Register now to get rid of these ads!

Seattle area '57 Chevy Gasser 'unearthed', anyone know this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by houseofhotrods, Mar 30, 2008.

1. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Howdy. This '57 Chevy was just brought into the light of day and here to Oregon just this week, where it will be returned to driver, at least 1/4 miler status (maybe streetable - barely?) , something we don't think it's done for 30 years or more, it's been stored for at least the last 26 years. The car is from the Seattle area, obviously was a 1/4 mile car, though we wonder if it didn't see some 60's street duty - the doors show A/7 in big lettering under it's second coat of paint, and a name on top of the door, as well as some wording down the 1/4's we can't quite make out. It was most likely small block 4 speed powered, but maybe a big block was put in later. I would assume this is something to do with Altered, given the setback of the engine. The car appears to have been a factory black car, and we were told it was made into a drag car starting in 1959 using an 11k mile car - which is possible as clean as the what appears to be never rusted never hit sheet metal is. We have no docs or proof to conform this, just what we had been told. The rear is a 57 or so Pontiac or Olds and is coil srung, and the chassis appears to have been pro built (maybe by someone name Green?). There's some cool things going on, and the later work such as the last engine cross member is not as cool. Tons of lightening have been done, down to removing the inner trunk structure for weight savings I would presume. The car is exactly as found, and in pretty amazing condition considering what could have happened. The slicks are so deteriorated the tubes barely hold air long enough to load and unload, but not for long!!! Any leads or info or interesting stories, would be greatly appreciated!!! Tim :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

That's Bad Ass! You should just bolt check it, put some fresh tires on it, drop a Ground Pounder in it, and drive the hell out of it...Just like it is.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

3. Sweet find!!! I,d be looking from every angle and lighting possible to read what is under that paint. A definite blast from the past!

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

How do you find this stuff. Isn't there a Jim Green up this way that did chassis work (the name sound familiar). I am sure there will be others that will recognize the car.

What size are the rear rims and tires? they fit nice

5. Tony

Tony

That's unreal!!!
    Great find!!
    I WANT IT!

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Tony I thought the same thing and I have one. (like you do)

7. moses

moses

jim green's ptreformance center lynnwood wash. 425-774-3507

8. Engine setback looks like 10%, which was allowed for gassers.
    Altereds were allowed 25% setback.
    Nice car.

9. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

Wow-that's really an amazing old race car. Must have really been a terror at the strip!

10. scrape

scrape

that is very cool !!!
    and i have got to see more pics of it....
    any pics of the front and rear susp or the int?????
    how about a less artsy pic of the whole car......

11. slammed

slammed

Droolin' heavy over here mister! More pic's please.

12. very cool find, cant wait to read more.
    Al.

13. unklgriz

unklgriz

Call and talk to Jim about the car. He may or may not know, but he might be able to point you in the right direction. He's been restoring some of the old FEDs from around there.

Jim used to run the "Green Elephant" funny car in the '70's.

I don't recall seeing that '57 before. There used to be a candy apple red '57 running around there back in '72-'77 that had a straight axle on it.

What part of Seattle did the car come from?

Larry

14. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Larry - the car came from the Lynnwood area. We are going to call Jim today. One possiblity is that it was built and NOT seen out and about, or maybe never totally finished, though I doubt that - it does posess some battle scars indicating it was raced, or at least ran hard. Doesn't much matter either way, it would just be nice to be respectful of the original build (motor/trans/induction etc) if it has some known history. Heck maybe the powertrain is in someone's garage waiting! :)

15. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I love cut up old race cars!

16. unklgriz

unklgriz

Being that it's from Lynwood, I wouldn't be surprised if Jim knows the car. It may have been one of the local street racers from back then too. I know for a fact that there were some damn fast cars that used to cruise Golden Gardens up there. I grew up in West Seattle and there were some really fast cars roaming the streets. My older brother and my unkle were among the few. My brother drove a primer gray '55 Chevy with a very healthy 327 under the hood. My unk had a custom '56 Chevy that was blue with a white interior.

Good luck in your quest.

Larry

17. Very neat find.....:)

18. SHRUM

SHRUM

Damn keep us updated. Very cool find.

19. that is one kick azz 57 !!very cool find

20. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Very cool, thats a nice project. cant wait to see future pictures.

Jon

21. 1320Paul

1320Paul

More pics of the front end if possible please!!

22. More pics definetly, also keep us posted on this sweet thing!

23. ratty46

ratty46

Man , what a GREAT find. If only I could be so lucky !!!

24. Johnny99

Johnny99

I was a Lynnwood, Everett, Colby cruizin, 64 funny car- fox hunt attending jacked up Camaro driving rat about the time that thing should have been prowling, I DONT ever remember seeing it. I do remember the red one mentioned in the above post, I do remember a red jacked up 57 getting its tranny ripped off in the Lynnwood Safeway parking lot! :eek: OUCH! Big Block with Crower injection sticking out the hood would be tuff! on that thing. John

25. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Very cool!!! Do her justice.:cool:

26. Thumper

Thumper

:eek::eek: "Fast Freddie !!! :eek::eek: Holy shit Batman !!

27. FWilliams

FWilliams

kinda looks like an old Spivey/Anderson car from everett

there was also one that used to be parked at pignataro chevrolet in everett in the late 70's early 80's.......belonged to a mechanic there.... had the same paint scheme, although it ended up with some mural painted on the deck lid.

28. rainh8r

rainh8r

That's probably is the 57 that sat in a friend's field for years in Redmond. I took the 5 gal. Moon tank off it 10 years ago or more. Scott Botting bought it from Frank years ago. PM me I can get you Frank's phone number if you like-he may know more about the car, although it never did drive while he owned it that I know of. I believe it had a big block in it at one time, but I don't remember the history of it beyond that.

29. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Amen to that! Don't change a thing, cept maybe the tires like he said.:cool: