Register now to get rid of these ads!

seat belts in your hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J Man, Nov 11, 2008.

?

Do you have seat belts in your old car?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2009.
  1. Yes

230 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Some of them

23 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. I will but have not yet

55 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. They were there when I bought the car

5 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

I put them in for the rear seat where the kids ride, but Ive seen a few wrecks where if a belt had been worn, theyd of been killed for sure. Im on the fence about them. I kind of feel that the seat belt thing is just revenue for the state, Ill put them in for myself when the kids on crotch rockets cant wear flip flops, shorts, and need shirt & a helmet.

2. got em in the 29 roadster.

3. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

That is actually a federal thing

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

to be perfectly blunt about it, I'd be a damned fool to ride my grandkids around without....................

5. skwurl

skwurl

I got a ticket for no seat belts in my Model a. went to court and lost. I even had a copy of the law in our state which stated that if it didnt come with it you couldnt get a ticket for them. Commies. I got em in there now. I like it better with them . I dont slide around as much rippin up the twisties.

6. Of course, you would be an idiot if you did not. I don't see John Force arguing that "they didn't use em in the old days!" ;)

7. Marc-OS

Marc-OS

This is also a bit of a pet peeve of mine. If you can get a ticket for no seat belt, you should definetely get a ticket for having no protection on a bike.

8. we might have one more rodder alive if this car had them........think about it I did,scared the crap outa me!

Attached Files:

9. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

In New York if you are not restoring the car to original but are modifying it, it is the law here that you have them.Got that straight from the State Police and even more important if you are crusin with your kid

10. face it washington is screwed up hell I got cited more in washington for equipment crap more than in Portland where I lived,dont you guys have a helmet law?? hell I got cited in camas for no front bumper on my model A and no wipers also....got thrown out since my car was legal in the state of register Oregon'''' oh yeah the wiper was a clip on under the seat ..law doesnt say where it has to be

11. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Hadn't really planned on it, but I scored an interior out of a '67 Tbird. Since the front seats have integral seat belts, I guess I will once I got them in the car.

12. sounds like BS from the cop....have them SHOW you the Vech.code and the number they would cite you for///bet they cant

13. iamspencer

iamspencer

connecticut state law

14. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Not required:

§ 547.601. SAFETY BELTS REQUIRED. A motor vehicle
    required by Chapter 548 to be inspected shall be equipped with front
    safety belts if safety belt anchorages were part of the
    manufacturer's original equipment on the vehicle.

(I love Texas)
    Seat belt requirements in Texas are handled just like emissions. If your car didnt come with it, you aren't required to have it.

And now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

15. striper

striper

I reckon this is a fair point but there are an awful lot of crashes that don't involve going upside down. For all of those I want a seatbelt.

16. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just put a set in the T.....I use them now

17. dans30

dans30

yeah I've got 'em in my hotrod. I'm glad I did after the accident I was in on the way to the NSRA Richmond Nats.

Attached Files:

18. 9fingerdoug

9fingerdoug
    from VA

easy way to make my wife think i'm safe:rolleyes:

also makes her happy to ride shotgun:rolleyes:

19. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

I put them in all the cars I build and I don't leave the driveway without buckling up.

20. Roadsir

Roadsir

Years ago my parents 38 chev coupe was hit in an intersection. Mom was ejected onto the street and luckily had no injuries.

This summer a local street rodder was T-boned on a county black-top while driving his 36 chev sedan. He was ejected and killed. The car is on EBAY for sale as we speak by a repairable company in KY. Looks to me he could have survived if there were belts.

I'm trying to change my ways....getting better at belting up especially with my daughter just finishing drivers ed. and is now reminding me more than ever.

There a good thing to have...and use

21. Us old farts like seeing those young guys on crotch rockets (or any bike for that matter) riding around with no protection. When I see one, I see an organ donor!

22. i see it buring another brother i ride with:mad:

23. That why I wear a seat belt in my car and a helmet when I ride my bike. The guys that don't have made a choice and have to live with the results. Life is always about your choices and the consequences of them.

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

If you are going to install them please make sure you install them correctly with a HUGE washer/steel plate under the floor for added strenght. Also, make sure IF they are removed by someone for whatever reason, remember to check that they were reinstalled correctly.

25. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Three point is the only way to go in a closed car.

26. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

It seems like a no brainer to me.

My race cars have 700 hp motors and weigh 2300 lbs.
    My hot rod will have the same motor, and weight about 3500 lbs.

The race cars have alum seats and five point harnesses.
    Ergo, the hot rod will have alum seats and five point harnesses.

It is an enclosed two seater with a cage.

IMO if you're going to build a street legal race car, it ought to have much the same safety equipment as a race car.

27. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

All my cars have belts. A sky dirt sky dirt ride is nothing to a dead blow .I survived many crashes on track and would never hit the streets without belts .c

28. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Indeed.

I've been upside down in a modified, I've hit concrete, I've hit steel, and I've hit everything in between. It is never an easy lick.

There's no impact I can think of on the street where a seat belt would be detrimental. Folks who haven't been in a hit hard before just don't understand how violent an impact can be. Even at low speed, the forces and accelerations experienced can be quite extreme.

I've had my bell rung pretty hard on the track, I can't imagine what a lick like that would be like without the safety equipment in place.

29. floored

floored

My uncle was in an accident many years ago, he was in the passenger seat when the car hit a telephone pole. The pole hit the right side headlight and sliced through the car catching my uncle between the legs he was not wearing a seat belt and was spun out of the car, the seat ended up embeded in the trunk. He still walk's with a cane, but he still walk's.

I take this as a fluke, and wear a seatbelt whenever i'm in a vehicle. Yea i'm uncool I wear a helmet too.

30. Seatbelt.Helmet,Condom...are personal choices and might or might not save your life