Register now to get rid of these ads!

Seats for Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Licensed to kill, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

Could we see some pictures of the seats being used in Model A's. What cars make good seat donors?.

Thanks

2. 41 C28

41 C28

I built the seat in my roadster and used the original seat in my coupe.
    Back row mini vans seat from Dodge Caravans are used also school bus seats.

3. my son bought new jeep seats for a couple hundred bucks and they look like they were made for his 31

4. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Back row mini vans seat from Dodge Caravans fits in my 28 a treat.

5. Do a search, I know there is a particular thread that some one did with like every seat combo you could think of, I'm trying to find it now,,,
    Anybody know which one I'm talking about?

6. jamie2008

jamie2008

cavalier seats worked great for me. if you leave the seat risers on them, then they bolt up to the original holes in the for subfloor for the original seat.

7. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

What year Cavalier?

You guys got any pix?

8. jamie2008

jamie2008

9. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

I was thinking of using '64-'65 ford mustang buckets in my '30 A roadster. I like the style and stitch work, plus they fold!! Anyone know where i can find some measurements on these??

Attached Files:

10. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

Thanks grits, great info should we decide to go with a bench. I'ld like to compare what's available for buckets also as we haven't decided which way we are going to go. Thanks again.

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Call me crazy, but I'm using '29 Sedan seats in my '29 Sedan. Don't even have to recover them!

12. I'd like to see some of these seats, anyone?

13. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Rolf did an upholstery thread a couple of years ago. Probably in the tech archive. He did a great job of showing how his seat was done.

14. Thanks Scotty, I was looking at that just the other day, the mans a genious, I'll have to go back to it again,don't remember what he started with.
    I have an original seat in the 30 coupe, feels like a trampoline and sits to high for me.
    Looking at a Caravan seat.

15. jimstro16

jimstro16

I bought this seat locally for $75. Guy said it was out of a 1950 pickup. I wanted a full spring bench for my '32 chevy sedan. Took a few weeks but I found one. I am going to cut the frame of it to fit the drive shaft tunnel under it, lower the height of it 2", reweld and cover it. SHould be an easy setup.

Attached Files:

16. my 29 sedan is a survivor last painted and upholstered in the 60s to my knowledge. It came with some buckets from what looks like 50s Volkswagon...tube frame, flip up to get in back . Still have the old oxblood (redish/black)vinyl from who knows when...

17. I remember those from my sisters vdub, "wow" that takes me back,
    Thanks

18. Here's mine, 99 Dodge Caravan center seat. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks but I may go with a tuck & roll design if I get bored this winter. I got the whole interior out of the Caravan and used the material to do the door panels & kick panels. The whole thing was about $100.00.

Attached Files:

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

that is exactly the seat going into the back of my sedan.

Sweet idea on using what you had cheap..it looks nice, and a good base to change your look if you like.

would like to score a set of the VW seats to see how they would fit up front.
    not sure if the ones i have are going to work out or not. Mostly when it comes to letting the back seat passengers in and out

20. cwl52

cwl52
    BANNED

s10 bench seats fit perfectly.... and i have a perfect one p.m. for pics

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am running early '80's Ford Econoline van low-back buckets. The high trans tunnel precludes a bench. I will re-cover them in a more "classic" fashion over the winter. They are kind to my skinny bee-hind.

22. danz35

danz35

65 mustang buckets are the way to go.They look good 'cause they have a short backrest.New covers are avail. online in many colors.Any late model bucket looks out of place IMO.If you want a bench,Chrysler mini van fits ok,but costly to recover at an upholstery shop.

23. pecker head

pecker head

1/2 square tubing, some angle iron, plywood and foam !

24. nor cal nic

nor cal nic

something i found out the 'hard way'... if you install seats that have seat belts you must use the seat belts as required by law, at least here in California even if you have a pre-seatbelt equipped car. a little o/t but just thought i'd put it out there as i saw belts in the pics...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  25. Mines a Dodge Caravan seat too. Gonna do tuck-n-roll on it soon. The fit is perfect.

26. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I put 64/65 Mustang seats in my "30 Tudor. Width-wise it's a snug fit.They were cheap, and are way more comfortable than the original seats. Also they're lower, perfect for a 3-4 inch chopped top.

27. MoparBruce

MoparBruce

I used a middle seat out of a late 80's Caravan in my 29 and if fit perfectly. However, I just did a middle seat out of a 2001 Caravan in a 31 Pickup and there is a TON of room left. Something I noticed, the late 80's seat has TWO folddown armrests, the 2001 has only one. I got my first one for free waiting in line at the scrap yard - the guy in front of me had a Caravan he was scrapping. The second one cost 25.00. Just a suggestion or two because I did it wrong a few times - #1 kick the front of the seat up two inches, #2. Make sure the seat adjusts.

Attached Files:

28. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

I used a 2002 Chrysler town & country minivan middle seat in my 30 coupe. It measures 41" wide. When I was looking for a seat, someone gave me the 2 rear seats from a Chevy Astro van for free. I hauled 'em home, but they were way too wide to fit unless you wanted to whack 'em down radically, which would have been more trouble than it was worth. Incidentally, both of those Astro van seats are the same width, and they'll interchange from middle to back in the original application.

I picked up my Chrysler mini van seat for a measly 25 bucks, and after cutting down the seat mounts to lower the height and welding on mounting feet, the seat fits perfectly. Someday, maybe I'll get the seat reupholstered in military canvas and with new foam to get rid of the modern look, but for now, that mousy brown upholstery and the cheap price suit me just fine. It's a comfortable seat, and it's even got a slide-out cup holder, if that's of any importance. Like someone else pointed out, some of the Chrysler products mini van seats offered a release handle on the right side so the seat back could be folded down. Mine doesn't have this feature, but it would be handy. I'm attaching pictures of the original seat that was in my Model A (would've been way too tall with the 4" chop without altering it drastically), the mini van seat as it looked when I bought it, and the mini van seat as installed.
    Craig

Attached Files:

29. 5window

5window

I've got "84 Fiero seats in my '31 coupe.