likes this.